Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hooray for my local bike shop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Anyone remember Sandycove Cycles.....i loved this shop....it was packed so full of bikes and bits.
    I do like The Bike Rack....the guys in there are helpfull and friendly and i have bought a good few bikes from them over the years, before that i bought them from Dave English in Ballybrack Shopping Centre before he moved to the Bike Rack.
    Mc Quaids in Dun Laghorie was a bit of a funny shop.......Always felt like nobody was incharge???

I remember Sandycove Cycles well. John Piggott now owns the Bike Rack. He had both of them going at the same time once but unfortunately closed Sandycove Cycles. I remember they had a gold plated racer in the window a long time ago now. The Bike Rack has some nice Fuji's but have found on the rare occasions I'm in there the service to be a bit hit and miss.

Someone on here mentioned Mikes Bikes in Dun Laoghaire. Where abouts are they exactly? Where McQuaids? I just can't picture it in my head but the name is really familliar. Used to know all the bike shops in that neck of the woods.

Cycleways has gone up in my estimation a lot of late but as long as you don't mind chasing them up for parts or bikes ordered then I've found them to be very friendly. Matt in there can be a bit abrupt at times but once you get his undivided attention he's very very good.

Cowan, I intreagued about your thoughts on Cliff esp on the bit of if the thinks he can take you for a ride he will. I think I might have been duped on an Ultegra front derailleur which I presumed was a 6600 (the newer 10 spd version) but after recent cleaning see it is a 6500 which if I'm correct is the older 9 speed version. Not that it probably doesn't make much mechanical difference but I thought I was getting the newer stuff. Hummm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Do you mean Mattie in their workshop? I believe he's gone. He was good, though.
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    Matt in there can be a bit abrupt at times but once you get his undivided attention he's very very good.

Do you mean Mattie in their workshop? I believe he's gone. He was good, though.

If we're tlaking about the Ozzy bloke. No he's back. I was in there this day last week and there he was.

No, this guy was Irish. Yeah, I know the Aussie guy you mean. True, he can be abrupt, but that's the Australian way. They're only abrupt because to conquer a vast country and subjugate or kill its natives, you have to be abrupt. Abrupt and violent. Not that Matt is violent. Well, I suppose he could be but... is it lunchtime yet?
    If we're tlaking about the Ozzy bloke. No he's back. I was in there this day last week and there he was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Big shout out to Cliff in Cyclelogical. The nicest bloke in the bike retailing world.

Unfortunately, as well as the nicest bloke in bike retailing, I have also had to deal with the most ignorant bloke in bike retailing in that same shop. Because of this, I took my business elsewhere. That was over Eur5,000 worth of stuff and no matter how nice Cliff is I won't ever spend money in a shop that tolerates that level of ignorance!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

As I said in my last post (one before last) I'm being swayed. One minute I think he's great and the next I'm drumming my fingers on my chin about him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've never been very impressed with Cycleways. Although its the nearest shop to my house, I'd only ever use it for small stuff like tubes, rim tape etc. Prices there always seem to be well above anywhere else and they often don't have pretty common stuff in stock. What kind of bike shop has no Shimano ten speed chains? The staff there follow you around asking if you need help but when you do ask them something don't seem to know much. I once had to explain to one of them that Dura Ace was a road bike group.

el tonto wrote: »
    I once had to explain to one of them that Dura Ace was a road bike group.

Surely not!

Perhaps you have a staker who followed you into the shop and around it only fopr you to oask them about bloody bike stuff! :rolleyes:

I seem to be left well enough alone. Perhaps I look poor :o

That annoys me about Cycleways. When everything is clearly on display in a shop, as it is in Cycleways, there really is no need for sales staff to follow you round. Maybe they're just trying to help but sometimes I'm made to feel like a shoplifter when all I ever have under me jacket is a couple of wheels and a fistful of notes from the till.

I recommend "Commuting Solutions" in Rathmines. Those guys have the right attitood.
    el tonto wrote: »
    The staff there follow you around asking if you need help but when you do ask them something don't seem to know much. I once had to explain to one of them that Dura Ace was a road bike group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I recommend "Commuting Solutions" in Rathmines. Those guys have the right attitood.
    I also had good service there when I bought my bike last year. The only problem is that it's a very tiny shop with not much room for browsing - a lot of the stuff is hanging up in awkward places eg behind a whole rack full of bikes.

• Advertisement

In fairness to them, they recently moved their workshop to another building nearby so they've been able to enlarge the main shop area by about 50%.
    kenmc wrote: »
    I also had good service there when I bought my bike last year. The only problem is that it's a very tiny shop with not much room for browsing - a lot of the stuff is hanging up in awkward places eg behind a whole rack full of bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Anyone else remember Paddy Wall on Sundrive Road, before he was bought out by Shay Wolfe in the 80's. I think he ended up with a shop on Crumlin Road more recently, but was again bought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I remember Sandycove Cycles well. John Piggott now owns the Bike Rack. He had both of them going at the same time once but unfortunately closed Sandycove Cycles. I remember they had a gold plated racer in the window a long time ago now. The Bike Rack has some nice Fuji's but have found on the rare occasions I'm in there the service to be a bit hit and miss.

Someone on here mentioned Mikes Bikes in Dun Laoghaire. Where abouts are they exactly? Where McQuaids? I just can't picture it in my head but the name is really familliar. Used to know all the bike shops in that neck of the woods.

Cycleways has gone up in my estimation a lot of late but as long as you don't mind chasing them up for parts or bikes ordered then I've found them to be very friendly. Matt in there can be a bit abrupt at times but once you get his undivided attention he's very very good.

Cowan, I intreagued about your thoughts on Cliff esp on the bit of if the thinks he can take you for a ride he will. I think I might have been duped on an Ultegra front derailleur which I presumed was a 6600 (the newer 10 spd version) but after recent cleaning see it is a 6500 which if I'm correct is the older 9 speed version. Not that it probably doesn't make much mechanical difference but I thought I was getting the newer stuff. Hummm.

The gold bike in the window of Sandycove cycles was a Raleigh, i remember it was realy expencive.
    Have been in \mikes Bikes in Dun Laghorie...seems realy good, nice guys....im told it also has a great fishing shop at the rear if thats your thing, its on Patrick Street.
    Mc Quaids is long gone....they had a good selection of bikes at the time....the owner Pat had his office up stairs (i think he was responsibe for gettin the Tour de Fance to ireland) and i think he ran the Nissan Classic from there also.
    Anyone remember Hardings??
    They always had realy flash stuff.
    I always parked my bike in their "Bike Park" at the back of the shop when i cycled into town...it was safe and dry....it was 1pound i think???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Mc Quaids is long gone....they had a good selection of bikes at the time....the owner Pat had his office up stairs (i think he was responsibe for gettin the Tour de Fance to ireland) and i think he ran the Nissan Classic from there also.
    Anyone remember Hardings??

Is that Pat McQuaid of UCI fame? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McQuaid

Advertisement