Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Free compressed air in Limerick

Options
  • 21-01-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Some muppet broke the free digital air pump at my local service station.. (John O' Neil Clarina).... So i went looking for another one.. I tried all the service stations on the dock road and in Dooradoyle and only maxol beside the hospital had one that worked.. and they were charging for it..

Any of the Limerick posters know of a service station around the city that has free compressed air??

Aside>> I cant believe anyone would use the Texaco and Statoil stations, they are utter kips and the prices are insane.. the statoil on the dock road dont even have a sign to display the current price!!!a

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

The statoil on the dick rd does display the price and the air and water is free there.

Other than that i usually call in to a tyre place act dumb and ask for air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

yayamark wrote: »
    The statoil on the dick rd does display the price and the air and water is free there.

Other than that i usually call in to a tyre place act dumb and ask for air

Beg to differ with you there matey but i was just down there and there was no prices and no air.. I even went into the store and asked...

Are you talking about limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I drove around Limerick for 40 fecking minutes one night looking for air, and found nothing only a dodgy half broken one over in Shell near Thomond. Nothing on the dock road, nothing on the Dublin road, nothing in Raheen, some places were closed, it's a feckin sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Shell in Corball and Chawkes in Chawkes. Chawkes are actually very advanced...you select the pressure you want and attach the air hose and it inflates the tyre.

Also O'Brien Kelly Mace on the Ennis road and Statoil next to Supermacs.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Shell in Corball and Chawkes in Chawkes. Chawkes are actually very advanced...you select the pressure you want and attach the air hose and it inflates the tyre.

Also O'Brien Kelly Mace on the Ennis road and Statoil next to Supermacs.

Yes that one at Chawkes sounds like the one that was broken at my local.. very cool little system...

Chawkes are out by the university right, beside superquinn??

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I use the garage in raheen between the regional hospital and the south court hotel (Maxol i think) and they give you a token for the air. Just buy a bottle of water or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Orange69 wrote: »
    Chawkes are out by the university right, beside superquinn??

Thanks!
    Aon am ar bith. Yup thats the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I thought that any chain petrol station had to have air and water services??? I can't remember coming across one up here that didn't anyway... (easy on the "oh ye're so great up in dublin with your air and your water etc". I'm a Dub, by address only.)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

Wow! I have yet to come across a petrol station that charges for air or water :S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Biro wrote: »
    ...and found nothing only a dodgy half broken one over in Shell near Thomond.
    That one worked fine for ages up until a couple of weeks ago - it was the only reliable one this side of town :mad:

There's ones in the two Statoils on the Ennis Road but they're nearly always broken in some form. I used to work in O'Brien Kelly's and the hose for that broke on a regular basis - the pump was right around the back of the place for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think the shell in corbally has one too. The emo place allegedly does on clare street, but not accessible til 10 am or something. (Guy was foriegn). Maxol on clare street definately does.

I can confirm that Chawkes out by the university a digital tyre pump that works and is free! :cool:

Cheers for the heads us 99!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I used to work at Statoil Dock Road and yeah, the air was broken from the time I was there in October up till about a week ago. The air has been working for 2 or 3 . As for not having prices for fuel? Well, there you are wrong. As you go out the door of Statoil, its by the exit to your left.

And, yeah, the prices are steep. I live close enough to Tesco I don't bother with anywhere else, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Orange69 wrote: »
    Some muppet broke the free digital air pump at my local service station.. (John O' Neil Clarina).... So i went looking for another one.. I tried all the service stations on the dock road and in Dooradoyle and only maxol beside the hospital had one that worked.. and they were charging for it..

So you drove around looking for air and refused to pay for it. How much petrol and your own time did you use doing this? Would it not have been cheaper to just pay?

As for air lines not working or making you pay. The air lines themselves have a tendency to walk or get damaged by careless users and they aren't cheap to replace. So the garages that are making you pay are just trying to cover costs and the ones not working are sick of repairing/replacing lines.

I just bought a compessor from Argos and keep that in the boot, no need to ever look for air lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Chawkes and Monaleen stores are the only two service stations in Limerick that i know of that have functioning pumps... I haven't really looked hard, but they arre definites...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Shell on the Corbally road has one, and normally works. Apple Green further out the Corbally road has one, but the last time I tried to use it some knacker had taken the nozzle! :(

Advertisement