Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

115 volt supply

Options
  • 21-01-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Has anyone fitted a 155 volt supply in their house along with the standard 220? My uncle is building a house in Ireland (he will be returning home form US) and would like some 115volt sockets.

Is there much involved..... Is it expensive?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to electrical forum

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Why does he want 115/110V sockets? Is he taking some appliances home? What are they?

He'll need to double the size of the conductor for a start and copper's expensive at the moment so that'll be a few bob. He'll also need a means of stepping the voltage down from 220; a transformer, another few bob depending on what type of a set-up he's thinking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

This should not much of a problem. On building sites we use 110 volt power tools so it is easy to buy 110 volt transformers, sockets, MCBs, plugs etc. All of the big electrical wholesalers will be able to supply you with the equipment no problem.

I have wired 110 volt sockets in sevral workshops.

He'll need to double the size of the conductor

A cable will should have the same cross sectional area if it is carrying 20 amps at 110 volts, 230 volts or 1000 volts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"A cable will should have the same cross sectional area if it is carrying 20 amps at 110 volts, 230 volts or 1000 volts."

True, but a 1000W appliance will use twice the Amps at 110 as it will at 240...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Don't go there, honestly. There's frequency implications etc depending on equipment to be used effecting speeds and AV displays.
    If he has some power tools then it would be easy enough to get a shed wired off a local trafo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Also if you installed a permanent large transformer in the house it would use a lot of power to magnatise and demagnatise the core.... So although you might have nothing plugged in you'll using power. The amount of quiescent current the trafo will require will depend on the size and design of the trafo.

As some have said above the best solution would be to get a 110V transformer for the garage / shed, which could be used for the few bits and pieces he probably has, eg drill battery chargers ect....

Note:- when moving the opposite way, ireland -> US, most big houses there have 2 phases coming in, hence you can use 2 phases and get 210V AC or so... I've used this before for powering 220V equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

True, but a 1000W appliance will use twice the Amps at 110 as it will at 240...
    This goes without saying. With all other things being equal (frequency will be the same) you are going to size the cable according to the size of the current is will carry, length of run etc. You will not change the size because it is at a lower voltage.
    Also if you installed a permanent large transformer in the house it would use a lot of power to magnatise and demagnatise the core....

My understanding is that it will use very little power under no load conditions. There will be some losses but minimal.
    Anyway if you are worried, you could just put a switch on it, problem solved.:D
    This would be good practice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Lets not forget that US electronics are also on a different frequency, so you'd need a frequency convertor too.

Saw a house done in 110 a few years ago - great job. Until the frequency thing came up. Cost a fortune to adapt, iirc......

All in all - not worth the bother - there's nothing on sale in the US you can't get here..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jasgrif11 wrote: »
    Has anyone fitted a 155 volt supply in their house along with the standard 220? My uncle is building a house in Ireland (he will be returning home form US) and would like some 115volt sockets.

Is there much involved..... Is it expensive?

Cheers

This could cost a bit, but its possible, a traffo near the board it the way to go IMO. These things are installed in most new american hotels, Legrand for one manufacture and supply the 110V socket and the traffos are available from wholesalers.
    I dont know about sockets that transform down at source, certainly though my advice would be to take a fresh supply from your board to a 110V traffo and feed a 110V socket circuit from it. The switchgear should be rated to suit the cable

Could cost about €600 or more. If the guy has loads of stuff then the traffo is the way to go, and it is fine having both as long as you keep the sockets different, this is easy one you purchase the correct outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you have 20 amp mcb`s protecting the 110v circuits then as said above you still only need same size cable as 220 volt circuits.

1000w appliance in 110v will be double the current than a 1000w 220v appliance also as said above, although if you got the 1000w 110v appliance and plug it into 220v it would then be a 4000w appliance but not for long :)

Transformers are highly efficient and the losses are extremely small.
    If you have a 10 megawatt transformer, even 1% losses would be 100kw
    in the form of heat, which would be a lot of heat, and in reality lose about 0.25% although this is usually in bigger power transformers, and smaller ones may be less efficient. A decent size transformer would have a bit of a starting current too.

It seems a lot of hassle anyway, as if tv`s and other electronic stuff is to be used from usa, the frequency might cause problems as said by others too.

Just noticed this item is from months ago,

• Advertisement
Advertisement