Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoking ban in MY house.

• 21-01-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

As far as I know it is illegal to smoke in all workplaces in Ireland now. What happens if a painter is working in youre house... Is it illegal to smoke in that room when they are working there (It is their workplace after all) or is it still considered private property?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Please, contact the Office of Tobacco Control and ask them.

Office of Tobacco Control
    Willow House
    Millennium Park
    Naas
    Co Kildare
    Kildare
    IRELAND

Tel: +353 (0)45 852700
    Locall: 1890 333100 <- number specifically for this sort of query.
    Fax: +353 (0)45 852799
    Homepage: http://www.otc.ie
    Email: info@otc.ie

Please.

Yes, your not even allowed to smoke in your car before your driving test.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Yes, your not even allowed to smoke in your car before your driving test.

Ever. FACT!
    Molecules from up to 8.65 months ago could kill the instructor. FACT!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Well I know I wasn't allowed drive in my own car during working hours..mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

As far as I know it's legal for you to smoke in your house as it's your home, it's not legal for at the same time for a painter to smoke in your house as it's his workplace. It's like you smoking in your hotel room and a maid walks in, she can't smoke, you can. Prisons, boarding schools are other places where workers can be exposed to smoke as it's legal for persons who live in such areas to smoke.

• Advertisement

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Well I know I wasn't allowed drive in my own car during working hours..mad stuff.

"Drive" or smoke? Oo

OK. Seriously, OP: http://www.otc.ie/uploads/Employers%20Guidelines%20FINAL.pdf read the exemptions. It doesn't cover your house unless you it's also a space that invites the public (B&B, for example.)
    Although, I could see some chancer trying to make a claim in a few years on the basis that they were on a contract for a long period of time.
    You won't be smoking the room that they're painting anyway, it'd be even worse for your health than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

your House, Your Rules.
    I won't let anyone smoke in my house.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Karoma wrote: »
    "Drive" or smoke? Oo

OK. Seriously, OP: http://www.otc.ie/uploads/Employers%20Guidelines%20FINAL.pdf read the exemptions. It doesn't cover your house unless you it's also a space that invites the public (B&B, for example.)
    Although, I could see some chancer trying to make a claim in a few years on the basis that they were on a contract for a long period of time.
    You won't be smoking the room that they're painting anyway, it'd be even worse for your health than usual.

*Smacks head on keyboard*
    Yes I wasn't allowed smoke in my own car during working hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Are we allowed to smoke while we are modding forums on boards? It is work after all. I forgot to check the handbook :(

*puffs smoke down the intertubes and out of your screen*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I used to think non-smokers were bigger moaners than smokers. Now that I don't smoke, I think smokers are bigger moaners. heh, funny that. Who gives a shit if you have to step outside for your bi-hourly break, you lazy, weak dependant sods :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Quigley Guy

Not planning to get a painter in and starting smoking in his face. Just wanted to know what the situation would be. Was talking about this with a friend of mine a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

IM back smoking, and I would never allow smoking in my house anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Speaking as a painter, you should ask someone who works in your house, do they mind. There's not an awful a guy can do if you're a smoker and smoke in the hosue while they're not there...but in their immeadiate presence it breaks the letter of the law.
    99% of us smoke anyhow and are usually down to earth enough not to give a rat's arse what you do in your own house....and since we're breathing in VOCs and dust all day which do a lot more damgae than a bit of second hand smoke, it's all really a moot point.

Now if you have one of these boys in setting up your new telly or someone fixing your crashed PC, they'll probably complain in triplicate to the HSA about how their lungs were almost fried by an incosiderate oaf who forced them to work in conditions similar to Bejing rush hour on a winter's morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Then again, some people think it's perfectly acceptable to smoke while driving while their kids are in the car.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Im also a painter and would never ask someone to put out a fag in their own home. As a matter of fact I did a job a few months ago where the woman of the house smoked 60 a day and it didnt really bother me although the house stank and all the ceilings were yellow from the smoke.
    Id say carry on, if youre not in the same room as him he can hardly object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

shockwave wrote: »
    and all the ceilings were yellow from the smoke.

Ah now see this is the bit where I tell them that the ceilings need to be washed down or coated in oil to kill the tar...and then I tell them how much extra it'll cost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

ssh dont be given away trade secrets;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

What happens if the owner of a pub lives in the pub also, i.e. its their home. are they allowed to smoke in the public areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Senna wrote: »
    What happens if the owner of a pub lives in the pub also, i.e. its their home. are they allowed to smoke in the public areas?

No
    4. A licensed premises, in so far as it is a place of work.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0481.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Smoking is good fun and it makes you look cool. (Only joking).

Having said that it does harm your health. I am one of those ones who hates the uber PC brigade. I smoke, but in my apartment I will only smoke on the balcony. I don't want the flat to smell of smoke. I do hate the bull**** tha goes on with some of these laws. If a taxi driver wants to have a fag in his taxi while having the window down so what. As long as he is not smoking while carrying passengers. People need to wise up a wee bit. Such is the level of crap in society that it almost makes me want to rebel against it and smoke at every opportunity and in the most inappropriate places.

Smokers, respect the rights of those who don't want to smell smoke. Non-smokers, remember that smokers are not the incarnate scum offspring of Satan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Smokers, respect the rights of those who don't want to smell smoke. Non-smokers, remember that smokers are not the incarnate scum offspring of Satan.
    Oh, here ... move down, ffs!

After that gem of common sense, I'll even come help you move!11! :D

Advertisement