Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning my nice shiny bike

Options
  • 21-01-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

When I clean my bike I normally do it with warm water and a sponge and then leave it to dry. Once dry I then run a rag with WD40 sprayed onto it to give it a shine and it seems to keep the water and dirt of better.

Is it ok to keep putting WD40 onto the paint work? any suggestions for better ways to clean my bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ollietrex wrote: »
    When I clean my bike I normally do it with warm water and a sponge and then leave it to dry. Once dry I then run a rag with WD40 sprayed onto it to give it a shine and it seems to keep the water and dirt of better.

Is it ok to keep putting WD40 onto the paint work? any suggestions for better ways to clean my bike?

would you ever muckoff.jpg great stuff but in small amounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Drapper wrote: »
    would you ever muckoff.jpg great stuff but in small amounts!

i use their bike spray.

muck-off is pretty much the same as wd40 (which is mineral oil) with ptfe (teflon to you) added to it, so they both do the same job for cleaning but the ptfe is supposed to keep the dirt off longer. non-stick you see :)
    but it's quite a bit more expensive than wd40 :(

in my experience about 98% of the problems in any field of life can be remedied with wd40.

ollietrex - wd40 shouldn't do any harm to your paint (unless you painted the bike yourself with poster-paint?), but it will probably attack the adhesive on exposed stickers and decals if you left it for ages. most manufacturers put their decals/logos etc under clear coat so they'll be totally safe though. go nuts.

don't confuse wd40 with chain lube though. it ain't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've never used WD40, so I might be talking through my ass, but isn't it solvent and mineral oil? And if that's the case, wouldn't it just leave a thin film of oil on your frame once all the solvent has evaporated, meaning it is more likely to attract dirt etc?

I use Mr. Sheen to shine mine up.

Anyway, this weather we've been having recently is driving me nuts. The twice weekly bike washing is getting to be a real pain.

Advertisement