Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best saving option

Options
  • 21-01-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking around at the moment for a good savings account. I'll need the flexibility to access my cash whenever I want so I'm not too keen on any accounts that have restrictions on access over a year or two.

We're not talking a huge amount here, couple hundred every month, so I'm thinking rabo, but I'm not sure what else is out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you done a search? There has been quite a few threads about this over the last while which run through the various different options on the market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I've been looking around, but these things change so often I was hoping someone would have a current opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭SEORG

My gf and I are starting to save for our own place and are in the same position. We are not starting with a lump sum but will be saving on a regular basis.

I had a look around and it seems as though First Active have the best options.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭The Rooster

GreenHell wrote: »
    We're not talking a huge amount here, couple hundred every month, so I'm thinking rabo, but I'm not sure what else is out there?
    First Active have at least three different type of savings accounts that have higher rates than Rabo. Best one for you would probably be the Regular Saver Account, currently 7.15% if you can commit to a fixed amount per month (no restriction on withdrawls as far as I know).

I took my money out of Rabo when they reduced their rate from 5% to the current mediocre rate of 4.33%. It is interesting that they are often the name that pops into people's heads first when they think about savings. They know how to market!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

what the credit union like for savings, never hear to much about their rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

First Active, Anglo Irish, Rabo & Northern Rock.

You might also consider your local creit union to try and build up a savings history in case you need loan. The way it works in the credit union, save regularly, apply for a small loan and pay back all the loan regularly and quickly so you don't end up paying too much in interest. Continue saving and then if you need a larger loan quickly with the minimum of paperwork, the credit union is a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Thanks guys,

I'm going to go with first actives eSavers account, later on in the year when I have that extra bit to commit to regular savers account I'm going to have a look see whats available in that area.

Advertisement