Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The role of Executers, Trustees & Guardians in Irish Wills

• 21-01-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Looked at wills.ie and the other threads here dealing with wills and Trustees.

From wills.ie

"Giving everything to partner and/or in trust for your young children. Appointment of guardians, executors and trustees"

Am clear on the role of the Executor but am unclear on when Trustees and/or guardians are required.

I suspect a Trustee is required to cover off, in a simple case, the situation if children who are less than XX years old are orphaned.

Outside of the terms of a will do childern become adults at 18?
    Can the will be used as a mechanism to extend the age beyond this, to say 25?

Where does the Guardian come into the deal?.

Any comments/links would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ircoha wrote: »
    Am clear on the role of the Executor but am unclear on when Trustees and/or guardians are required.

Trustees are required when a trust is set up. Note that the personal representatives of an estate are automatically trustees for the beneficiaries
    I suspect a Trustee is required to cover off, in a simple case, the situation if children who are less than XX years old are orphaned.

All property that is given to infants under a will is held on trust and so trustees will need to be appointed to manage their share even if they have a surviving parent. s57 Succession Act, 1965
    Outside of the terms of a will do childern become adults at 18?

It depends. For example, for the purposes of the Child Care Act 1991, a person under 18 years old ceases to be a child when they get married. For maintenance applications, they are a dependent child until 21 if they are in full time education.
    Can the will be used as a mechanism to extend the age beyond this, to say 25?

I don't understand your question. Person X can leave property on trust to person Y on reaching the age of 25 if that's what you mean.
    Where does the Guardian come into the deal?.

Sometimes there will be a term in a will appointing someone as guardian in the event that they and their spouse die. For example. I might appoint my brother as guardian of my children in the event that I die and their mother predeceases me. As far as I know, while this will be influential on the courts, it is not guaranteed that the person I elect in my will will be appointed by the courts, and I think there can be controversy where I try to appoint someone as guardian notwithstanding that the children's mother is still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Many thanks JS
    Re
    Person X can leave property on trust to person Y on reaching the age of 25 if that's what you mean.
    exactly.

Thanks for insight that guardianship is a court administered business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pauloriordanire

if for example
    if we both die ,and then the childrens gardian dies who is responsible for the children

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The children can be made wards of court and placed into the custody of the state. The 1990 Child Care Act has numerous priovisions which can and will deal with this type of concern, including interim care order, emergency care orders, gaurdian ad litem etc.

I suspect you don't have a burning desire to know.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

if for example
    if we both die ,and then the childrens gardian dies who is responsible for the children

The District Court has jurisdiction to appoint a guardian under s.8 of the Guardianship of Infants Act, 1964. Any blood relative who is prepared to be the Guardian will be appointed where the court is satisfied that it is in the best interest of the child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pauloriordanire

wors case serinao ,who can legaily take responsibility if this hapens..
    ie aunty
    or relative
    or the gaurdians spouse

wors case serinao ,who can legaily take responsibility if this hapens..
    ie aunty
    or relative
    or the gaurdians spouse

Whoever the court thinks should be guardian in the best interest of the child.

Advertisement