Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infractions?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

Where did this come from?

Haven't seen much talk of it
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They came with the upgrade to vBulletin 3.6.8.

Details about them in the link below. Some one should really make a wiki page about them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165945

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Agreed. While mods have discussed them at length, the users were not so informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I was givien one because I suggested someone wasn't very public minded, this was somehow interpreted as a insult! worthy enough to get an infraction pm'd the mod rejecting the infraction and got no reply.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't think you can reject infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I was givien one because I suggested someone wasn't very public minded, this was somehow interpreted as a insult! worthy enough to get an infraction pm'd the mod rejecting the infraction and got no reply.

You attacked the poster and not the post. That's generally a no-no.
    Consider an infraction as a PM, and a mark on your permanent record (that only other moderators and admin's can see. Even then, moderators only see a note by the mod who gave it and not the contents of the message.)
    It's no big deal, unless you start to get a few. Treat it as you would a PM warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Are posters always informed of an infraction?
    Could you rack up a couple unknowingly?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A-Trak wrote: »
    Are posters always informed of an infraction?
    Could you rack up a couple unknowingly?

A pm is automatically sent to the user when they receive an infraction.

Karoma wrote: »
    You attacked the poster and not the post. That's generally a no-no.
    Consider an infraction as a PM, and a mark on your permanent record (that only other moderators and admin's can see. Even then, moderators only see a note by the mod who gave it and not the contents of the message.)
    It's no big deal, unless you start to get a few. Treat it as you would a PM warning.

It wasn't any sort of attack, my post didn't cross the playing the ball not the player line, the entire point of the OP post was that they was showing that weren't very considerate of others (of the public mass).

Again I reject it.

there are threads on other boards now highlighting the strange inconsistent over modding particularly in the politics board.

It wasn't any sort of attack, my post didn't cross the playing the ball not the player line, the entire point of the OP post was that they was showing that weren't very considerate of others (of the public mass).

Again I reject it.

there are threads on other boards now highlighting the strange inconsistent over modding particularly in the politics board.

-v- your original post which was a more vague theoretical post. Typical Feedback.
    If you have a problem with the infraction - discuss it with the moderator that set it and then Help Desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I got one for reporting a post but the reason giving was Inappropriate Language.

Obviously the mods can't enter a reason and have a drop down list of reason, and as there was no reason for mine they just selected Inappropriate Language

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    I got one for reporting a post but the reason giving was Inappropriate Language.

Obviously the mods can't enter a reason and have a drop down list of reason, and as there was no reason for mine they just selected Inappropriate Language

And here, boys and girls, we have another typical Feedback post: with Lies and deception. For example, one thing that 'Villain' has not said is that he once went by another username. He also most likely had an ulterior motive for reporting the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh now I don't think we want to have THAT discussion here Karoma?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Again I reject it.
    Tough luck: you can't. These "infractions" are warnings, except now when you (not you personally, you in the sense of you/everyone) get a warning on one forum, and do (for example) the same muppetry on another forum, the mod of the 2nd forum can see that you've already had a warning for this sort of behaviour, but are ignoring it, and may then give you a ban.

This is to halt some users who act the borderline prat in one forum, and then goes to another forum and does the same thing, but avoids getting banned, as they wouldn't be a total prat. With the infractions, however, if they act the borderline prat, they don't get an out-right ban, but will carry the infraction with them, so if they start acting the muppet again elsewhere, the other forums mod would see the infraction, and either give them another infraction, or ban them for being a troll.

Karoma wrote: »
    -v- your original post which was a more vague theoretical post. Typical Feedback.
    If you have a problem with the infraction - discuss it with the moderator that set it and then Help Desk?

the mod didn't respond, thus the lack of clarity over infractions, lack of clarity over modding and mods in its entirety, and the hostility and unaccountability of their behaviour to people. as demonstrated in the how were you treated in feedback thread, if cloud wants this site to be treated seriously he should deal with this, the constant junvile behaviour in the feedback threads doesn't say much for his Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities

how about an infraction system for mods by users?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What? to replace feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

that wouldnt work,or would take alot of work to sort out,whats to stop every jack the lad who has an issue with a mod handing out infractions.
    they have the powah for a reason,we dont, dont fite da powah.

I reject it...the mod didn't respond...<bigwhineyrant>

Meh. There was a karma system (or the other wan) - they were abused. Abuse of the Infraction system is taken very seriously. Infractions have added visibility to moderator actions in every way. Moderators are accountable. If you really believe you have valid grounds to do so and want to contest the infraction, I'd suggest using the Help Desk. The admins warned moderators from very early on that they would take a very dim view of abuse of infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the constant junvile behaviour in the feedback threads doesn't say much for his Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities
    I love the spiel these "fight da poweh" threads produce.

i cant pinpoint exactly what i love bout em really... maybe its the speling msitakes.:confused: lol junvile.
    ive heard of the karma thing, hows that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

nerin wrote: »
    Karoma's a biatch! Bites people in the ass. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

As an aside; Mod(s) can, and have been infracted by SMods/Admins for inappropriate use of the infraction system. Infractions have also been reversed.

*throws mod conspiracy theory out window*

*throws mod conspiracy theory out window*

WHAT??!! No Conspiracy???!!! what will we do now?!!!!

i know....

Coke_cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

nerin wrote: »

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Karma

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

yeah, you said that already, and i posted one, and so did a mod. go start a feedback about it.
    and stop following me around the site,its sad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

i am not following you around the site
    i read this thread and when i saw the cat picture i thought it was stupid as i always do, so i decided to post

awesome...katurdaycom_judgekitteh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Will an infraction show till the end of time?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

the mod didn't respond, thus the lack of clarity over infractions, lack of clarity over modding and mods in its entirety, and the hostility and unaccountability of their behaviour to people. as demonstrated in the how were you treated in feedback thread, if cloud wants this site to be treated seriously he should deal with this, the constant junvile behaviour in the feedback threads doesn't say much for his Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities

Sigh.

It wasn't an infraction, it was a warning, for telling someone they are not very public minded. OK, so it's not exactly the world's worst insult, but it still goes against the principle of attacking the post, not the poster.

The note that accompanied the warning said "Don't get personal, ta."

In all fairness: did this really warrant a feedback thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It has to do with how the site is run and does supply some suggestions. Admittedly there is a bias as he is complaining about receiving one, but who hasn't? What do you think the criteria for Feedback threads should be? Maybe you should start a thread about it.

Advertisement