Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the LC making friends?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Basically I did TY and had to repeat as I was ill so couldn't sit all my exams and whatnot and I was just wondering if any of you guys had any advice as most of my friends were in the year ahead of me and my own year as both of these groups of people are in college I pretty much had to make friends from scratch.

The thing is I have made some friends but in alot of ways I fell that we're not really that close at all, obviously it's somewhat because i haven't really known them for that long but it's like they are really nice to me and that but there's not too much of a connection on a deeper level if that makes any sense and I'm constantly trying to think of things to talk about. It really doesn't help that I'm somewhat shy and think too much alot of the time. Any suggestions would be great thanks =):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

ehh, i didn't really get what you were saying..it bit confusing:confused:
    well i kinda did !

um, I'd say tell them how you feel ? go out with them more ?

good luck with that =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Ilusa wrote: »
    Basically I did TY and had to repeat as I was ill so couldn't sit all my exams and whatnot and I was just wondering if any of you guys had any advice as most of my friends were in the year ahead of me and my own year as both of these groups of people are in college I pretty much had to make friends from scratch.

The thing is I have made some friends but in alot of ways I fell that we're not really that close at all, obviously it's somewhat because i haven't really known them for that long but it's like they are really nice to me and that but there's not too much of a connection on a deeper level if that makes any sense and I'm constantly trying to think of things to talk about. I really doesn't help that I'm somewhat shy and think too much alot of the time. Any suggestions would be great thanks =):)

Dont worry about. Sure you basically answered the question when you said that you havent known your new friends for long. Give it time. Ye will be the best of pals in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,524 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Repeated 6th year and it was a record low for native student count. It was the only school in the area with a 6th year and my school's body only made up about 10% of that years repeats so not only did I feel like an idiot but I also didnt know anyone.

But the thing is youve only known each other 4 months. Give it time. Did you know everyone who was everyone back by the end of first year? If you're like most people the friends you kept you didnt realise you had until 2nd or 3rd year. Dont sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ilusa

Well if it was confusing maybe this is clearer, I didn't really know anyone this year. I do talk to and am friends with some people but I want to be closer friends it seems really like sort of a surface friendship atm and not really that deep if that makes sense

Thank you JSK 252 and Candy, I guess you're both right that time is really the only thing that will help. I just wish it wasn't the only option

Edit: and thank you overheal aswell it's good to have someone who was in asimilar situations prospective aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,524 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No Problem. In my experience good friends are best made in ice breaking situations. Sometimes good, sometimes bad situations. To be honest, you don't know how close you are to some people until you get ****faced with them* :) Because it takes getting to know each other personally, and (especially when youre younger) thats harder to do - speak your mind and such.

You can start by picking a few people - get to know them. Ask questions. Life stories are great, and the best way to know someone.

*Study, parents and age permitting, of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

The people I have hung out with over the last few years have changed. As in, good friends come and go, then theres the even closer ones who will always stick by your side and who you'll have a laugh with.

Basically, to extend your ammount of friendships, Go out and have a few cans, Get Drunk and introduce yourself. Ive gotten to know loads of people through that process, A.K.A Seshooooon!!!
    Show Your wild side and dont be afraid to come out of your box. I feel for the fact that you have been put down due to illness, You can't let that Keep your confidence down, you have to work it back up.
    Treat your neighbours how you wanna be treated, people will admire you.

Try Something New like, if u play an instrument, pick it up again and get more lessons. You be surprised who you'll meet. Maybe start going to the gym where you can meet people while working out. I find myself in a situation where I want to Meet new people, not that im sick of all my friends, I want to explore and learn things from others. Leaving cert aint helping but I know as soon as school is over a Bunch of new people will enter my life.
    Think about it that way, College life, Every1 is in the same situation, Its the start of something new and thats when gr8 friends can be formed easily.

You seem to be in a sort of depression by the sounds of your post but Its probably just a phase your goin through right now!

To conclude, Have a few drinks, get tipsy, get out there, Be faithful to yourself and Believe.

Advertisement