Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many hours do you sleep a night?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Since in hospital, I sleep a lot, probably more than awake. But before that, I might get 3 or 4 on a party night, and make up for it on the other nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

about 7.5.... Wish I could sleep on late in the mornings though... Just cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

About 6 hours. Even if I do go through a period of 8 hours sleep every night I'd still be knackered. If it's a time when essays and assigments are due I hardly sleep at all, generally finding myself so much more creative in the night and early hours of the morning. I don't like the day light!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

hawkwing wrote: »
    Always awake before the alarm which i can never remember being woken by. Asleep at 12, wake about 3,5,530,600,615 and up at 640 so less than 6 per night but never more than 5 hrs in a row without waking up, don't know is this normal. Feel wrecked during the day, 10-1500hrs.:confused:

This is exactly the same as me. I usually get to sleep quickly enough, but I wake at least 5 or 6 times a night, and I'm always wrecked when I get out of bed, and from mid-morning until around 5 - 6pm. I have a good diet, exercise every day, have time to relax in the evening, have tried loads of remedies, but never seem to sleep well.

As for the weekends, I'm more tired on a Saturday/Sunday morning than during the week because I can't sleep beyond 7:30!! It drives me mad. I'd love to wake up in the morning refreshed, but it so rarely happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

Between 6 and 8 hours usually, although i always wake up at least once to go to the toilet :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

About 8 hours on a normal night, but that's very rare.
    If I do 24 hour call (which I do frequently in my health sector post), I don't sleep from 7 that morning to 9 or 10 the following night - but I'm so overtired I wouldn't sleep for hours so I'll take half a Xanax to kick start my sleep. Then I'll have my 8 hours sleep. But I never make up for the sleep I lose on-call.
    Sometimes I wake up or my baby wakes me up during the night and once I've woken up I'll never go back to sleep. Frustrating if it's only 2 or 3 in the morning.
    I envy people that can sleep the minute their head hits the pillow, or can return to sleep if woken up. They're the very people that are critical of me for taking Xanax - they do not understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Lurvely wrote: »
    Between 6 and 8 hours usually, although i always wake up at least once to go to the toilet :(

Me too, sometimes, and when I go back to bed, I try to arouse hubby:p. At times he'll take the bait:), and after a while of getting me and my kidneys rattled, I'll have to go again.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I know Im going to age badly because of how little I sleep. Its not that Im not tired per se, I just dont shut down. Quite often Id be up till half four -five and Im up again at six- half six.

I have no idea what makes me function tbh. Ive taken prescribed and non-pres stuff to help. Non pres doesnt work. the Prescriptions give me metallalic taste mouth and a bursting headache.

So I end up like Grandad from Only fools and horses watching two screens at the same time :pac: Its been years since I slept right. I was always an early riser, but used to be able to conk out when I needed to.

As a consequence of not sleeping, I rarely get enough quality sleep to dream properly. Tbh, I feel a bit zombie-like :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭co_co

8 h on average, 2 -4 h more weekend and holiday. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Used to get eight hours a night. For the last three weeks it's been four hours a night, could be insomnia but I'm not a doctor. Can't get back to sleep when I wake up and that never used to be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

During the week I try to get in between 6 and 9 hours, at the weekends its a lot less..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

3 per night.

but then Ive always been that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'd say I average at 6. I'm generally always tired though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Weekends 12-14 hours, during the week 10-12 (if I've uni around 9)

Optimal functioning levels for me require the 12 hours per night though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I never sleep more than 4-5 hours, usually broken. Have collapsed from exhaustion recently and still didn't sleep more than 4 hours. Last night had a problem on my mind and didn't sleep more than 2 hours. Am a total zombie.

Advertisement