Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Baby Present

Options
  • 21-01-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi there

A good friend of mine is expecting a baby any day now and I would like to get something special... Not sure if it's a boy or a girl yet but would like to get something other than the usual clothes or stuff like that. I was thinking about a collection of newspapers from the day of birth (for furture's sake) but not really sure if other people would think that's as cool as I do!!!

Any help!?!

CHeers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I think that is a fantasic thoughtful present (also perhaps burn a CD of the top 10 singles on the day of birth). I wish I had got a gift like that for my dd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Two of my mates at work got me a gift from Brown Thomas for my baby. It was the hand and foot prints. Looks very classy and my fav present too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I would love someone to get me a voucher to get my hair done or a massage or something like that.

M

MrsA wrote: »
    I would love someone to get me a voucher to get my hair done or a massage or something like that.

M

I presume that was a joke yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

killwill wrote: »
    I presume that was a joke yeah?
    Absolutely not. It's a great idea to get the mother something (she has been through a bit).
    The newspaper is a good idea too.
    If you do get baby clothes, get something at least 3-6 months, if not more, and give the receipt too so it can be exchanged (and don't feel disheartened if it is exchanged).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MrsA wrote: »

M

oh please!

I think the newspaper idea is a great one. One present we received (from my boss!) was a grobag, now I dunno if you have decided to use them (when the baby is a few months older) but we did and found them to be brilliant. That present turned out to be one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

As nice as papers from the dob are and top 10 singles are they are something that will probably be put on a shelf and not seen for ages and ages.
    EDIT, Although I realise it is something long lasting.

I think something practical is good.
    Get a big wicker basket and fill it with all the neceseities.
    Get baby oil,bath things, nappies, hair brush, baby wipes and a few packs of baby grows ( you would be amazed how many of them you go through) talc,soft towels and so on . The list is endless.

A hamper like that shows a lot of though and care went into it and believe me everything mentioned above plus a whole lot more are needed shortly after baby is born.

Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Have a look at the baby stuff on www.monogram.ie They do a really nice hamper which I think is adorable. It contains towels, toys and blankets embroidered with the baby's name and DOB.

I have bought a couple of them and they were always well received as beeing practicle and a something special that the could be kept for years.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

+1 for the pampering for the mum. She'll have a small mountain of newborn baby clothes. Or if you're a really good friend babysit for a couple of hours and send them off to dinner or something. Maybe in a few weeks or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Get one of those self rocking chairs for the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I would suggest checking with the parents before buying something like a chair or buggy etc. It may not be what they want, or need.

I totally acknowledge what the mother has had to go through, just incase anybody thinks I was being ignorant, I just thought the OP was asking about stuff for the baby.
    I got my partner some jewellry from the baby and as she loves massages she got a voucher for one from me.
    For all the massages I gave my partner and the hormonal outbursts I got a lovely STORM watch. Remember daddys play a big part in pregnancies too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

a good irish based website for newborn gifts is simply baby .ie

or how about paying for baby massage classes? they really help to settle a baby, and give the parents great confidence in handling their infant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

OP, I wouldn't go focusing on getting something just for the Mum. The baby will have two parents who are going to end up tired and stressed and in need of some down time once they've settled in with their new baby. One of the best gifts I received after I had my daughter was a voucher for a meal out with my partner, which I could use anytime in the 6 months after she was born. With that voucher also came the promise of a reliable babysitter :) It was great to be able to just have a night away from it all, where we could just be "us" again, the way we were before the baby came along. The way I see it, before any baby comes into a couples life, the couple were there first, and sometimes, in the whirlwind of a baby and everything else that happens, you can lose sight of who ye are and how ye were as just a couple. Getting out for a nice meal and a few glasses of wine is precious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 rosarosa

I agree embee.....it's nice to get something for both parents. my husband was a little bit annoyed and sid he felt left out when our baby was born as all the focus was on me. it's nice to acknowledge a gift that includes the other half.

A good idea might be to get a voucher for a studio portrait to be done of the new family. I wish I had got one...it only occurred to us to get one done about 6 months later, mostly cos we were so harried and busy with baby. a nice frame for it would also be nice..........

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

if you get a hamper type present make sure to check with the mum before hand about which products she thinks she'll be using. I got a fab hamper packed full of totally perfumed wipes (I can't stand them) , zinc cream and vasaline (which i never used and have enough to last about 20years), talc (can be dangerous if inhaled by baby) bath lotions and creams (baby hated having baths and only used to give her a top and tail whenever I got away with her not screaming the house down).

I usually buy a money box for baby pressies - lasts for years

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Thanks for all the ideas. I've so many now I don't know which to choose!!! I have a few weeks to make my mind up though hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

A few more suggestions, a few things that I loved or would have loved.

1. I got a solid silver picture frame to put a photo of the baby in. [more sentimental than practical - will get initials engraved on it]

2. A bouncer

3. Offers to babysit for a couple of hours [didnt get that - would have LOOOOOVED it - just to get a couple of hours sleep or even a haircut.] With a newborn a manicure feels like a two week vacation in the bahamas.

4. A baby journal.

5. A gift cerificate for baby portraits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

A book of fairy tales or bedtime stories.

Advertisement