Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate change

• 21-01-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

In the 80s we had acid rain
    The 90s we had the depletion of the ozone layer

Now we have climate change.... is it the latest fad? will it still be the biggest discussion issue in 10 / 20 years time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dampsquid wrote: »

Now we have climate change.... is it the latest fad? will it still be the biggest discussion issue in 10 / 20 years time?
    No idea. What do you think?

Nah. Next year's zombie war should be the talking point in the future.

Amongst zombies, anyways. Murrrrrrrghh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Climate change is a fad surely...just worry about the here and now and follow my Uncle Terry's advice - 'You'll get no thanks for altruism'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

from AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

To green issues? Why not to Weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The reason the acid rain stopped in northern Europe is that we took action and reduced the sulphur emissions from heavy industry.
    The reason the Antarctic ozone hole stopped growing is that we took action and halted the use of CFCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

As was said, acid rain in the 80s was real. It lead to things like improved, unleaded, petrol and a general cleaning up of industry. The fall of the Soviet union and the decline of it's massive unregulated heavy industry also helped ease the problems in Europe.

The ozone hole in the 80s/90s was real and led to a global ban on CFCs.

Global warming is also very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Nope its not a fad, despite what some skeptics say..

For anyone with any interest in it, Id recommend reading both Heat by George Monbiot and The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery. They are both well written and researched, and quite easy to follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

Just another excuse to get money off ordinary people, you have to get this type of insulation, that type of measure to prevent blahh blahh blahh. The damage is done and the people who are paying to prevent further damage didn't cause it in the 1st place. Sunspots and the lack of sunspots have dramatic effects on climate, as well as numerous other natural occurrences.
    My uncle in-law Gerry piped up last friday after scoffing down his scones and tea "They'll be cracking down on bean eaters soon to curtail the methane emissions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

you have to get this type of insulation, that type of measure to prevent blahh blahh blahh.
    Surely this is in your own interest, as it will save you money in the long run. Do you think you'd be better off if your house had no insulation?
    Sunspots and the lack of sunspots have dramatic effects on climate...
    No they don't.
    ...as well as numerous other natural occurrences.
    Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

The reason the acid rain stopped in northern Europe is that we took action and reduced the sulphur emissions from heavy industry.
    The reason the Antarctic ozone hole stopped growing is that we took action and halted the use of CFCs.

Exactly, these could be considered victories as we stopped the problem growing and are now reversing it. Both were reasonably easy to solve however because it was a specific chemical causing it. (Chlorofluorocarbons for the ozone layer and sulfur dioxide for the acid rain)
    Global warming is more complex and will require a more complex solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

What is your evidence that sunspots have no effect? I'm genuinely interested. I've changed my spots so many times on the global warming thing it would be nice to know what the truth is.

???????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

What is your evidence that sunspots have no effect? I'm genuinely interested.
    I didn't say that - I said they don't have a dramatic effect, or at least they have not been shown to have such an effect. Here's an article on the subject and a review paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

All depends on the weather:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What is your evidence that sunspots have no effect?

You should ask gillyfromlyre what the evidence is that they have significant effect.

The default position should be that there is no (known) effect, until such times as someone can establish otherwise.
    I'm genuinely interested. I've changed my spots so many times on the global warming thing it would be nice to know what the truth is.

???????:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    No-one knows what the truth is. What we do know, however, are the various scientific stances on the various issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

djpbarry wrote: »
    I didn't say that - I said they don't have a dramatic effect, or at least they have not been shown to have such an effect. Here's an article on the subject and a review paper.

Sunspots have a dramatic effect on the Quasi Biennial Oscillation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pascal14

Thats exactly what I read in the paper as well.

Stopped growing! The largest ever recorded ozone hole was in 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Thanks. I stand corrected. Are there any theories to explain why?

Thanks. I stand corrected. Are there any theories to explain why?

Although the CFC concentrations have stabilized there have been increases in other ozone depleting compounds in the stratosphere notably nitrous oxide and water through pollution.

Good references

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/pubs/PDF/rich2952/rich2952.pdf
    http://www.acia.uaf.edu/PDFs/ACIA_Science_Chapters_Final/ACIA_Ch05_Final.pdf
    http://ozone.unep.org/Assessment_Panels/SAP/Scientific_Assessment_2006/01-Contents_Preface.pdf
    http://ozone.unep.org/Assessment_Panels/SAP/Scientific_Assessment_2006/index.shtml

One possible explanation of the 2006 hole could be due to the Energetic Particle Precipitation of NO from the Mesosphere into the stratosphere.

Enhanced NOx in 2006 linked to strong upper stratospheric Arctic vortex, Randall et al GRL Vol 33, 2006.

Energetic particle precipitation effects on the southern Hemisphere stratosphere in 1992 – 2005 Randall et al GRL Vol 112, 2007

• Advertisement

piraka wrote: »
    The rate of ozone depletion has slowed considerably. CFC's persist in the atmosphere for quite a long time, so a detectable recovery will probably not occur until about 2025, with ozone levels recovering to 1980 levels by around 2070.

The rate of ozone depletion is levelling and causing concern even with the reduction in CFC.

The rate of ozone depletion is levelling...
    That's what I said.
    ...and causing concern even with the reduction in CFC.
    Of course it's a concern; ozone will continue to be destroyed as long as CFC's persist in the atmosphere and the situation warrants observation. But, if CFC levels continue to fall, then we should see ozone levels begin to recover in the not-too-distant future.

If our use of CFC's had not been curbed, then things would be very different indeed.

The rate of ozone depletion is levelling and causing concern even with the reduction in CFC.

If the rate of depletion is levelling to anything higher than a rate of 0, then I'd damn-well hope its causing concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pascal14

bonkey wrote: »
    If the rate of depletion is levelling to anything higher than a rate of 0, then I'd damn-well hope its causing concern.

Who provides this data you are refering to?

What data?

I was applying mathematical analysis to someone else's claim, without commenting on the accuracy of the claim, and explicitly allowing for it to be false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

sometimes it's better just to link to a graph:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Min_ozone.jpg

sometimes it's better just to link to a graph:
    Far too efficient for my liking - where's the fun in that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Owdetojoy

You are right about the CFCs, but how did we halt sulphur emissions in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Owdetojoy

Dampsquid wrote: »

It's costing the equivalent of internet sales every year. Wind energy does not work, neither does solar at reducing co2 emissions. Electric cars simply transfer the emissions from the car exhaust to the power stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

DOC24z6UEAAVkYb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

DOC24z6UEAAVkYb.jpg
    How much damage did storm Ophelia do in Ireland alone? What about Katrina ? And the other storms worldwide? That’s what the temperature increase is doing. We’d make the trillions back soon enough.

Advertisement