Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance by Law?

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

I was looking at a booking form for a organised trip to the EU Parliament, run by an Irish company called EU Tours. On the booking form it states
    Please Note:

Everyone travelling is required by law to have appropriate travel insurance. Please fill in all the above details.

Surely this can't be true. Are they just trying to scare people into buying a policy with them? If that's the case it seems like very dodgy practice.
    A quick google brought up nothing about it being law to have them.

Does anyone know if it's true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Perhaps no insurance is appropriate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Pythia wrote: »
    I was looking at a booking form for a organised trip to the EU Parliament, run by an Irish company called EU Tours. On the booking form it states

Surely this can't be true. Are they just trying to scare people into buying a policy with them? If that's the case it seems like very dodgy practice.
    A quick google brought up nothing about it being law to have them.

Does anyone know if it's true?

I've seen something similar stated a few places. No idea if it's true, but even if it is, you're certainly not obliged to buy you travel insurance off them.
    Have you a link to the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Would this be them?

http://eutoursireland.com/v2/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can't find anything to say that it is required either. Citizen's Information merely strongly advises you to have travel insurance.

Contact the Financial Regulator, as they cover insurance issues. They might be able to advise you.

Perhaps the travel insurance is mandatory for the country you are travelling to, but I don't think this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

dudara wrote: »
    Contact the Financial Regulator, as they cover insurance issues. They might be able to advise you.

Perhaps the travel insurance is mandatory for the country you are travelling to, but I don't think this is the case.

I'm not actually going to go, I was just looking at it. I just thought it was strange, and dodgy practice if there are fooling people.

Mountjoy Mugger - yes, that's them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

can't imagine it the law, I'd say its just their way of making you take out travel insurance through them and they cream off a nice wad of commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I remember when I was booking my holiday to Crete Budget travel asked me did I want insurance with them and I said no that I had my own. They wouldn't hand over the tickets until I brought in proof that I had travel insurance.

I was under the impression that you needed it if you were travelling anywhere abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If it's an organised tour I would imagine there probably is a law there to protect the operator, so customers don't sue them for injuries or loss of property while on their tours.

A lot of credit cards provide free travel insurance if you pay for the trip with their card.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I never buy travel insurance. I have insurance on my credit card (automatic). I've never been asked to provide proof of insurance. I travel abroad normally twice a year - Europe, Canada, USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

orla wrote: »
    I remember when I was booking my holiday to Crete Budget travel asked me did I want insurance with them and I said no that I had my own. They wouldn't hand over the tickets until I brought in proof that I had travel insurance.

I was under the impression that you needed it if you were travelling anywhere abroad.

Same thing happened to my friend when she booked with budget in dublin, but when I booked in budget in midlands they handed over tickets no questions asked re;insurance...

Is it jus a way of getting customers to spend more money?:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement