Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your BMW/s here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

junkyard wrote: »
    There's another green Z1 near me, sorry about the picture quality.:o

What part of the country are you in? From another forum, I came across a name from Cork with Z1 as their car. Whether this person actually has one or is interested in them, I'm not sure. The Green one in Meath is an import. Since Motor Import told Mac 3 that two were brought in, this Cork one may be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

My 735

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Junkyard's pic reminded me of something from a while back , I remember seeing a green one knockin around in limerick about 10 years ago with what looked like a Saudi registration. Didn't see it again for a long time till about 5 years later, passed me on the road in from Shannon. I suppose its possible that it may have got a set of irish plates at some stage, then again it may just have been a visitor. I think i have a pic of it at home, pic was taken in the days before digital cameras, I'll try get it scanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm in Cork and this Z1 is on Pakistani number plates. It's the same one as the one around Limerick as the man who owns it works around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Jomcc wrote: »
    Funny you should mention deLorean.....Can tell you about both.

Yeah, one of the lads here in work has a DeLorean, they certainly get noticed! When he drives it into work during the summer he has to keep it covered in the car park to avoid looky loos leaving paw prints all over it. He was also a little irate to see a picture of his car in the "here's what I saw today" thread. From talking to him about other DeLorean owners and the register I'm sure there's a very good chance you know him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

milltown wrote: »
    Yeah, one of the lads here in work has a DeLorean, they certainly get noticed! When he drives it into work during the summer he has to keep it covered in the car park to avoid looky loos leaving paw prints all over it. He was also a little irate to see a picture of his car in the "here's what I saw today" thread. From talking to him about other DeLorean owners and the register I'm sure there's a very good chance you know him anyway.

Why was he irate? Did he not think he's bound to get some attention in a DeLorean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

My 735

Wrong thread buddy :-)
    And what about getting an Irish plate :-)

junkyard wrote: »
    I'm in Cork and this Z1 is on Pakistani number plates. It's the same one as the one around Limerick as the man who owns it works around there.

Hu? Pakistani like Pakistan? Long trip lol.
    I have seen a few "Saudi Arabia" plates in Dublin, well 2 exactly. One last year and a Hummer a week ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mick.fr wrote: »
    Wrong thread buddy :-)
    Is it wrong to show pics of a 735 in a BMW pics thread?

kbannon wrote: »
    Is it wrong to show pics of a 735 in a BMW pics thread?

Oups sorry buddy I still had the * NON * BMW thread in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 King of Faces

There's something so irritating and smug about BMW drivers - especially ones who actually go and take photos of their BMW, and then post them on the net. For some reason they think they're elite, yet there's more BMW posts in this topic than posts in the non-BMW topic! Common as muck! FACT!

Driving around anywhere in Dublin during working hours, you'll see about 200,000 316's driven by a smug douche in a suit. Is this you? Do you fit that profile?A 316 and a suit? If so, you're just one of the flock...enjoy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

penis envy KoF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 King of Faces

kbannon wrote: »
    penis envy KoF?
    Hardly. Everything I stated is a fact. There ARE more BMW pics posted in this topic than every other type of car in the non-BMW topic = common as muck, IMO.
    And the fact that somone started this topic, and got such a quick & overwhelming reponse is proof (IMO) of the smugness of BMW owners just dying to post pics of their cars.

And you do LITERALLY see hundreds of 316's being driven around by conceited people in suits; sales reps, mortgage brokers, estate agents. I'm only saying what I see - no "penis envy" at all. Why would I be jealous of something easily obtainable that EVERYONE seems to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Hardly. Everything I stated is a fact. There ARE more BMW pics posted in this topic than every other type of car in the non-BMW topic = common as muck, IMO.

And you do LITERALLY see hundreds of 316's being driven around by conceited people in suits; sales reps, mortgage brokers, estate agents.

Agree with you on the 316 point. However, I don't work in any of the above sectors, never wear suits either - I look more like I stole my BMW most of the time.

Perhaps the amount of posts/views on this thread says people are interested at looking at them !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

And the fact that somone started this topic, and got such a quick & overwhelming reponse is proof (IMO) of the smugness of BMW owners just dying to post pics of their cars.

And you do LITERALLY see hundreds of 316's being driven around by conceited people in suits; sales reps, mortgage brokers, estate agents. I'm only saying what I see - no "penis envy" at all. Why would I be jealous of something easily obtainable that EVERYONE seems to have?

Fact???? You say all BMW drivers think they're elite - I suppose you know every one of them? Maybe BMW owners just like the driving experience, the way the look etc. I think you'd have to be blind not to notice that BMW's are very common, so to buy one in the hope that you would be elite doesnt make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Errrr..... I bought my car because I wanted RWD, decent economy and a car that could cover long distances easily. What other choices did I have?

Generally, you'll find that most people who post about their BMWs on internet sites, are ENTHUSIASTS. They have a BMW because they love the blend of style, driving dynamics, pace and practicality. 316s dont impress me - or in fact anyone I know who likes BMWs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

commited wrote: »
    I bought my car because I wanted RWD,
    Why did you want RWD? Unless you're pushing 200bhp or more there's not a lot of difference between FWD and RWD, other than FWD is a bit safer for every day driving, and RWD cars usually have better turning circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

you'll see about 200,000 316's driven by a smug douche in a suit.
    Everything I stated is a fact. And you do LITERALLY see hundreds of 316's being driven around by conceited people in suits

So is it 200,000 or a couple of hundred?

Either way, thanks for your input. Your opinion is important to us, it might help us avoid making the same mistakes again next time we're shopping for a car. Or clothes.:rolleyes:

JHMEG wrote: »
    Why did you want RWD? Unless you're pushing 200bhp or more there's not a lot of difference between FWD and RWD, other than FWD is a bit safer for every day driving, and RWD cars usually have better turning circles.

No way. FWD cars will lose traction first. The front wheels have to put the power on the road as well as doing the steering.

ronoc wrote: »
    The front wheels have to put the power on the road as well as doing the steering.
    That sound exactly like something Jeremy Clarkson would say, except he'd mention braking too. At 100 odd bhp driven front wheels don't exactly lose traction too often.

• Advertisement

There's something so irritating and smug about BMW drivers - especially ones who actually go and take photos of their BMW, and then post them on the net. For some reason they think they're elite, yet there's more BMW posts in this topic than posts in the non-BMW topic! Common as muck! FACT!

Driving around anywhere in Dublin during working hours, you'll see about 200,000 316's driven by a smug douche in a suit. Is this you? Do you fit that profile?A 316 and a suit? If so, you're just one of the flock...enjoy.

I have not seen any 316i posted on this thread so far.
    And personally I do not think I am part of the elite. The day I will be able to pay cash for a brand new M3 I probably will think I am something I suppose.
    But that does not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

ronoc wrote: »
    No way. FWD cars will lose traction first. The front wheels have to put the power on the road as well as doing the steering.

That is a joke right?

A guy posted a video of his bimmer on a US forum cause he has an issue with it. Strange noise etc..
    He says his car sounds like chewbacca.
    Well surely it is lol.

http://www.youtube.com/v/K9OQtvZ2fp0&rel=1&border=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

That makes little to no sense. I wanted RWD because that is the type of transmission layout that I like. I like the odd powerslide, and I much prefer the steering progression on a car that only has the steering to worry about on the front wheels.

My e30 has 160 ish bhp but is light - RWD makes a difference.
    My e39 currently has 193bhp, going up to about 230bhp soon.

FWD is no safer for everyday driving as long as you don't drive like a clown. I don't really care about turning circles, I don't go into a dealership and ask what car has the best turning circle and on receipt of the reply say "Yes, I'll have that please" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

I used to think exactly the same as you.

Then I bought my first BMW, long time ago, I used to always drive motor bikes and I love how they feel, the handling and the feed back. Whenever I drive any other car (well, most other cars) I just don't like how they feel. BMW's give me the feedback I like when I am driving, and mainly because they are RWD.

I do agree that there are a LOT of rep cars out there that are 316/318s and possibly the choice was made on the badge more than any other factor.

I think that any of the BMW drivers here are more of the enthusiast type than badge snobs and as such are proud of their cars and so will take pictures and jump at any opportunity to show off their pride and joy.

I for one do not drive a 316, nor do I wear a suit every day - I do however love my car, every time I park it I have to look back at it, it is a pleasure to own and drive.

Maybe you should try them, you might just like it :)

Richie.

commited wrote: »
    I wanted RWD because that is the type of transmission layout that I like.

Sorry I mustn't have made my point well enough: in a low powered car the driven wheels won't impact on anything much, yet a lot of people, not just owners of low power BMWs will cite RWD as the deciding factor. But in reality they bought the car for something other reason, be it the badge or whatever.

The only time a light 160bhp FWD car would have trouble putting power down is off the line in the wet. It would be quicker at cornering than an M30 in the wet tho.

maidhc wrote: »
    That is a joke right?

No. I'm not. Thanks for playing!
    JHMEG wrote:
    Sorry I mustn't have made my point well enough: in a low powered car the driven wheels won't impact on anything much, yet a lot of people, not just owners of low power BMWs will cite RWD as the deciding factor. But in reality they bought the car for something other reason, be it the badge or whatever.
    In your opinion, not a statement of fact obviously. Is it so difficult to believe that people also buy these cars because they enjoy driving them?
    JHMEG wrote:
    The only time a light 160bhp FWD car would have trouble putting power down is off the line in the wet. It would be quicker at cornering than an M30 in the wet tho.
    Grip off the line is only one part of it. RWD cars are inheirently more balanced. It is possible to get an even 50:50 weight distribution with RWD. The diff is near the rear wheels while most of the engine is over the front wheels.

Cars with a FWD setup have the majority of their weight over the front wheels. This has consequeces for, breaking, handling through corners and acceleration. All of which are superior in a sorted RWD car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

The amount of power is only part of the equation.

More importantly is weight distribution and balance.

Why do you think F1 cars are RWD??

I'm not arguing this crap again. 100bhp to the front or back wheels makes no difference to the average joe. No one buys a 100bhp RWD car on the basis that it's RWD. Especially when in the case of BMW they could get a much better FWD car for the same money.

• Advertisement

I'm not arguing this crap again. 100bhp to the front or back wheels makes no difference to the average joe. No one buys a 100bhp RWD car on the basis that it's RWD..
    You are not arguing because you know you are wrong.

Toyota A386s are still very popular for the fact they are RWD. They are close as makes no difference to 100bhp. MX5s, MR2s all proper drivers cars. Shall I go on?
    Especially when in the case of BMW they could get a much better FWD car for the same money.

Again In your opinion. All you have done is spout opinion as fact, when in reality very little of it has any basis in fact.

Advertisement