Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reaction to hazards

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi.... Virgin Poster!!!

I've failed my test twice on reaction to hazards, things like overtaking parked cars etc. Can anybody give me advice on this, what to look out for? what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Looked around, indicate, and move out well in advance of the obstacle, if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Did you give right of way when you overtook ?
    If the obstacle is on your side of the road you have to wait for vehicles on the other side of the road to pass before you can go . (say driving in city where theres a lot of cars parked on your side)
    Even if you are at the obstacle first but you wouldnt clear it (ie if there was a few cars parked on your side and you passing them would involve the other car on the opposite side waiting then you havent given right of way )
    Dont forget to indicate straight away even if you have to wait a few mins to go and use the mirrors back and side etc etc (look over shoulder to make sure noone is passing you)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is essentially what I failed my first test on as well.

I do notice things, I just wasn't reacting to them well enough. It's a hard one to answer, as you know how to do the obvious things, ie move out to overtake parked cars etc. It also involves more subtle things, such as adjusting your speed as to maintain progression when faced with a potential hazard.

A good instructor will help you out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Slowing down must be your first reaction. Doing this will allow you more time to think about what to look out for. Resist the urge to step on the accelerator as you pass the hazard, and keep you foot "handy" on the foot brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Irachka

Its not just overtaking parked cars its the reaction to hazards as such. I just have no idea what are those hazards ....:confused: Any examples.... Please....??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Irachka wrote: »
    Its not just overtaking parked cars its the reaction to hazards as such. I just have no idea what are those hazards ....:confused: Any examples.... Please....??
    Pedestrians, cyclists, schools, pot holes, animals, traffic wardens, street furniture, pedestrian crossings, bus stops, accidents, roadworks - the list is endless.

From what I know, a hazard is *anything* which forces you to change either speed or direction. So, on a city road, this could be a pedestrian, cyclist, parked car, dog, a ball bouncing/rolling into the road (therefore possibly indicating a child dashing after it)...

EDIT: I have to admit that I quoted this off BSM and its computerised road theory training...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A hazard is just about everything. They are looking to see that you are observing, assessing and anticipating, that you are capable of assuming the best road position and speed for the conditions at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Irachka

Thanks very much everyone.... I know what to watch out for now... Reaction to hazards was my biggest problem 3X the first time and 4 the last. I just didn't know what did I do wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

WUSBDesign wrote: »
    From what I know, a hazard is *anything* which forces you to change either speed or direction. So, on a city road, this could be a pedestrian, cyclist, parked car, dog, a ball bouncing/rolling into the road (therefore possibly indicating a child dashing after it)...

EDIT: I have to admit that I quoted this off BSM and its computerised road theory training...

Yeah not the best definition. I would expand and say *anything* which forces you to change either speed or direction outside the normal regulatory requirements (such as traffic lights and road signs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I got one mark for this in my test, which I passed, instructor said was just unlucky to come accross road conditions and there was nothing i could have done to avoid the mark...

j1979p wrote: »
    Yeah not the best definition. I would expand and say *anything* which forces you to change either speed or direction outside the normal regulatory requirements (such as traffic lights and road signs).

If you are stating that traffic lights, road signs are *not* hazards, then I wouldn't stretch that far...In BSM's Hazard Perception training, these are the things that are listed in stage 1. Road/weather/traffic conditions come next, followed by other road users...

Hence, the definition of a hazard, as previously written, still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Slowing down must be your first reaction. Doing this will allow you more time to think about what to look out for. Resist the urge to step on the accelerator as you pass the hazard, and keep you foot "handy" on the foot brake.

You must first check your Mirrors before you consider taking any action

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

J_R wrote: »
    You must first check your Mirrors before you consider taking any action

Absolute rubbish.

It is ridiculous sweeping one-line "rules" like this that sends learners off track.

In the normal course of driving you should regularly check the mirrors so that you have a good idea what is behind you at all times.

If something (for instance a small child) suddenly runs out in front of you the 1/2 second it would take to check the mirrors could make the difference between hitting said child and stopping in time.

A hazard is anything that could potentially become a dangerous situation, in real terms that includes anything that has the ability to move infront of your car and anything static that could hide or cause something else to move in front of your car.

Re: reaction to hazards and parked cars. The most common way to get a mark for this is by passing too close to parked cars, you should give enough space to be able to react to anything unexpectedly emerging from behind them or even someone opening a car door in front of you.

John R wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.

That is very funny.
    In the normal course of driving you should regularly check the mirrors so that you have a good idea what is behind you at all times.

When I did my Institute Advanced Motorist test and got a mark for hazards that is almost exactly the excuse I gave the examiner. (Still got the mark for looking a little late in the mirror)
    If something (for instance a small child) suddenly runs out in front of you the 1/2 second it would take to check the mirrors could make the difference between hitting said child and stopping in time.
    Then
    How did the child get into the topic. ? Oh I see, dashed out - obviously would be an emergency stop. And has nothing to do with dealing with ordinary everyday hazards.

Hi.... Virgin Poster!!!

I've failed my test twice on reaction to hazards, things like overtaking parked cars etc. Can anybody give me advice on this, what to look out for? what to do?

Check out the RSA Marking Guidelines
    React Promptly and Properly to Hazards

Then check the guidelines for Mirrors
    then Clearance

etc etc etc

Any competent driving instructor should know these guidelines and prepare their pupils accordingly. From 1st January 2009 they will have had to pass an exam based on these and also on the Test Procedure, otherwise it will be illegal for them to give lessons for reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Where an applicant splashes pedestrians with surface water.

:D I would love to see someone do that during there test.

Observation is the key too driving, when you observe you should mentally, think too yourself, what outcome do I want from this situation, which lane should I be in? How can I contribute to free flowing traffic? I am I driving safely? That Kid might jump out in front off my car, I better slow down.

These are all things, that should be done with or without a test in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fashioncookie

cazzy wrote: »
    Even if you are at the obstacle first but you wouldnt clear it (ie if there was a few cars parked on your side and you passing them would involve the other car on the opposite side waiting then you havent given right of way ) )

but if the opposite road was clear when I started overtaking parked cars on my side, and then oncoming traffic starts appearing and have to wait for me to clear my hazards is that still not giving right of way? or am I in the clear? Just wondering?

Also, if the road is wide enough and my car is small enough and I can still leave a door's width space between me and the parked cars while leaving enough space ie their lane free for oncoming traffic to pass, it should be Ok to proceed?

what if there are cars parked on both sides. Then if I reach the obstacles first would it be in my right to proceed first?

Can anyone clarify please?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

but if the opposite road was clear when I started overtaking parked cars on my side, and then oncoming traffic starts appearing and have to wait for me to clear my hazards is that still not giving right of way? or am I in the clear? Just wondering?

Also, if the road is wide enough and my car is small enough and I can still leave a door's width space between me and the parked cars while leaving enough space ie their lane free for oncoming traffic to pass, it should be Ok to proceed?

what if there are cars parked on both sides. Then if I reach the obstacles first would it be in my right to proceed first?

Can anyone clarify please?
    thanks

RE: Passing parked cars on your left when road ahead is clear. If the road ahead is clear and you proceed to pass the parked cars on your left you have every right to complete your "overtaking".

If there's any doubt if you'll be able to pass without making traffic ahead stop, and wait. But if there is no oncoming traffic proceed.

If there are cars parked on both sides and you reach the obstacle first, yes proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Yes, if there is plenty of room, by all means proceed or you will be checked for lack of progress. If it's any way tight, wait. If waiting isn't practical (eg. town centre where there's a constant stream of opposing traffic), and you HAVE to squeeze through to make progress. do so very slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

From my pre-test yesterday I was advised:

If you see slow sign on the road, just ease of the accelerator for a second to show the tester you have seen it, slow when coming around bends and if there is a parked car ahead, check mirrors as soon as you see it, and gradually ease out towards the right (indicate if nececry and if safe to do so) and stay out until all obastacles have been cleared.

If an obstruction is on your side of the road and the remaining space is too narrow for 2 cars to pass (you and cars in opposite direction), and there is oncoming traffic, pull in behind the hazard, leaving yourself plenty of room before it to pull back out again, and as soon as there is a clearing, check mirrors and blind spot, indicate, move out, again stay out until all hazards have been cleared, check mirrors, indicate and move back in.
    Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fashioncookie

thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

[Jackass] wrote: »
    From my pre-test yesterday I was advised:

If you see slow sign on the road, just ease of the accelerator for a second to show the tester you have seen it, slow when coming around bends and if there is a parked car ahead, check mirrors as soon as you see it, and gradually ease out towards the right (indicate if nececry and if safe to do so) and stay out until all obastacles have been cleared.

If an obstruction is on your side of the road and the remaining space is too narrow for 2 cars to pass (you and cars in opposite direction), and there is oncoming traffic, pull in behind the hazard, leaving yourself plenty of room before it to pull back out again, and as soon as there is a clearing, check mirrors and blind spot, indicate, move out, again stay out until all hazards have been cleared, check mirrors, indicate and move back in.
    Hope that helps.

That's some good advice right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

If you are stating that traffic lights, road signs are *not* hazards, then I wouldn't stretch that far...In BSM's Hazard Perception training, these are the things that are listed in stage 1. Road/weather/traffic conditions come next, followed by other road users...

Hence, the definition of a hazard, as previously written, still stands.

I'm sorry but I can't accept that definition of hazard in my own mind! If that is indeed what they state in BSM's Hazard Perception training, they need to change that definition. It is enough (and not confusing for learners) to have the definition I had posted earlier.

Also, it does not contradict the everyday english definition of hazard which is a "source of danger" and an "unknown and unpredictable phenomenon". Both of these cannot apply to the regulatory signs themselves.

In my opinion, signs can indicate hazards but hazards can be either signed or unsigned. Usually a tester or instructor will refer to the unsigned ones only as "hazards" for marking purposes.

Advertisement