Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Place in Dublin to buy a used car.

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi folks. Am look to buy new car (Used). Probably spend between 5 and 6K. Can anybody recommend what they think is best place to go. Am not looking for any recommendings on particulars car, just on garage. Am only driving a few months, so dont know to much about cars and where to go, and only live in Dublin 2 months, so dont know Dublin that well.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Basically - nowhere as no garage can be trusted fully IMO!
    Look in several places and when you spot a car you like then get it properly checked over and make sure you get a warranty!
    Start with Carzone.ie and come back here with ideas and we will analyse them!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would, as a rule avoid any garages on the Naas Road, or ones named after legendary wizards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Yeah thanks for that Colm. My sister mentioned that place to me.

I saw a Rover on car zone. 2003 with 28,000 miles for 4500. I thought this was a good price, maybe to good. Looks like nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi folks. Am look to buy new car (Used). Probably spend between 5 and 6K. Can anybody recommend what they think is best place to go. Am not looking for any recommendings on particulars car, just on garage. Am only driving a few months, so dont know to much about cars and where to go, and only live in Dublin 2 months, so dont know Dublin that well.
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you need to focus on the actual car, not the garage. Do you have any friends/relatives who know a bit about cars and who could help you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Get someone who knows what they are doing to look with you or for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Find someone who knows cars and buy privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

And so say all of us!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Best web site - www.carzone.ie

How much is a car worth? A good guide I thought
    https://www.ros.ie/offline.html

When you are really interested in a car
    http://www.motorcheck.ie/
    You will need the Chassis number of the car / number plate / NCT cert number

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

I saw a Rover on car zone. 2003 with 28,000 miles for 4500. I thought this was a good price, maybe to good. Looks like nice car.

Under no circumstances buy a Rover. There is a reason the company went bust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Under no circumstances buy a Rover. There is a reason the company went bust

I don't own a Rover, but this is utter BS. Rover 75 is a very fine car, specially CDT version (with BMW engine), and according to all reviews it's not as bad as the rest. So blanket statements like that are a bit daft...

As for garages, were, same as others I suggest not buying from a garage, find a good one, get it checked, by it privately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RAF

Maybe I was just lucky with my Focus...
    But I would recomend Winfield Motors in Rathmines - very good customer service and the wide selection of used, well maintened cars. Resonable prices as well :-)

Raf

ok Thanks for that. I will check out the Rover and go to that place in Rathmines. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dont buy the Rover. Bad return for your money and ive had nothing but trouble with me last one. Also my mates father had the 75 ,brand new and the engine went up in flames. So imo i wouldnt buy another one. Again others have had great experience with them. Bring someone with knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

if you don't know much about cars as you admit, you are better off gettting a more reliable car than a rover. i had one and it was great fun and there are bargains to be had with rovers but you need to have someone with you who knows their stuff as there are a lot of lemons out there. if you are looking for piece of mind, buy second hand from a main dealer, probably japanese and get a decent warranty

Advertisement