Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decided i need to learn how to drive

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

ok i've decided i'm gonna learn how to drive well i actually just decided yesterday. after saying for ages that i was never going to learn cause i'd be too nervous.. I've moved home after not living at home for a year and a half so decided that it would be best if i learnt or else im going to crack up..
    I'm nearly 21.I always thought id never want to drive ive always been adamant that i was never going to so for me to be even saying that im going to start learning is a big thing..im still very nervous about starting just wondering are a lot of people nervous when they start??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

short and sweet i like it.. it's just some of my friends when they were starting didn't seem nervous at all they were all just rarin to get into the car and be able to drive on the roads so i kind of felt liek i was the only fool that was nervous of starting to drive cause none of them seemed nervous at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Harpy wrote: »
    short and sweet i like it.. it's just some of my friends when they were starting didn't seem nervous at all they were all just rarin to get into the car and be able to drive on the roads so i kind of felt liek i was the only fool that was nervous of starting to drive cause none of them seemed nervous at all.

I was one of them raring to go heads... Wasnt nervous at all...

BUT !

When it comes down to real terms, it gets a bit nervous when your out on the road somewhere you dont know too well.

I am driving, just under a year, On the green still (not my fault, waiting on a shagging test) , there are situation I have seen apparent full drivers not react to, that nearly cause harm...

Word of warning, dont be nervous driving, just take it easy, one step at a time, go places you know and build yourself up. And just remember, like me your learning to drive.. and its never ending (quite literally) the learning, not the **** us drivers have to put up with from the appalling traffic conditions..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah I was't nervous at all, couldn't wait to get out on the roads haha... dunno why people get so worked up about driving anyway.

Get a friend or your family to take you out a few times in an empty car park, should get rid of the nerves.

Good luck with the driving!

I am fearless and as tough as old boots.
    I did feel anxious learning to drive because I brought my parents with me at first.
    They were incredibly vocal and hysterical about things that might happen, not about what I was actually doing! To this day I don't like driving critical people or people who pay too much attention to my driving.

I honestly think the very best thing you can do is to get a block of lessons to start off. My friend had to learn because she got a job which required her to drive. After a week of intensive lessons she was flying on her own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Be really careful abotu who you bring with you, I brought my mother to an empty car park so I could practise starting the car and going slow in 1st gear, she screamed as soon as I turned the key in the ignition.

My father is constantly cutting out in front of other drivers at junctions, pays little attention to road markings, never indicates at roundabouts, basically takes unneccessary risks. I wouldn't have him in the car! My mother is driving 30 years and is a far safer driver than him and even now, if he's in the passenger seat, he keeps grabbing the steering wheel and the handbrake while my mother is already steering or using the footbrake herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Nervous, me too...

If you are learning with an instructor, get him/her to say it out loud to assure you when you're getting the speed correct, especially when driving around housing estates with parked cars on both sides of the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I am a learner too, desperately nervous for ages.

I am delighted to report this is my third day driving to work from south Dublin to Kildare; I never thought I'd see the day :o If I can do it anyone can.

Get a block of at least ten lessons, then start doing little trips out when you get your own car (with someone), then alone, and take it bit by bit like that. Baby steps is the best way. And just be careful, if you're not sure, don't pull out etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I much prefer driving on my own because I concentrate a lot more and I have no one to distract me. For example my boyfriend doesn't know the difference between left and right so he isn't the best person to have in the car..

Advertisement