Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up wednesday

• 22-01-2008 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Ok me and my friend have decided to give up on wedensday together..we're always gonna have a little bet so if one of us breaks breaks we have to pay for the other person for a night out.. we're both stubborn so we're hoping the fact that we have something to lose if we don't stay off will help us out a little..we're gonna go cold turkey so gonna go shoppin tomorrow and buy loadsa chewing gum and food for myself to keep me occupied..
    just wondering if ye have any tips for us..
    im 20 nearly 21 and smoking 20 fags a day since ive started college which was three years ago so i really want to give up.. i just wish it was easy:(

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

See if you can stay off fags for 24 hrs but tell no-one. Then see if you can do it for 48. If you've made it to 48 tell everyone you're off the fags.

I tried the I'll-do-it-if-you-do way, and I didn't last 2 hrs.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

JHMEG wrote: »
    See if you can stay off fags for 24 hrs but tell no-one. Then see if you can do it for 48. If you've made it to 48 tell everyone you're off the fags.
    I see where you are coming from but for me all that did was give me a get out clause. I was far less likely to give in when everyone around me knew as it became more of a pride thing plus its great to have support of people around you.

Op why not download and read this book its pretty short and i found it very good off them just over 3 weeks now!!

http://www.download.com/Stop-Smoking...html?tag=lst-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

yea i tried the whole not telling people before but i failed miserably at it haha i just kept havin sneaky ones at night and then pretending to myself i was still off them..
    wow ali well done 3 weeks hopefully ill make it that far!!

ok just had my last one going to bed now and i shall wake up in the morning as a non smoker...oh god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Harpy wrote: »
    ok just had my last one going to bed now and i shall wake up in the morning as a non smoker...oh god!

you will be fine, and you will be suprised how easy it can be when you keep your mind occupied!

best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

OP how are you getting on?

i had one cigarette wednesday stupid i know but down from 20 a day to one was good had none yesterday so on my second day today im doin ok but going out tonight so that will be the big test so if i get through that i will be delighted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

Perhaps it would help you to think that as soon as you've had one, you're a smoker again, and that cancels out everything you've achieved so far.

I know when I gave up, the concept of cancelling out the days or weeks I'd already managed and beginning again at the first step was enough to help me get by the worst cravings.

Try deep focused breaths in through your nose when the craving hits, concentrate on the breath in, hold it for 7 seconds, and then concentrate on breathing out heavily through your mouth like you're blowing out a candle. Continue this til the cravings pass. (which they will).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lance111

After 10 days are the craving so bad??
    As I have read that after 3 days we are totaly clean, but the extra is the mental cravings, is this true???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

After 3 days, the physical cravings should be gone as most/all of the nicotine will have left your body but the mental cravings can continue - they definitely get less frequent though.

I'm off them over 5 months and up until Wednesday, I'd forgotten what cravings were like. I got stressed Wednesday evening, and out of nowhere, a craving! I'm happy to say that instead of getting disappointed by the craving, I laughed at it because I immediately recognised it for "junkie thinking"....anything for just one more cigarette! The longer since your last cigarette, the less you'll get these triggers and the better you'll be able to handle them.

Good advice from Archeron above; to which I would add that the craving will pass...whether you smoke or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Lance111 wrote: »
    After 10 days are the craving so bad??
    As I have read that after 3 days we are totaly clean, but the extra is the mental cravings, is this true???

truth be told lance the cravings are only ever as bad as you let them get. the actual physical withdrawl stage only lasts 3 days, but during these 3 days its the mental anguish you suffer that brings on the worst cravings IMO. having quit a few times i always found that the physical craving of nicotine to be slim to none.

3 days is a good baseline, if you can survive the 3 days then you can survive quitting successfully, but be wary. The cravings are never just *poof* gone, it takes the next few months to reassure your thinking and habits that smoking isnt something to seek after or enjoy.

Advertisement