Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Offender - Knife Possession

• 22-01-2008 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

A friend of mine was arrested in possession of a knife.
    He has no previous convictions, never been in any form of legal trouble in his life.

The whys and what fors are probably irrelevant, but he was actually taking the knife from one place to another and called someone for a lift. As it happened, the car was pulled over at a check point, he and the driver were searched and the knife was found.

So I'm just wondering if anyone either employed in the legal field or who may be studying law could chime in and perhaps offer their opinion on what the outcome is likely to be.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I think you friend is in a lot of trouble.

No one should be in the possation of a knife, unless it is for work related use.

IE. Your friend collected him from work.

Even at that , he should not have a knife on his person, it is a weapon.

Just think of it like this...

Two people, a car, and a knife. If I was him, I would start coming up with some good reason as too why he was in possation of a knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Already recently covered in this thread

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

plook wrote: »
    A friend of mine was arrested in possession of a knife.
    He has no previous convictions, never been in any form of legal trouble in his life.

The whys and what fors are probably irrelevant, but he was actually taking the knife from one place to another and called someone for a lift. As it happened, the car was pulled over at a check point, he and the driver were searched and the knife was found.

So I'm just wondering if anyone either employed in the legal field or who may be studying law could chime in and perhaps offer their opinion on what the outcome is likely to be.

Thanks.

Happened to a friend of mine. Knife was taken from him and was told he would be summonsed to appear before the court. New nothing about the laws etc and persuaded him to drop charges as it was work related. Never saw the knife again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

msg11 wrote: »
    No one should be in the possation of a knife, unless it is for work related use.

What rot, it totally depends on the type of knife, the size and type as a single edged pen knife which has a blade not bigger then 4 inches is perfectly legal to carry on your person.

Having a breadknife or a clever on your person is a different thing entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What rot, it totally depends on the type of knife, the size and type as a single edged pen knife which has a blade not bigger then 4 inches is perfectly legal to carry on your person.

To the bst of my knowledge there's no mention on the size of the blade in law, it only says that you must prove that you have a good reason or lawful authority to have the knife in public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

You're wrong here,

section 9(1) offensive weapons act 1990 it is an offence to have a knife in a public place without reasonable excuse, having it for work reasons is a reasonable excuse, the size of it does not matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭celt2005

Law was changed due to spate of Stanley attacks, covers weapons deemed to be dangerous , sharpened spoons, used syringes et al.

Advertisement