Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shed wiring advice

Options
  • 22-01-2008 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I am wiring up a new garden shed. The shed is located very close to the house (about 4 feet away)

I have basically tapped into an existing socket in the kitchen and have run a 2.5mm cable from it to the shed. The cabling is on the outside wall and runs overhead to the shed. The sockets in the house are 20A.

In the Shed I intend to have a two lights, fridge, washing machine, tumble dryer and a maybe a drill, unlikely that these will be on at the same time.

The feed from the house into the shed enters a fused switch (13A). And from it then to a junction box (rated 30A) that I split into 1.5mm cable for lights and 2.5mm cable for sockets.

I should probably add RCD protection to the shed aswell. Should I get a mini consumer box with a RCBO 16A for the sockets and a MCB 10A for the lights?

Apart from this, is that okay load/safety wise?

I realise the proper way is to run a fresh cable directlt from the consumer box.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi DanIrl

Without doubt get a consumer unit for the shed. With all that equip running you need to be safe.

Bury some arm. cable 2.5 (should do) from the house to the shed

Also if you have space put it on its own MCB in the house fuse box.

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danIrl

Thanks, I will install a consumer box aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

As garyh3 said, you'll need to use Steel Wire Armored (SWA) cable outside, or you could use steel conduit and run the 2.5sq inside this. Both methods are tricky if you've never used them before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Sorry to butt in here, I'm planning to do something similar. However
    Distance is somewhat greater. ~10m.

I'll be connecting up a garage and a shed
    Shed will just be a light and maybe a socket for eg lawn mower.
    Garage however will be running a compressor 20A and welder 16A though not at same time. Also lights and several sockets. So separate consumer unit in garage.
    I plan to lay armoured cable back to the main fuse box and put on separate MCA.

So my main question, this must be on a Ring circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

tlyons wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in here, I'm planning to do something similar. However
    Distance is somewhat greater. ~10m.

I'll be connecting up a garage and a shed
    Shed will just be a light and maybe a socket for eg lawn mower.
    Garage however will be running a compressor 20A and welder 16A though not at same time. Also lights and several sockets. So separate consumer unit in garage.
    I plan to lay armoured cable back to the main fuse box and put on separate MCA.

So my main question, this must be on a Ring circuit?

It doesn't need to be a ring circuit. Maybe you can put a consumer unit in the garage and feed the shed electrics from this? In any case, you'll need to run a large cable from the consumer unit in the house to the new one in the garage. As the load in the garage is quite big, you'll need a pretty large SWA cable. Plus you should do volt drop calculations etc. Maybe time to call a sparks?

Oh yea, just to point out, there is a separate Electrical forum - You'll get good answers from the guys over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

you could run a 5 x 2.5 swa from the fuse board to the shed and use one core for the live for the sockets, one core for the live for the lights and neutral and earth........and a spare. put them on there own mcbs and you shouldnt have to put a consumer unit in the shed. you could pu tthe sockets on there own rcd for extra protection and if something in the shed trips it shouldnt trip the house rcd.
    ps im not a sparks but have a little knowlege......which can be more dangerous than none:rolleyes:
    also if putting any type of consumer unit or jb in a shed or garage make sure its ip rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Thanks guys

Advertisement