Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Turf

Options
  • 22-01-2008 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello all,

Got some work done during the summer, Which has left some pretty big mud patches in my back garden. I was thinking of just putting down some seed but it wouldnt be practical due to my german shepherds constant running around the garden.

Can anyone give me some info on the rolls of turf you can buy...
    1. How much pre square metre ?( if thats what they charge by )
    2. Who stocks this?

Thanks for the advice

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

www.onlineturf.com sell them in ireland... just found them the other day...

I'm in the same situation as yourself, but instead of GSD's there are 8 big basset hound feet lumping around the garden, - planning on doing it in 4 sections over a 6 week period... Will take time but hopfully it will work!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The dogs will rip up turf rolls in a day, keeping big dogs in a garden just doesnt work, they will create mud patches as they change direction, these turn to weeds or (at this time of year) mucky puddles...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

After the turf has been installed it is very important that the area remain traffic free (ie adults/children) for at least 2-3 weeks and more likely longer during colder damp conditions. Dogs will create havoc with newly laid roll turf and short of fencing off the area for 4-5 weeks, it is difficult to see how your plans will work.

Best of luck anyways. Reputable suppliers include Summerhill Lawns in Summerhill (Meath of course), Gary Flood in Clonroche (Wexford) and Landscape Depot in Kiltipper/Tallaght (Dublin).

Rolls can vary in widths and area but typically 1.5 Sq yd/roll and expect to pay approx € 5.00 or a bit less/Sq yd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Thanks for the info. I reckon ill need enough turf to cover 5 or 6 square metres. Ill fence it off for 4 -5 weeks.

Should I wait untill feb or march to lay the turf of can I do it now???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You can turf anytime except during very wet spells, turf tends to be very heavy and handling can be difficult. Ensure ground is relatively flat and has been raked to a fine tilt, even better topdress with a small amount of lawnsand or compost. Remember the roll will not level the ground. You can use the back edge of a rake or a joist to tamp and firm the ground.

Avoid any repeat joints along short edges, ie stagger the joints by starting every second row with a half roll. When rolled, gently tap down along joints down to ensure all seams are well butted together and flat.

Sprinkle lightly with water and keep off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

I layed turf during the summer, got mine from onlineturf.com. Alot of the suppliers will not deliver so onlineturf is your best bet - cheap and good quality.

I would think that this is the wrong time to lay it though, wait until march / april.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭walshs3

Place just outside tullamore,not too far from westmeath http://www.goldenpages.ie/detailsSearch.ds?detailsListingId=IE_334650_3&tab=

Advertisement