Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Always pulled in by garda

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

MYOB wrote: »
    I was getting breathylsed twice a week at checkpoints over Christmas - young male, small Italian car, driving (frequently) late at night, might forget to switch the radio off my CD changer of tech trance on to Radio 1 before I wind the window down.

They do profile based on vehicles it seems.

That is for sure. A garda sgt told me so before. Down my way, Honda civics are singled out for special attention from the traffic corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would also suggets that you get a decent map and figure out vyour route prior to departure !

There is nothing worse than driving behind someone who is obviously lost, or concentrating on finding something. They loose all awareness of what traffic is around them !

I'm not being smart BTW, I'm just stating what I have experienced as another road user and passenger ! ( and as someone who has no sense of direction.........or memory for that matter ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

This thread is bizarre.

OP - maybe you just can't drive to save your life? Not being smart but not everyone can do it.

Being pulled over for being a scumbag driving a muppet mobile mobile is one thing but if things are as you say then you just must be an awful danger to yourself and others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

OP: Do you have a full licence? You were very short with another poster telling them to pass their driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You may be slowing down looking for where you want to go and this looks like the over-compensating that drunks do.

Or they may think you are casing places to rob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

The Hacker wrote: »
    When driving in areas or roads I don't normally drive on, this has happened 3 times in the last 2 months and also a few times last summer and I'm getting absolutely sick of it - want to lodge a complaint or something. They pull me in and breathalyze me or ask me why my driving is so bad. This is annoying because I have a full driving license, and no penalty points. Its just when I'm on roads that I'm not used to (I drive on known roads I'm used to everyday and never get stopped) and it's usually at night, but when I have to go collect someone and I dunno the road that well. GRRRR

If your the so called "hacker" then hack driving. Hackers have great technical competence.

Otherwise get lessons. I hate slow drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

KIVES wrote: »
    Myself and a guy from work had reason to stay over in Oldcastle a few times last summer and we were stopped on two occasions by the guards travelling along the road to Kells - It was a Company car, a 2006 Mondeo I believe, and each time it was around midday or just after when they hauled us over - absolutely nothing dodgy about my mates driving - the funny thing is, if you happened to be mugged in OldCastle after 6 O'Clock you'd have a half an hour wait on the cops to arrive from Kells (as they no longer have a full time base in oldcastle) - It's hard to fathom really...

Is your car D reged. I live in Meath and drive a D reg company vehicle, one particular Traffic cop from Kells has stopped me at check points twice and been rather ignorant to me just because I'm originally from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Is your car D reged. I live in Meath and drive a D reg company vehicle, one particular Traffic cop from Kells has stopped me at check points twice and been rather ignorant to me just because I'm originally from Dublin.

Solution - don't drive a D reg. I *sound* like I'm from Dublin (I'm not) but have had a DL, MH and KE reg car. Culchie gardai care a lot less about a non-D reg'ed "veh-ik-el" usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

MYOB wrote: »
    Solution - don't drive a D reg. I *sound* like I'm from Dublin (I'm not) but have had a DL, MH and KE reg car. Culchie gardai care a lot less about a non-D reg'ed "veh-ik-el" usually.

Sad is it not, that they single out certains regs for extra special attention.

It is discrimination really but who's ever going to be able to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The Hacker wrote: »
    Yes it's always at night. I wear glasses when driving because I am short-sighted. My last eyetest was only a few months ago. So it's not my eyes.

Yes actually they are, the ones I get stopped on are always ****ty backroads with no road markings/no street lights/unkept hedges/trees etc. I LITERALLY can't drive on them.

Ah sounds like what I affectionately call "a braker".
    Every bend, every hint of oncoming traffic slam on the brakes.

I know some of our roads are not great but do you expect every road in the country to be fully marked and fully lit for you ?
    There is enough light pollution out there already.
    If you think the roads to Ballymore Eustace, either from Naas direction or from Blessington are bad then you haven't really driven much in Ireland.

If you are being stopped and breath tested then they reckon you are drunk.
    Either you are driving way below speed limit (points to someone being ultra careful not be caught speeding because drunk) and/or you are driving erratically, weaving, slamming on brakes etc.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If you are driving on bad roads, come to Monaghan and you ll know all about bad roads. Slow down!

Advanced driving = advanced thinking, so maybe put into practice.

I am short sighted and do alot of night driving, I have anto glare on my lenses, I have no problem looking straight into on coming lights. As where GF doesnt wear glasses and has a hard time driving at night because of the lights on on coming cars.

Night time driving should actually be easier than driving during the day on un known roads in my opinion for this reason,

1. You can use full beams when no traffic around.

2. You can dip for full beams coming up to hard bends to see if there is any traffic on coming by looking out for their full beams. This will allow you to decide on how fast to take a corner.

Driving around a corner or bend, never go over a speed that is to great that will not allow to stop in time based on the distance you can see ahead aka the apex of the corner or bend.

3. You can see oncoming cars ahead and can judge the lay out of the road better for bends up ahead for dips in the road up ahead from the moment of their head lights.

I hate "brakers" they drive me crazy, speed up brake, speed up brake....Agr.

Stay at a consistent speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

:DThese new rules will stop you getting pulled over

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A
    confident Irish driver avoids using them.

2. Under no circumstance should you maintain a safe
    distance between you and the car in front of you, because somebody else
    will fill in the space, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the
    less chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never get in the way of an older car that needs
    extensive bodywork,especially with WW, MO or MH plates. With no
    insurance the operator probably has nothing to lose.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that
    your ABS kicks in, giving a vigorous, foot massage as the brake pedal
    violently pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to
    strengthen your leg muscles.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the
    left. It's a good way to prepare other drivers entering the motorway.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as
    a suggestion and are not enforceable in Ireland during rush hour.

8. Always brake and rubberneck when you see an
    accident or even someone changing a tyre. This is seen as a sign of respect
    for the victim.

9. Learn to swerve abruptly without signalling.Ireland is the home of
    high-speed slalom driving thanks to the Department of Public Works,
    which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep
    them alert!

10. It is tradition in Ireland to honk your horn at cars in front of you
    that do not move three milliseconds after the light turns green.

11. To avoid injury in the event of a collision or rollover, it is
    important to exit your vehicle through the windscreen right away.
    Wearing your seat belt will only impede your hi-velocity escape from
    danger.

12. Remember that the goal of every Irish driver is to get ahead of the pack by whatever means necessary.

13. Remember this simple rule - Green for go, Amber
    for go, Red for proceed with caution.

14 . WARNING! Never come to a complete stop at a stop
    sign. No oneexpects it and it will result in you being
    rear-ended

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but are you french?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Number 8 is my favourite:D:D

Advertisement