Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artist Community Site

Options
  • 22-01-2008 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hello lads,

I'm looking for a few suggestions on creating an artists community site. 1 main page with editable news and then each artist can register and have their own page (www.artistscommunity.com/artists_name for example) with a simple blog and a simple gallery within (flash based like simpleviewer mabe) that could maybe allow for different sections. Any recommendations as to what to use? There could be anywhere between 15 to 50 to maybe more artists in the future but probs 15 at least at the start. I will be charging nothing for the site as it's for my fellow artists in the community. Any and all recommendations would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time :)

|Chief|

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Bloody hell I'm just re-reading what I wrote and I didn't make it very clear what I was asking, that'll teach me to post at bloody 4am...

What would you guys recommend software wise... does joomla cater for that kind of thing or is there a multi user wordpress etc with maybe gallary 1 or 2 bolt ons, that would create users as they registered with their own sub domain. I'm researching different configurations but to be honest am not that hot on php and database stuff or cms'.

Again thank you for your time.

|Chief|

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hey Chief... I like what I'm hearing here :)

Joomla caters for this kind of thing alright.. but the problem usually lies in the amount of features which need to be taken out or deactivated so as not to over complicate things for the artists and end users. It can sometimes be a bit too much.

I'm having trouble connecting to Joomla.org at the moment so I can't see if they've (finally) upgraded to 1.5, but last time I looked at Joomla the pre-1.5 release was seriously starting to show it's age.

Another one which might be worth checking out is Expresion Engine. I haven't gotten around to playing with it much myself but I've been hearing good things about it. It's not open source but the 'core' version is free.

Btw.. I should be up your direction this weekend (Friday night to Sunday evening). Would love to chat about this project if you've got the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Joomla announced 1.5 stable today, so hundreds more components and modules on line soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

oh, just today? that's a coincidence :)

Still having trouble connecting to the site though. Maybe it's getting hammered with people trying to download the new version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nickides

that what you want is possible with Joomla, not with 1.5 but with 1.0.13 which is pretty stable. We wait for 1.0.14 to be released soon. It will take some time until every extension will be released for the latest 1.5.1 version.

I've done this what you want for a brewing network. The breweries can register and than have their own representation and gallery. There is no blog yet for every user as this is not needed for us but I have seen the blog possiblity as well and have experimented for a students network site where every student had his own blog, blogroll, comments, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

forget joomla for something like this, what you want is something like jamroom it has everything your looking for from allowing users to post blogs , upload music , video and photos and a built in community forum (though the forums not the best truth be told) and is very stable (was running a site with 1,500 artists on it without issue)

it's free for your first 5 registrations after that you have to pay for a once of scalable license ($19 for 25 registrations up to $99 for unlimited) and has plenty of bolt ons to further extend it's functionality. it's also able to plugin to various other cms and forums like joomla , xoops , vbulletin , phpBB on so on

it's also got the added advantage of being fully customisable bog standard install looks like this customised job looks like this

you can have the same functionality like jamroom for free... use phpizabi ... http://www.phpizabi.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Goodshape wrote: »
    Joomla caters for this kind of thing alright.. but the problem usually lies in the amount of features which need to be taken out or deactivated so as not to over complicate things for the artists and end users.
    Joomla 1.5 stable is much better regarding deactivating features, etc.

nevf wrote: »
    Joomla 1.5 stable is much better regarding deactivating features, etc.

about features to deactivate are you talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

nickides wrote: »
    about features to deactivate are you talking here?
    ...Or should I say features already deactivated, and mostly not there at all :D

But thats a good thing. Joomla 1.0.x was so flossed up, it became a powerful piece of ugly-ness.

• Advertisement

hmm, I have seen many cms but I will not say that it is messed up. it is feature rich and extendable in any way. what open source cms will you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

joomla can definately do what you need.

but make sure you give drupal a look. i think its alot more powerful and alot of things come bundled with it as oppsed to joomla.version 6 of drupal was released very receently too

Advertisement