Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sympathy please!

• 22-01-2008 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm pretty much the only female in my office. I called in sick yesterday because I've been in bed since Saturday with some kind of bug/flu. Thought I'd be better by today but still feel unable to eat (well without getting sick anyway!).

Now I have had 2 other sick days since October. One was a bad cold and the other was when I had to go to the doctor for tests etc. Now this.Oh and a "personal day" when my aunt got taken to hospital. A lot I know but it couldn't be helped tbh.

Anyway, when I called my boss was kinda rude to me. He was like "U-huh, u-huh, right well I'll see you when I see you". That was yesterday. I explained to him I'd been sick all weekend and said I'd hopefully be in the next day (ie. today) but didn't know as I felt like crap.

I dunno if I should call again today considering I did already explain that I may not be in. Maybe a text would suffice. I dunno.

Anyway, we went for a pint the day we got our Christmas holidays and he spent the whole time talking about sick days and how he didn't seem to think anyone should take one unless they were in hospital. Then he told me that when it was just himself and the other lads in the office that there was only 3 sick days between them in 4 years or some sh!t. It's true though, they work through everything (sickness to the death of parents, honestly!) and I just can't/won't do that.

Do you think women on average take more sick days than men? That's what I'm being made feel like anyway.

Sorry about the rant but jesus, I can't help it if I'm sick, nor do I want to infect anyone else! However, I think they may actually fire me over this. It sucks because I really like my job.
    :(

Comments

Feck him Lady J. He is an ignorant twat to try and lay on a guilt trip.
    It it the height of bad manners to go into work with something contagious in my book.

I once worked with a man who pulled a 6 month sickie with no doctors note, and then tried to wangle a promotion because of the disability it had left him with.

I have had several male co-workers tell me that they were pulling a sickie to watch a match.

The Irish men I have worked with have generally been less productive than the women. This laziness increases proportional as the ratio of men to women decreases. I have seen alot of men in female dominated envioroments, feel that they have a right to be cosseted by the women, do sweet f/a and waltz into career advancement because the male management considers them one of the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I've never been fired before and I really think it's going to happen. I guess I have been off a lot in the past few months but I've had an awful lot on my plate and I've always been prone to getting sick from stress/over-tiredness.

I feel like I'm going to have to "explain myself" when I go back and apologise or something. I know it's really inconvenient for them but what can I do?! Also, I have a lot of hospital appointments coming up (ultrasound, heart echo, blood tests) because I've had a few problems lately and they want to make sure that everything is functioning ok. However, my boss laughs at me all the time over this. He tries to make out like I'm just being hilariously stupid to even think that I need any of these tests!

Not only this but he comments on what I eat all the time. I'm not overweight or anything so it's nothing like that but he just always says "Oh what's wrong?.....You're not eating!" As if that's all I do or something! No one else takes lunch at all. I eat breakfast, at my desk occasionally and go out for lunch. Since when is this odd?

He makes no remarks to the men but asks me things like, "So did you have chips for lunch again?" Not that I even eat chips all that much! I dunno. I'm just annoyed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I would make sure to ring him and tell him you wont be in....

I hope your feeling better soon.

I'm not impressed with the sound of him at all. :mad:

I think it would be better to call in if you are worried about losing your job.
    In my expierence if someone has been rude when they heard you weren't coming in, it is because they panic. When you ring the they second day they are on top it and are grand.
    I'd ring him and if he is still being an asshole I'd stay out the third day and cover yourself with a doctors note for the records.

Does he talk about your private medical information in the middle of the office? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

<retract my statement: just realised this was ladies lounge.>

OP you should ring him regardless, just to let him know. Would he have taught it was a monday hangover?

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    Yeah it's great being a man - I can't turn around for all the promotions I get! :rolleyes:
    Actually think I'll ask for another today...

OP you should ring him regardless, just to let him know. Would he have taught it was a monday hangover?

This is true of my work expierences, I never said it was true of anyone elses.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

ring in. do not send a text.

so sorry to hear of that rubbish LadyJ, your boss is a pig. don't think they can fire you over something like that tho missus, might be worth giving the Citizens Advice bureau a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Can you not get a doctors cert, you've been sick for 4 days now. If two of them were work days you'd definitely be in trouble!

Ah it's not that big a deal. I only need a job until August anyway because I'm hopefully
    heading back to college. However, it's just that this is a pretty cushy job and I'm good at it. Well, I think I am anyway. And I don't generally like my job so it's good enough for me. Only problem is the lunatic I work for!

I dunno, I just think it's hilarious because I would just never call in sick if I wasn't sick! I don't even drink during the week or on Sunday nights so I'm never hungover and he knows this so his attitude really gets to me.

MargeS wrote: »
    Can you not get a doctors cert, you've been sick for 4 days now. If two of them were work days you'd definitely be in trouble!

I thought doctor notes only applied if you'd been off work for 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

LadyJ wrote: »

You need a note for the 3rd day but some employeer can insist on a dr note for any sick days.

Ring in cough and splutter and wheeze down the phone at him.
    Don't let him intimidate you into not following the protocal for sick days as that can get you a written warning if not sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I's agree with getting a sick note just so you're covered and he can't imply you were just pulling a sickie. It's completely out of order that he's belittling your hospital visits and it's not your fault if the rest of the people in your office have decided to be the bosses slave and never take lunch. Your entitled to your lunch and to days off if you're sick. I think some bosses just expect new people to act the same as everyone else in the office i.e. if no-one takes lunch then you shouldn't either :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

They do. But I feel that it looks more official if you have a doctors cert. They have no real come back then because its officially documented that you're sick, rather it being on your say so. Its just covering your a$$.

I thought this was the case too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I realise you need 3 work days off sick to get a doc cert but in this case LadyJ has been sick for 4 days,. I think at this point she would need to go to a doc regardless of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

TBH, regardless of how many days your off I'd still get the doctor's cert just to cover myself. Especially if he's being a twit about it! At least you can give it to him and he can't say a word!!

Under no circumstances send a text message. Call or leave a voicemail if you don't want to talk to him.

Might get my ass to the doctor so.
    I just never go to the doctor for things like flu. Stupid I know but I always just get over them on my own.
    However, I'll see if he can speed up my recovery!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

LadyJ- there are a few things doing the rounds at the moment- its better to be safe than sorry.

To be honest- its never nice to be the only guy or the only girl, in an office comprised predominantly of members of the opposite sex.

In general (from public sector statistics) women do take on average almost 3 times as many sick days than men. However- the inverse of this is men simply don't take care of their health- and if something does go seriously wrong- its far more likely to be far worse than it might otherwise be. Its probably one of the reasons that women live nine years longer in Ireland than men do......

For your own sake I would recommend that you visit a doctor and get a sick note- then your sickleave is certified sickleave as opposed to uncertified sickleave. You are legally entitled to take a certain number of uncertified sick days per year- if you go over this, it can be factored into disciplinary hearings.

Ultimately- I'd suggest you look for a job elsewhere- as they do seem to have a caveman mentality, and its not fair on yourself trying to work in a place where you feel that you are always being scrutinised.

S.

Just back from my amazing doctor! He tells me that the reason I have been getting fluy symptoms on and off for years is because I have sinusitis. I also have a chest infection and he's given me a cert and advised me not to leave the house until Monday! Also prescribed antibiotics for me!

Wow, I should really stop avoiding the doctor! He's a freakin' genius!
    No more bad breathing or sinusy headaches for LadyJ! Life is good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

glad you got it sorted. more days off & a doctors note to wave in his face, yay :D

as for the women taking more sick days then men, dont know whether its true or not but men are 100 times more annoying when theyre sick than women. men dont get sick, the nearly DIE (thats what my bfs like anyway :p). id rather take 1 day off to recover & get over the worst of it than go to work sniffling & coughing & annoying everyone & making the whole office sick

• Advertisement

sar84 wrote: »
    glad you got it sorted. more days off & a doctors note to wave in his face, yay :D

as for the women taking more sick days then men, dont know whether its true or not but men are 100 times more annoying when theyre sick than women. men dont get sick, the nearly DIE (thats what my bfs like anyway :p). id rather take 1 day off to recover & get over the worst of it than go to work sniffling & coughing & annoying everyone & making the whole office sick

Cheers sar84!

I know what you mean about men playing the death card! Lol.
    This has certainly been true of all of my boyfriends anyway!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cool!
    Now, I bet you're glad you went to the Doctor!
    Take care- and heed his advice,

S.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Cool!
    Now, I bet you're glad you went to the Doctor!
    Take care- and heed his advice,

S.

I am glad I gotta say! And thanks for your advice smccarrick!

Also, it's good to know that other people reckon they're being assholes too
    because sometimes I wonder if I'm just being a little too sensitive about all
    of the crap that they say to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

smccarrick wrote: »
    LadyJ- there are a few things doing the rounds at the moment- its better to be safe than sorry.

To be honest- its never nice to be the only guy or the only girl, in an office comprised predominantly of members of the opposite sex.

In general (from public sector statistics) women do take on average almost 3 times as many sick days than men. However- the inverse of this is men simply don't take care of their health- and if something does go seriously wrong- its far more likely to be far worse than it might otherwise be. Its probably one of the reasons that women live nine years longer in Ireland than men do......

For your own sake I would recommend that you visit a doctor and get a sick note- then your sickleave is certified sickleave as opposed to uncertified sickleave. You are legally entitled to take a certain number of uncertified sick days per year- if you go over this, it can be factored into disciplinary hearings.

Ultimately- I'd suggest you look for a job elsewhere- as they do seem to have a caveman mentality, and its not fair on yourself trying to work in a place where you feel that you are always being scrutinised.

S.

3 times as many? Is that really true? Are they lumping maternity leave in with sick days or something? Seems a lot, though.

Anyway, LadyJ, it's really really hard to fire someone for medical reasons. As long as you're out of the probationary stage of work. And the fact that you have a docs note makes it even more difficult to sack you.

Glad you got it sorted though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Get yourself a doctor's note and hand it to him when you get in. If your are sick you shouldn't be in work and he really shouldn't be encouraging to come to work with contagious illnesses. I had a similar problem years ago when I had t take weeks off work for something and when I got back they tried to give me a writing warning regarding my sick leave even though I wasn't physically able to work. My own union rep would do nothing so I brought in another union rep and had a meeting with the managers and since then as far as I know they can't give warnings to people who's sick leave is covered by a doctor.

Cheers sar84!

I know what you mean about men playing the death card! Lol.
    This has certainly been true of all of my boyfriends anyway!

Maybe it's just my boyfriend but he takes waaaaaaaay more sick days than any female I know and it's mostly for the 'flu' which is never actually a flu but rather a cold! Man flu is a life threatening illness apparently!!

Glad you got it sorted LadyJ, I've got some weird sinus thing too but think it's just hayfever, sinus problems suck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Coming from a point of view where people would ring into me telling me their sick LadyJ. Always ALWAYS unless you can't physically talk ring in and let the boss know.
    Don't take this the wrong way but for e.g. if you ring in sick and 2 other ppl have rang in sick, the 1st thing that goes through the head is." Right that means were going to be at least a days work behind" or "That means we dont have enough ppl to answer the calls and break SLA" or something along those lines, he wont really care and if he seems offish, its not cause its AT you rather than thinking the above. As long as you have a sick note from a DOC saying you were sick don't worry about it and F Him. Glad you went to DOC always good to find out something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Have to say I rarely if ever take any sick days...

But so far as I know, if you've a doctors note covering you, then they can't discipline you, warn you or fire you for it.
    If they do, then you take them up for unfair dismissal.

Then see who's feeling sick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I disagree with the idea of either men or women pulling more sickies.

If your sick, your sick. Maybe your just more susceptable to bugs or else you keep getting hit again before you recover, it's all up to the individual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Glad you got it sorted LadyJ...don't mind your Boss, feck him, if you're sick you're sick.

Advertisement