Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

requst help in setting up internet connection on a network

• 22-01-2008 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi i need help in setting up a an internet connection on a network between two computers at home. One is XP and the other is vista.... and i set up the host on the xp one...the internet connection i have is the vodafone 3g usb plug and play connection. I have connected this to the host (xp computer). the thing is we cannot get the internet connection to work on the vista computer. we went to the microsoft help center and this is confusing. do we need other connections...all we have is a wire between the two computers. when reading the help it mentions about an ip address...what would the ip address be and where do i get one... hope some one can help

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emaherx

What sort of wire do you have connecting the two computers?
    If it is CAT5 Ethernet cable then it must be a cross over cable and not a straight through. Straight through cables require use of an Ethernet Switch.
    look at ends of cable through the clear plastic RJ45 connectors they should be wired diffrently from each other as per cross over diagram below.

T568B_scheme_opt.jpg

Also ICS Internet Connection Sharing needs to be enabled on the machine with internet access.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

host computer needs IP address of 192.168.0.1
    clients can be set by dhcp or set to any addres in range 192.168.0.x

hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Pretty sure those diagrams are wrong, and that the official TIA/EIA standards have the white-striped wires going first (i.e. T568B is white-orange, then orange, and so-on).

Not that it matters for a single cable though...

FruitLover wrote: »
    Pretty sure those diagrams are wrong, and that the official TIA/EIA standards have the white-striped wires going first (i.e. T568B is white-orange, then orange, and so-on).

Not that it matters for a single cable though...

You know I think your right, I used google images to search for diagram and it was the first one I clicked on. :o
    Colour scheme would be right if the striped cables were swapped with the solid colours.

however all the OP needs to do is check that the two ends aren't identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

The diagram is wrong allright.. 4 & 5 are always blue and blue white..orange and green cross over
    easiest way is (reading from the left) no 1 at one end is white orange and number 2 is orange) at the other end no 1 will be white green and no 2 green)... ps generally a crosssover cable is clearly marked..

Just to save confusion proper diagram for crossover
    568B is more common

cat5_cross_100_both.gif

and for straight through

cat5_color.gif

The original diagrams in my first post would have worked if making your own cable but aren't the industry standard.

I apologize for not looking at them more carefully before posting.

Not all crossovers are that clearly marked.

• Advertisement

If I had to make a x over cable I'd simply wire to B at one end and A at the other..
    Should have said Clearly marked when they are new:D

JohnnieM wrote: »
    If I had to make a x over cable I'd simply wire to B at one end and A at the other..
    Should have said Clearly marked when they are new:D

That would be fine for up to 100 Mbps but if they are 1000 Mbps adapters then the diagram is more correct.

I belive that Gigabyte lan requires 4 pairs so it is good practice to make full crossover cables.

Simplicity is the name of the game:D

Advertisement