Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonely Planet's verdict of Dublin

Options
  • 22-01-2008 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

I see on the front page of Herald AM this morning, the Lonely Planet called Dublin a town of 'sloppy drunkeness' and our alledged cultural quarter was referred to as 'temple barf'

The irony is that those sloppy drunks barfing in our cultural quarter are probably 75% Brits on hen and stag nights! No self respecting Dublin person would be seen near the place on a Friday or Saturday night.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was listening to a discussion about that on the wireless on my way to work, they also gave Tralee a bit of a hard time saying "the request for a cigarette is never too far away" referring to their apparent scabbiness lol.. I thought that was quite funny.. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I see on the front page of Herald AM this morning, the Lonely Planet called Dublin a town of 'sloppy drunkeness' and our alledged cultural quarter was referred to as 'temple barf'

The irony is that those sloppy drunks barfing in our cultural quarter are probably 75% Brits on hen and stag nights! No self respecting Dublin person would be seen near the place on a Friday or Saturday night.

No, my experience is that its mainly the locals who feel it is their right to puke where they stand and piss onto any immovable object they encounter.
    Lets face it, whether we like it or not Lonely Planet hit the nail on the head. On a recent trip into Temple Bar I was frankly embarassed by the behaviour I witnessed at the end of the night, and all of it from loud-mouthed Dubs and other Irish locked out of their heads.
    And there is very little 'cultural' about Temple Bar so I dont know why its called a 'cultural quarter', unless it is a reference to our drinking culture!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

deswalsh wrote: »
    No, my experience is that its mainly the locals who feel it is their right to puke where they stand and piss onto any immovable object they encounter.
    Lets face it, whether we like it or not Lonely Planet hit the nail on the head. On a recent trip into Temple Bar I was frankly embarassed by the behaviour I witnessed at the end of the night, and all of it from loud-mouthed Dubs and other Irish locked out of their heads.
    And there is very little 'cultural' about Temple Bar so I dont know why its called a 'cultural quarter', unless it is a reference to our drinking culture!

yeah but for lonely planet to be recommending tourists head to temple is stupid anyway it is a filthy dirty area at night filled with over priced bars with terrible atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Does anybody really care about what they - and their corny, student definitions of what defines a 'untouched' and 'cultural' visitor destination - think?

They are the kind of snobs who want everywhere to conform to their notions of what the country should be, and complain when it becomes 'spoiled' (that is, full of their contemporaries).

What do they f*cking expect to see in somewhere like Temple Bar? I don't like it, but plenty of visitors do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Temple Bar is an embarassment, but then again the whole city is on a Saturday night. So much drinking, puking, shouting, pis*ing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

dudara wrote: »
    Temple Bar is an embarassment, but then again the whole city is on a Saturday night. So much drinking, puking, shouting, pis*ing.

yeah good times eh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

As someone who works in the tourism industry, I can tell you that Temple Bar is by some margin the number 1 tourist destination in Dublin. 90% of people come here to get sh1t-faced, not to look at the Book of Kells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

latenia wrote: »
    As someone who works in the tourism industry, I can tell you that Temple Bar is by some margin the number 1 tourist destination in Dublin. 90% of people come here to get sh1t-faced, not to look at the Book of Kells.

That's exactly why I avoid Temple Bar like the plague whenever I'm in Dublin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I prefer drunken louts having a p*ss against the wall than all the emos that hang around during the day

for Christ sake, GET A JOB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I have frequented Dublin City late on a weekend night and been sober and I find it rather disturbing to see the state that people let themselves get into. Shocking to say the least.

Girls spending hours to make themselves pretty before they go out, only to spend half that time getting colossally drunk. Where is the sense in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Same as any town or city in Ireland on a Saturday night. I was in Westport a while ago, couln't believe the carry on, one fella, locked, fell out under a (driving) car, I don't know how he survived.

I guess Dublin has a lot more tourists, Dubliners, Immigrants and thousands of people from all over Ireland converging in the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

stovelid wrote: »
    Does anybody really care about what they - and their corny, student definitions of what defines a 'untouched' and 'cultural' visitor destination - think?
    Unfortunatly yes,tourists do,the books are written for them,and I suppose the hundreds of thousand of people who's employment depends on tourism.
    If i read negative comments about a probable holiday destination It will affect my decision to go there.
    latenia As someone who works in the tourism industry, I can tell you that Temple Bar is by some margin the number 1 tourist destination in Dublin. 90% of people come here to get sh1t-faced, not to look at the Book of Kells.

Thats bull,millions of people visit Ireland every year, most are not english
    yobs and yobbets out to get pissed.Most of the tourists I meet,and I meet them most days,are here to see the sights and meet the people,because books like lonely planet have told them we're a friendly old bunch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Tell ya the truth, I don't know what tourists see in Dublin...it certainly ain't pretty and apart from mass booze-ups theres not alot of anything else happenin!! The tourist board have got away with floggin "trad music and friendly pubs" for too long!!!:o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lonely planet hit the nail on the head with that one. Temple ****ing bar? Dublin is a scum infested ming hole that takes two days to drive across. Why would anyone send a poor tourist to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Dublin is a scum infested ming hole

In fairness, the last two posts are uneducated generalisations. Its a fantastic city for tourists. They do stuff, they go out on Dublin Bay, they walk in the Dublin mountains, they go to Kilmainham Gaol and the various museums and to see a bit of our culture and history, they visit the gallerys and restaurants.

I suggest the last two poster do that and enjoy their capital.

Temple bar can be really enjoyable if you go out and leave early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

...scum infested ming hole..

Don't hold back now, say what you're thinking!

I live in Dublin because I love it. I prefer it out of any city I've been to, and that's a lot. There may be scum in Dublin, but there's scum in every city in the world.

BOT, The Lonely Planet is read by a hell of a lot of people before they visit a place. It's not doing us any favours, but in fairness.. Temple Bar - I pass through it, I never stop there. Too many hens/stags, and yes you do get a lot of locals hamming it up as much as the tourists. I don't see the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I'm quite happy that temple bar is the drinking and pissing centre in Dublin, keeps them all together and away from the real Dublin.

Advertisement