Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small problem

Options
  • 22-01-2008 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

folks

I left a plant on the new table for about a week... this has resulted in a soil/dirty ring being formed on the table....and its ground in i am afraid

I took at it with a little brillo pad type thing but that seems to have taken a layer off the table to it looks like its been slighty sanded...

my wee woman is going ape on me....

My question is... is it possibel to lightly sand the ring away... and then get a lacquer or stain to match the table colour and paint it.... what do you call this paint and will the table look like new when its done... as its only about 3 weeks old :)

thanks paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

A picture would answer a lot of questions here if you could post one. Its very hard to suggest a remedy without identifying the surface finish on the table. From what you describe a ground in dirty ring would suggest that the finish was soft, which is indeed strange. If it was moisture from the plant base that softened the finish and allowed the ingress of dirt, it would suggest that the finish is french polish. Is it an antique table, as modern tables tend to have harder varnished or lacquer finishes. How large is the table, if its only a plant table a complete re finish of the top is not a big job.

Definitely a picture would be helpful in getting the best solution from the experts here.It is repairable so dont panic.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

kadman

thanks will get a pic and post them up here its a new kitchen table.. will write more when i post pics

thanks paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

kad man and co...

sorry for the delay heres a few pics of the table any and all informed advice is greatly appreciated in helping out there

many thanks

paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Not sure how you would fix that without sanding the whole table and refinishing it. Usually tables out of the factory would be lacquered. personally I'd give the table a light sanding and use a tang oil or countertop oil. A light sanding between coats would bring it up nice. For future reference, a damp cloth dipped in ciggy ash, rubbing with the grain will remove marks like you had and marks from hot cups etc.

Advertisement