Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House training a pub (again)

• 22-01-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Having a problem with my 6 month old Caviller Pup. Thought we had him house trained but in the last few weeks he has started to go on the kitchen floor during the night. He is fine during the day he will go to the door and look to go out. But at night time he goes sometimes 2/3 times in various spots in the kitchen.
    He gets a walk last thing at night, and his let out again in the garden just before bed, but even if he goes while on the walk he will still go during the night. Feeding him 3 times a day, Hills dry feed we got from the vet, not overfed just about a ¼ of a small bowl, wondering if that’s to much?, He has no problem with his bowels as he goes 6/7 times a day in the garden or when out for a walk.
    He knows he has done wrong as he won’t get out of his bed in the morning and will peek out looking at you. I just ignore him and don’t make a fuss at the moment .He was great until the last few weeks no problem at night just go first thing in the morning when let out.
    Otherwise he a great little fellow with no other problems loves to play and go for walks normal stuff. Could this be just a phase he going through, anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hiya, I found crate training fantastic for solving this problem. Firstly be sure there isn't something wrong with him that is making him go more often. If his routine during the day is the same, it probably means he goes because he couldn't be bothered waiting. If he is in a crate he will happily wait until the morning, as he wont want to go too close to his bed.

If you havent already crate trained him, you can start easily enough. The best way I've found is to put his bed into the crate and allow him in and out - don't close the crate until he is comfortable in it, it should become his "space", feed him in there with the door open, have his water in there etc. After a while you can feed him in there and close the gate while he is eating, then open it when he is finished. If he is comfortable enough it shouldn't be a problem. Take it slowly with him and never use the crate as punishment. It should be somewhere safe for him to go. Dont pull him out of the crate unless you really have to and dont interact too much with him while he is in it (I ignore mine totally). That way it is somewhere for him to go when he just wants to get away from it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

sorry to hi-jack the thread, im having the same problem with my dog at the moment. where would I get a crate, as i have never seen them anywhere but hear they are great. would you know anywhere in the wicklow/ south dublin area?

I got mine in argos. €50 for a medium one. They're great. Really gives the dog somewhere safe just for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

Hiya, I found crate training fantastic for solving this problem. Firstly be sure there isn't something wrong with him that is making him go more often. If his routine during the day is the same, it probably means he goes because he couldn't be bothered waiting. If he is in a crate he will happily wait until the morning, as he wont want to go too close to his bed.

If you havent already crate trained him, you can start easily enough. The best way I've found is to put his bed into the crate and allow him in and out - don't close the crate until he is comfortable in it, it should become his "space", feed him in there with the door open, have his water in there etc. After a while you can feed him in there and close the gate while he is eating, then open it when he is finished. If he is comfortable enough it shouldn't be a problem. Take it slowly with him and never use the crate as punishment. It should be somewhere safe for him to go. Dont pull him out of the crate unless you really have to and dont interact too much with him while he is in it (I ignore mine totally). That way it is somewhere for him to go when he just wants to get away from it all.

Thanks helena.ryan might give that a try. can,t understand why he only just started this as he was very good up to a few weeks ago. he does seem pooh a lot for a small dog can be upto 6/7 times maybe more a day. might try the vet if the crate idea does not work.

Mobby, if the frequency of it has increased or if it's diarrhea I think you should have him checked by the vet before trying to crate train him. Just to rule out infections or a sick stomach etc. It would be very distressing for him to be locked away overnight if he cant help going. Although it wouldn't hurt to have a crate there anyway so he can start getting used to it. Just dont lock him in until you get an all clear from the vet.

A while back I would have given out to anyone who'd dare suggest putting on of MY pets into a crate :) but I had no choice but to get one recently and it's amazing how much they love it! It makes travel easier on them too as they just sleep. And if you are visiting relatives and bringing your dog, or if you have a full house, the crate is a safe place for them to observe while feeling totally secure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement