Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked Drains and Pipes in Rented Accommodation!

Options
  • 22-01-2008 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I live in a rented accomodation on the Northside of the City since Sept 06. The house is over 100 years old but is in fairly good condidtion. The only problem is the pipes and drainage!!

In spring of last year our landlord got someone in to drain the pipes which wash away all the sewage etc for the bathroom. These pipes run under a small dinning room and if it blocks an awful rancid smell finds it way through the floor boards. When the pipes were cleared they found it was blocked by a few babywipes and the like. The landlord got a bit ratty with us and since then we haven't put anything but t-roll down there.

Its eights months later and the dinning room stinks again!! We signed a new lease in Sept 07 with the following clause: "....and keep the Landlord effectually indemnified against all claims in respect thereof and to pay for any damage done to any drain sewer or gully trap caused by negligence of the Tenant his guest, servants or agents" As I said above we (there are 2 girls and 2 guys in the house) have been very careful not to out anything that will not disolve down the loo for the past 8 month and when we first moved into the house in Sept 06 the landlord told me that some work may need to be done on the pipes as they are very old and can get blocked very easily. Also now the drain for the washing machice and kitchen sick at the back of the house is blocked and it causing a flood in the back yard!!...

My question is: Is it the responsibilty of our landlord to sort these blockages/ smells out? Personally I have never heard of tenant having to get the pipes drained every 6-8 months! Help please, the smell is turning my face green! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any chance you can use paragraphs?

Sorry if that’s unhelpful, I tried to read it and gave up :)

Advertisement