Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension lead for white goods

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    I have several white goods in my utility room - washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and fridge/freezer - plus a couple of smaller items like a microwave and dustbuster. However, I only have one double socket so at the moment I'm using an extension lead to power all 4 large units. Every so often the fuse in the extension lead will blow so I'm wondering if the load is too much? I make sure they don't all run together but it still happens sometimes.

Until I get the room rewired, what can I do? is there such a thing as a higher capacity extension lead? Or should I use 2 separate extension leads and split the load?

Thanks,
    bobjim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The extension lead is only as strong as its weakest point, that being the 13A fuse.
    Have a look at the rear of each device and locate the ID plate with the rated wattage.
    You should seek to keep the combined wattage on each extension lead at 2300W (10A) or about that.
    To calculate Amps from Watts, divide the watts by the voltage (230).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

bobjim wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have several white goods in my utility room - washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and fridge/freezer - plus a couple of smaller items like a microwave and dustbuster. However, I only have one double socket so at the moment I'm using an extension lead to power all 4 large units. Every so often the fuse in the extension lead will blow so I'm wondering if the load is too much? I make sure they don't all run together but it still happens sometimes.

Until I get the room rewired, what can I do? is there such a thing as a higher capacity extension lead? Or should I use 2 separate extension leads and split the load?

Thanks,
    bobjim

Definitely sounds like your overloading your extension lead.... remember your 13A fuse needs 13A for 60 mins or so to blow, so it could be that sometimes your taking 15A or more off the extension lead.

The first thing i would do is check which MCB is feeding the double socket in the utility room:-
    1) If its a 30A MCB you should have a ring circuit, hence your 2 extension lead approach would work, but probably not the wisest. As the poster above said check the ratings of each appliance and try split the load. The other option is since you have a ring circuit it should be fairly safe to pop another double socket on it, provided the rest of the ring isn't loaded up too much.

2) if its a 20A MCB, you just have a radial circuit, i would not recommend overloading this too much.

In either cases what you need to do is check which circuit the utility room is, check its MCB, then check what other loads are on that circuit. Work out rough currents for each of the devices plug into that circuit and calculate how much is being drawn in total. Based on that info we'll be able to give you some advice on what to do....

Aside:- this is one of the problems with the wiring regs in Ireland, there's no specifications on how many sockets you need in a room.... in other countries you need to have a socket every x number of feet!

Aside2:- When ever i'm doing a kitchen i normally run 2 separate circuits to it, as this is usually the room in the house with the biggest electrical loads. Typically what i do is put a couple of the sockets in the kitchen on the same circuit as the downstairs of the house.

Advertisement