Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom of the opera

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Anyone know of any theatre groups doing this ? Something i've always wanted to get involved in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The rights will never be made available while the professional show is running, that's how these things work 99% of the time - especially with ALW shows. So don't hold your breath, I don't know if they'll ever release them in our lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Peterdmc

wow i didnt know that. That most definatly sucks. Well if anyone wants to break the rules give me a call ;)

And risk the lawyers of ALW? They'd be very foolish!!

I know of a case in the South East where the local group were putting on an ALW show. Lloyd Webber was visiting the area, saw the ads (or maybe got an invite?) and got straight on to the publishers to make sure they had all the legal rights sorted out. Luckily everything was above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've heard that yourth groups with everyone under 19 (I think) don't need rights for anything.

Nope, not the case. There are youth rights available for certain shows, and schools versions of some shows running professionally - Les Mis being a classic example.

Even if rights weren't an issue - the costs and logistics of staging Phantom mean it's beyond the reaches of most groups with more basic shows already costing €30,000 - 100,000 for a week :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Peterdmc

Stop ruining my dream damn you haha i'll just have to go to london and try out for the show...some chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

We did Jesus Christ Superstar about a year ago, and one of the agreements was that on each night of the show two seats had to be reserved for Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice in case they decided to come see the show.
    There I was checking the seats EVERY night :D
    It really does have to be above board.
    Phantom's a brill show though, would be nice to do it sometime.

Advertisement