Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is it necessary to have all these media players installed

• 22-01-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

is it necessary to have windows media player, real player, quicktime and div x players installed on my pc. is there a player that covers all these formats.

i had installed miro but it was using too much memory so i removed it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

YOu will need the divx web player, but the rest you can dump and use vlc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

whats vlc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I find VLC very good for video, but pretty useless as a music manager... I personally use Winamp, but WMP is quite good too...

ok if i use vlc, winamp or wmp should i take my music files and video from shareaza and play it in them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Quicktime and Realplayer alternative will do the rob once you install the appropriate codecs, there less resource intensive and take up less space.

google em
    other then that VLC will play pretty much anything

is that real player or real player alternative.

which player uses the least memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

itunes and vlc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

VLC for vids
    Foobar for music

Both are light on resources and less bloated that other media players

is there a p2p program that has a decent media player that could be used instead of the players mentioned in previous posts.

any opinions on shareazas player?

i want to try and de-clutter my pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Don't ask about p2p stuff here.

Go with vlc.

thanks to all who replied, ive installed vlc. it definitely starts quicker than wmp and seems grand

what resolution should my settings be set to in order to see any media player clearly when the players screen is enlarged to max size?

whenever i set any media players screen to max size the pic is blurred. would like to have a large crisp picture if possible. thanks again

also do i have to keep divx now that im using vlc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You can also re-skin VLC player to look exactly like Windows Media Player.

While VLC is great for playing almost everything? I've never liked the look of it so I skinned it to look like WMP11

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/make-vlc-player-look-like-windows-media-player-11/ :D

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i use this media player:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

plays just about any format and the quicktime and real player alternatives work with it. never gives me a moments hassle. i found that vlc gave me a load of tweaking options i'd never need and was missing some that i use all the time. and the way the scroll bar moves a bit when you click the bar, rather than going to the place you clicked really annoyed me

there are probably ways of fixing the things that annoyed me but i never really gave it a chance because i only ever used it on the rare occasions that the normal player failed to play a file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nice job on the wmp skin for VLC. Didn't think of looking before. Now, hopefully, flicking through movies will be a hell of a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

HavoK wrote: »
    Nice job on the wmp skin for VLC.
    +1

Gonna give that a shot too when I get home.

HavoK wrote: »
    Nice job on the wmp skin for VLC. Didn't think of looking before. Now, hopefully, flicking through movies will be a hell of a lot easier.

Yep, it is nice.

There's a range of different skins available here for VLC.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php

There's another WMP11 lookalike by "The Zombie" about halfway down the page.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Quick Guide To Changing VLC Skin.

Start
    All Programs
    VideoLAN
    Quick Settings
    Interface
    Set Main Interface to Skinnable.
    Right click on the title bar area of VLC,and choose Select skin.
    Open skin and choose the skin file that you have downloaded.
    Enjoy!

-

Tried out the skin, nice. :)

Me thinks it's an improvement anyway :D

vlcorwmp11playerio9.jpg

-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep, it is nice.

There's a range of different skins available here for VLC.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php

There's another WMP11 lookalike by "The Zombie" about halfway down the page.

-

I prefere the standard skin ove any of the add-on ones. I think they all look a bit amature, like winamp skins from a few years ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've always used Media Player Classic, with the k-lite codecs. It plays almost everything. VLC does play more, but i've never like the interface. Might try the skin later though.
    conor2007 wrote: »
    itunes
    Blasphemy!! Winamp is (imo) the best for music though.

why after installing vlc do my music files show the vlc icon?

does it mean when i play them they will have vlc sound quality

maradona10 wrote: »
    why after installing vlc do my music files show the vlc icon?

does it mean when i play them they will have vlc sound quality

It means that all your music has been set to use VLC by defauly.

You can still change that if you ever want to though.

-

How do i change it? i noticed the sound quality for music files isnt the same when vlc is used

Right click one of your files & choose open with>Choose Program

Highlight the program you wish to be the default for that type of file & make sure you put a TIC mark in the box that says

"Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

Click OK

-

thanks Gadgetman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Kiith wrote: »
    Winamp is (imo) the best for music though.

Seconded.

Ya, i'd have to agree.
    For video vlc all the way.
    For sound quality and management features, winamp for music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 FitzerP

Hi Folks,

Anyone know which media player is good for manipulating the screen for a video file such a a *.avi file.

I'd like to try to remove some of the borders you find at the top and bottom and also stretch an image from 4:3 ratio to a
    widescreen.

I use Windows Media Player v11 but I don't think that it can do much other than play the file.

Cheers in advance!

*cough* vlc

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Boarder Man

I use VLC, but one problem it has always seemed to have is that you can't use the play progress bar to skip through videos/music. As soon as you use it it just crashes the file and you have to start playback all over again.

Can this be fixed?

what screen resolution is best for playing videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I use VLC, but one problem it has always seemed to have is that you can't use the play progress bar to skip through videos/music. As soon as you use it it just crashes the file and you have to start playback all over again.

Can this be fixed?

Sounds like you have a dodgy build. Are you using the most up to date version?

Also, for the problem of clicking on the progress bar but the video not jumping to that point, I think the only way around it is to drag the slider instead of clicking it.

I seriously doubt Winamp sounds any different to VLC when playing music files, unless you are using equalisers with Winamp.

I've found VLC doesn't handle the .mkv container all that well. For that I use Zoomplayer with the CCCP codec pack.

Foobar 2k for music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

maradona10 wrote: »
    what screen resolution is best for playing videos

It depends on the resolution the video is encoded at. VLC when not maximised will play the video in it's native resolution, if the video is of particularly low quality watching it fullscreen will look pretty bad regardless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement