Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused

• 22-01-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not without my daughter (1991) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nems

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Not without my daughter is an awful example of a Muslim family. The film supported the unfair stereotype that all Muslim men are oppressive etc etc. And although it is unfortunately true that there are oppressive Muslim men, it has nothing to do with Islam and it's fair to say that there are as many (if not more) oppressive non-Muslim men.

I once read on a forum (might have been this one, not sure) in a discussion about an inter-faith relationship someone saying something like "If you want to know what it's like to be married to a Muslim man, see Not without my daugther". It was good to see that that post was swiftly replied to with "That's not fair. You can't make judgements on a faith based upon a film" which was posted by another non-Muslim.

//Edit
    Also, if it's okay with you nems, would you mind leaving your original post in tact please? You can reply in a thread to say thanks but people may still want to see your original post. If you don't actually want others to see your original post then that's fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

nems wrote: »
    Thanks for that!

I find it very difficult to advise people on this topic as everyone comes with their own idea of whats best. Plus IMO people ignore advice when its matters of the heart :D

In my experience inter-faith relationships don't work and I would advise against them.

Well thats worse case, at best they are alot of work. EVERY woman I have known to get involved with a muslim man thought that their man was "different" to all other muslim men they met. Less strict on religious grounds etc. Im sure your boyfriend is different as well.
    There is A LOT of pressure for a muslim man to be married to a muslim wife. Do not think it would be easy for you to not to be muslim, it would not.

But, my advise would be to meet his family, spend time in his country. Get to really know him and talk about what you both want. If you have good communication and honesty it makes the road easier.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

nems wrote: »
    Thank you.

I am not sure If I am missing something here but this "Thank you" is all what I can read in nems post!!!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

mmalaka wrote: »
    I am not sure If I am missing something here but this "Thank you" is all what I can read in nems post!!!!:confused:

It did have a question yesterday :confused:

Advertisement