Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composting bins

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

I know you can get the static ones from local County Council but anyone know where you can get the ones that contents can be turned in? I've read that they are much more efficient. Suggestions and comments welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you mean this http://www.ecoshop.ie/proddetail.asp?prod=1106051721 ? There's a smaller model too, but they're both terribly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I was looking at those recently myself and I cannot understand how they are so expensive. It is basically a drum made from plastic coated aluminium, no motors or anything and it works out 700 euro!! If you google them in the UK they work out about 200 euro cheaper, still expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

have a look here.

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/order_bin.html

Fingal coco supposedly supplies rotating bins for €64.

Even if you don't live there, give them a call and see what they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

a link on how to make your own rotating composter.
    http://www.solidwastedistrict.com/projects/bin_barrel.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Thanks everyone. Keep them suggestions coming because the price of some of them I totally agree is ridiculous. Thanks beldin for instructions, don't know if we'll go down that route though. Thanks a mill Whosedaddy's suggestion for final coco is good. Can always call to Coolmine and give it a shot. I've a no for a crowd in NI as well will give that a call and post back.

• Advertisement

175 stg from NI so expensive too!! Will def try Final co co now and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

the price of some of them I totally agree is ridiculous.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why?
    The one I linked to is €665 for what is essentially a giant tombola drum with a styrofoam lining. To me that's expensive, to you it might not, I don't know.

Why?
    Why, because it is for what they are!!!!!

I know that you are in the gardening business Sonnenblumen but for ordinary
    domestic household use that would buy a hell of a lot of compost for almost 700euro...ok I know that making your own is much greener but I like others could not justify that kind of outlay...there are lots of other things in the garden that we could spend it on!

Totally agree that it is expensive Alun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Alun wrote: »
    The one I linked to is €665 for what is essentially a giant tombola drum with a styrofoam lining. To me that's expensive, to you it might not, I don't know.

Would you try and make one and do a cost analysis at end. I'm not saying what is good, bad or indifferent cost wise, but to merely say something is cheap or a rip off without any critical comment/assessment ?? Well what's the point?

There are some very inexpensive composters on the market, cheap and nasty types available for free/almost free from local CCs but they are crap, because of poor capacity, access is difficult and topple very easily. They are also as ugly as bins. Composters do not have to be ugly.

At the other end there are mechanical/rotary composters, well made, esy to use and very effective at making compost. Most people struggle with composting. Made from quality materials and good capacity it is not too difficult as to why costs might be much higher. But that doesn't make it wrong it simply doesn't suit your budget or opinion on the value of successful but easy composting etc.

The value is beyond price.

• Advertisement

700 euros simply does not suit our budget right now. I guess on of the cheap and cheerful ones will have to do us for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Did you ring Fignal co co?
    WIll they sell to you even when outside their council area?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anyone know if the rotating ones from Fingal would be of the same quality as the one linked to from the Eco Shop? 10 times cheaper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

No way would I spend that amount of money on a rotating composter, a few old pallets made into a box shape (if you have the space), a few old sacks to line the base, an old carpet piece to cover the compost, a good mix of green / brown material and a once-a-week forking to aerate will do a decent job too.

My brother-in-law has designed his own bin and reckons that in this country, you really need insulated walls for your bin to keep the temperatures up for good composting. Might give that a go sometime.

Advertisement