Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Percentage

Options
  • 22-01-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Can any one explain how this works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tickets.ie

If you mean odds, then it's...

Odds: A/B
    Percentage: B/(A + B) * 100%

e.g. 2/1 implies a percentage of 1(2 + 1) * 100% = 1/3 * 100% or 33.33%

If you mean what percentage of your pot should you bet - then I vaguely remember coming across a statistics and probability paper in college which mentioned a term called the 'Kelly Criteria' (I think) which is a statistical means to allocate a bet given associated odds of the bet and the pot size. (The odds may need to be adjusted for over-round, which is supposed to be the 'bookies' profit.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Devil's Fuel

no its the total betting percentage on the prices of all the horses together in the field of a race! for example, the betting percentage is 120% in the 2.30 race at....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

no its the total betting percentage on the prices of all the horses together in the field of a race! for example, the betting percentage is 120% in the 2.30 race at....

You translate all the prices to a % and add them up, this will give you the total percentage book.

So if a 5 horse race is 2/1, 3/1, 7/2, 4/1, 9/1
    then this is 33% + 25% + 22.22% + 20% + 10% = 110.22%.

Tickets.ie reply shows you how to translate a price to a %, odds X/Y expressed as a % would be Y/(X+Y).

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Dev,
    If your interested in reading an article on this which was written in the Irish Field PM me your email and i will forward it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Basically, once you've calculated the percentages (as shown above) you get an idea of how 'fair' the book is... the further above 100%, the more overround the bookie has built in (to try and guarantee a profit), whereas a Dutch book (where the percentages add up to less than 100%) gives you the opportunity to guarantee a profit by simultaneously betting on all possible outcomes in the right proportions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A Dutch book???

Surelly you don't believe in this old wives tale!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Benazir Bhutto

WH BONNEY wrote: »
    Dev,
    If your interested in reading an article on this which was written in the Irish Field PM me your email and i will forward it to you.

Alright , any chance of forwarding me that email too ?
    My email is : jesus_its_ron@hotmail.com

Many thanks

Advertisement