Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please advise - Mondeo Value 1997

Options
  • 22-01-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Guys,

I am thinking of selling my Mondeo privately.

Its a 1997 2.0L Petrol 4 door Ghia model

Its got 145K miles on the clock

NCT to 08/08 & the road tax is just up last month.

I have looked around the net & cannot find any similar models

Anyone advise as to how much I should be asking for private sale?

Many thanks

Tanka006

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

tanka006 wrote: »
    Guys,

Many thanks

Tanka006

My guess would be that you'd be lucky to get anything over 1000 for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Provided it is actually fundamentally sound, €1000? Ask for €1200. If it's in really exceptional condition, you could get maybe €1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cantdecide wrote: »
    Provided it is actually fundamentally sound, €1000? Ask for €1200. If it's in really exceptional condition, you could get maybe €1300.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Guys

Thanks. Its in reasonable condition - there is a little rust around the top of the windscreen area.

Mechanically the car is great - no problems.

I had been thinking of asking 1,250 - so based on what you have said will go for that & see what happens.

Many thanks again

Tanka006

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Guys,

Many thanks

Tanka006
    Dont go near a garage to trade it anyway as you will get zero for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

Guys

Thanks. Its in reasonable condition - there is a little rust around the top of the windscreen area.

Mechanically the car is great - no problems.

I had been thinking of asking 1,250 - so based on what you have said will go for that & see what happens.

Many thanks again

Tanka006

Post up some pics of the car, side, front, interior and under bonnet, would love to see a 145k Mondeo's condition, as i have seen some 90-110 cars and they were pretty much trashed looking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

My '96 Mondeo is still going strong @ 142k although it is a diesel.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a 2.0 Mondeo isn't worth €1,000. 300-400 more likely. who wants to spend €600 a year taxing a 10 yr old Mondeo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

somebody who wants a cheap car but doesn't want to use a 1.6 or less on a motorway with lots of mileage?

Good luck with getting €1250 out of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭aston

couple of hundred quid.........max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

r0nn13 wrote: »
    Post up some pics of the car, side, front, interior and under bonnet, would love to see a 145k Mondeo's condition, as i have seen some 90-110 cars and they were pretty much trashed looking...

My 97' mondeo 1.8 petrol had 127,00miles on it and it was perfect.
    I sold my 03 1.8 petrol with 80,000 miles and it barely felt run in.
    My friends company had a 01 1.8 petrol as a pool car and it had over 200,000 when I last saw it. In fact if you look around there are probably more old mondeos around than other cars of a similar size (carina e excepted).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

r0nn13 wrote: »

That has more to do with the drivers than the cars! Try putting a BMW into a field of sheep, give it a few slaps of a Massey Ferguson, ram in through a few decent sized potholes, and avoid servicing it and it will look as bad or worse!

For the record I have a Focus with 85k (similar car to the Mk2 mondeo), and it is like new, both to drive and to look at.

Also have a 1995 mondeo with 200k that looks immaculate inside and out. We spent 2k on it last year both on replacing the suspensions and bushings all around, doing the belts, replacing the bumpers, headlamps and doing other bits of work. First time it ever had anything other than regular oil changes and the cambelt done though!

There's nothing wrong with Mondeos, but what would you expect to sell a high spec 1.6 model for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with Mondeos, but what would you expect to sell a high spec 1.6 model for?

A 1997 one?

You will always get €1500 for a spotless car I think. You can drop the leading 1 if it needs any work though, no matter how slight. Drop the leading one if the milage is anyway high. I reckon my car is worth about €200!

I've tried to sell enough slightly-bigger-engine-than-the-minimum-possible cars to be skeptical about getting 1.6 money for a 2.0

Guys,

Have advertised it on CBG & eBay without success.....!

On eBay got one bidder who went to approx. 1,100 but my reserve was too high!!!

Anyway please help me with the add - what do I need to include?

It's at:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Ford-Mondeo-2-0-Ghia-16V-1997_W0QQitemZ130211213308QQihZ003QQcategoryZ9844QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have never posted a link before - hope this works.....

Please all comments welcome - what do I say in addition to whats there?

Many thanks Guys

Tanka

how about a "buy it now" price?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote: »
    Also have a 1995 mondeo with 200k that looks immaculate inside and out. We spent 2k on it last year

That's a significant point. The car might only be "worth" a few hundred come selling time, but to the owner who knows the car will do another 100k miles troublefree it is worth spending thousands

In other words, it is very hard to put a "what is it worth" value on an old low end car.

You might get a Mondeo expert / fan / happy owner (or whatever) who recognises the excellent condition the car is in. He might be willing to pay €1,500

Or you might just get someone looking for a "company car", who never taxed or insured a car in his life
    On eBay got one bidder who went to approx. 1,100 but my reserve was too high!!!

I can't believe you put your reserve higher than that! Can you not contact the buyer and tell him his last offer is accepted anyway? (I'm no eBay expert, I don't know if this conflicts with their rules)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Beautiful car. Nothing wrong with the ad(other than the fact that it's a saloon rather than a "sedan", the windows and seats are electric rather than "power" and it has central locking as opposed to "power locks"). Easily the best kept Mk2 Mondeo I've seen in quite some time. I don't like the idea of buying at an auction though. I'd like to be able to hear the engine(when it's cold, showing someone a warm engine could be hiding a multitude of sins) and drive the car before I buy it, and in an auction I'm duly obliged to buy from you unless there is something completely misleading about the ad.

Why no mention of service history in the ad either? No mention means that there's none to me.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    it's a saloon rather than a "sedan"

Saloon = sedan ;)

Guys,

Many thanks for the pointers - I will try to update the add.....

Looks like I may have 3 seperate Guys bidding now!

I Did contact the Guy through second chance offer - but he had already bought another car!

Thanks again!

Tanka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Guys,

Many thanks for the pointers - I will try to update the add.....

Looks like I may have 3 seperate Guys bidding now!

I Did contact the Guy through second chance offer - but he had already bought another car!

Thanks again!

Tanka
    It's a pity yer mon is gone. I am shocked that he was willing to pay that much for it.

Nothing against Mondeos. They are a fine car. I had a 96 myself that I drove for 100k. Just, as someone else said, big engined old cars are not that easy to sell.

Slightly off topic, but how are you finding eBay for selling. I have used it to buy a few times in the UK. I tried to sell a few cars in Ireland with it about 2 years ago and I got no-where. There weren't enough people on it.

I see you have a few bids up already. It must have improved since I tried it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thought of putting it through the nct itd be a lot more attractive with nct to 2010 you can test a few months in advance. as it is now youve got to do the nct in 8 weeks time.

Ah, you didn't state here that it only had 1 owner from new. That, if accompanied by a full history, makes the car a lot more valuable!

I'd put a reserve of €1k on it and be happy if it sold. Any money over a grand and you should be very happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'd pay that price for one of them, PROVIDED it had 6 months (min) tax and 18 months (min) NCT.

For no tax, and 4 months NCT left, I'd pay 3 to 400 only.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

Wait until the end of May, then NCT it for 2 years, tax it for 3 months and readvertise. You may get more takers then

I agree with you, ianobrien
    ianobrien wrote: »
    Wait until the end of May, then NCT it for 2 years, tax it for 3 months and readvertise. You may get more takers then

Good advice. If the OP isn't desparate for cash right now, do that and sell for over a grand

Advertisement