Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers

Options
  • 22-01-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

Rather than hijack the Valentines' day thread I figured I'd start and new one and make it a poll on the topic:
    A number of years ago one of the girls I worked with received flowers at work from her partner, all the other women were horrified and said that they'd hate to get flowers at work. Was it genuine horror or sour grapes? Since February 14th is on the horizon perhaps gathering more feedback from the potentially thrilled/horrified parties might aid us males (subtle hints do not work!!!;)) in advoiding upsetting the ladies in our lives with a gesture intended to show our appreciation of them.

So how would you feel if someone sent you flowers at work??

If your partner sent you flowers at work: 40 votes

Aww bless! *start dialing his number to thank him*
    0%
    *gasp!* Can't believe embarass me like that!
    75%
    UnknownChinafootwilliambNevynb3t4aviendhaHungryJoeylollicharbacee_jay[Deleted User]OrleeLivingDeadGirlSusannahmiaJulesMLEThe QueenfrizzefrecklesPyjamaramaGinny 30 votes
    Oh, flowers... oh well best find somewhere to put them...
    25%
    Nightwish*Roisin*Blush_01AardmissmattyLux23Crumble FrooSarahSassyPigletloverSMM 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The only time I ever got flowers was when I left a job that I'd been in for 9 months, I was on reception. It was a lovely surprise I couldn't believe it - and that was only a year or so ago. I've never recieved flowers other than that and no I'd never be horrified to get them in work or anywhere! lol.

I think it's a nice gesture.
    A friend however got balloons n stuff sent to HIM in his workplace... I'm not sure how happy he was about that....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

i'd be delighted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'd be delighted too, I think I've gotten flowers a grand total of about 8 times in 11 years of being in relationships.
    I don't believe in getting flowers aalllll the time, but I think every now and then is nice, and I've never got then in work so it would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

My OH hates flowers cos he thinks they're an easy way out/no effort etc but I'd still think it was sweet if he got some for me, maybe on a day that wasn't valentines though so it wasn't just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've sent flowers to work places and colleges in the past.

The girl who sent them to in college was a bit embarrassed as she had to sit in class with them, but I think that she liked the fact that she was making other girls jealous more.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I did have a bad flower moment before though, I got lovely ones on valentines day and rang the bloke I'd been seeing to thank him, turned out it was the ex that sent them...:eek:

Yep... I've had a tendency to put rather convoluted messages on the cards in the past which have led to total confusion as to who they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I think every woman is different in regards to this one, and some workplaces seem to have a culture of a florists worth of flowers arriving - while others would have none.

And, in case some ppl thought size was an issue that only men worried about, i was working in an office one year where some of the women who got flowers were openly competing 'yeah, well, my bouquet is bigger than yours!'. :confused:

I suppose it's down to the individual relationship - some women like the generic, traditional gestures, others (i'm in this camp) like the unexpected, thoughtful surprises at other times of the year.

And - some people like to keep their personal life seperate from the workplace .

Wow, reading back, this is a real sitting on the fence post, isn't it? OP, good luck and let us know what you decide to do in the end, and her reaction!

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I did have a bad flower moment before though, I got lovely ones on valentines day and rang the bloke I'd been seeing to thank him, turned out it was the ex that sent them...:eek:

:D I got one of those phone calls one year! He (the then bf) rang to thank me for the flowers, then had to start frantically back pedalling when i said "what flowers?".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

cuckoo wrote: »
    Wow, reading back, this is a real sitting on the fence post, isn't it? OP, good luck and let us know what you decide to do in the end, and her reaction!
    Just means you're well balenced to sit so perfectly on the fence. ;)

The question isn't relevent to me, no-one to send flowers to :(, just curiousity from the observation (did find it rather surprising at the time that they'd say they'd be horrified as I would've thought they like the surprise and the combination of getting flowers and showing others that they got flowers. Kind of like the whole "how many cards did you get?" business that tends to go on in the teens) and possible aid in deciding to the lads who do have someone special to consider buying flowers for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

I really don't see the point in sending flowers on Valentines day - a friend of mine sometimes works in a flower shop around Valentines and he'd never ever recommend anyone to buy flowers around then. What they put in bouquets is apparently crap and then there's the price.. For some flowers they might buy them at €2 and they sell them at something like €11! Such a waste of money. I'd much prefer if someone cooked me dinner or something or sent a nice email on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

id be a bit mortified to get a bunch of flowers in work. my office is just men too so might be a bit weirder. not something i have to worry about anyway, my bf wouldnt even THINK of doing something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Aww I would love flowers to be sent to me at work, that is if I was working at the moment!

I love flowers being given or sent to me. I'll always remember how cute my bf was last year when I was in college & fainting for no reason. I took the day off college and had gone out with my mum to the Dr etc and came home to find a gorgeous bunch of flowers for me!

I guess I'm just a flower person, would LOVE flowers more often though!! Even one he picked in a garden would do me fine!!

That's one thing though, I never expect flowers to be bought for me or sent to me around Valentines Day, they're ridiculously priced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Id hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I like flowers, but hate valentines day and roses. I won't even acknowledge it. I wouldn't like flowers to be sent to me either. Pain in the hole carrying them about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My then boyfriend sent flowers to me in work on my 20th birthday and I was mortified. Not really a fan of flowers - just 1 will do. I would rather the money be spent on dinner/gig/night away.

WindSock wrote: »
    I like flowers, but hate valentines day and roses. I won't even acknowledge it. I wouldn't like flowers to be sent to me either. Pain in the hole carrying them about.

Good point, flowers sent to the office would mean flowers that would have to be carried home - rush hour commuting on public transport is fun enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

farohar wrote: »
    Rather than hijack the Valentines' day thread I figured I'd start and new one and make it a poll on the topic:
    A number of years ago one of the girls I worked with received flowers at work from her partner, all the other women were horrified and said that they'd hate to get flowers at work. Was it genuine horror or sour grapes? Since February 14th is on the horizon perhaps gathering more feedback from the potentially thrilled/horrified parties might aid us males (subtle hints do not work!!!;)) in advoiding upsetting the ladies in our lives with a gesture intended to show our appreciation of them.

So how would you feel if someone sent you flowers at work??

Sounds like sour grapes imo. I would be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I have been given flowers once in our relationship :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'd be embarassed but would secretly love it. Yeah I think that's a lovely thing to do. In a show off kind of way but I'd be made up :)

• Advertisement

Jules wrote: »
    I have been given flowers once in our relationship :(

Ah yes... the life of a WoW Widow.

EDIT: haha.. just remembered... I gave your boyfrend a rose one night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Got flowers sent to work when we were going out a few months. I was chuffed...until I had to try and get the shaggin' things home on the bus :p

I think its a nice gesture and pretty much guaranteed to be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

OP - sounds like sour grapes to be honest. I'd hate to be sent flowers at work, but where I worked last one girl got flowers from her fiance twice when he knew she was stressed because of stuff and it cheered all of us up in the office. I still wouldn't like to get them myself though.

It something you can gauge when you are in a relationship. You should be able to tell if it is something that will work or not.

Certainly don't go and be one of those nutbars in PI who feel the need to ask strangers on the internet what their partner would think of something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

my better half knows better then to send me flowers on VD, he surprises me every now and then with a bunch which I like,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I love flowers and would be delighted to get some in work or anywhere.

I would prefer to not get them on valentines day itself as they are ridiculously overpriced for the day that's in it.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i would kill him if he sent flowers to my workplace. or college or whatever. yes, nice gesture, but if he knows me at all, it's that i HATE standing out, or benig noticed, and im really quite private in a lot of ways, despite my constant ramblings and stuff, and yep... nice gesture.. but he would be killed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wouldnt like getting flowers at work either. Its just not me.

I get flowers quite often from OH but only once on Valentines Day (2007), which was nice because I was having a really tough time around then, and I really appreciated them. We dont really celebrate Valentines day normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ive gotten roses a few times. my first ones were delivered to my house when i was 18 by my boyfriend. they were stunning. my next ones were pathetic. it was a rose plant from my much older o/h. the last two were stunning. my second last ones had white roses mixed into them and my last ones were the biggest bunch i have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

My bf is good with things like that and has often surprised with flowers when I'm feeling sick or having a horrible day...still haven't had any delivered to work/college, I reckon I'd be mortified but love it at the same time!!!

Advertisement