Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Kilkenny to Castlecomer

• 22-01-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I've posted this in Kilkenny County also - but as that board is so quiet I thought I'd try here too.

I'm thinking of moving from Kilkenny city to Castlecomer as it would be closer to work but I don't know anyone living there or from there, so I was wondering if anyone could share any impressions of whats it like to live in?

Are the pubs ok? Is it dead in the evenings or is there stuff going on like exercise classes etc? Is there anywhere to get a decent meal out? Is it a hassle getting taxi drivers to go there from Kilkenny on a weekend night?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Say Comer is fairly close knit kinda place. A few nice decent estates have sprung up in recent years and it is defo a good location central to KK, Carlow, Athy etc etc.
    One nice restaurant in the Square, the Limetree. There are big plans for a hotel in the town centre beside Glanbia but seems to be movin v slowly.
    I would say there are prob a few local taxi guys in the area that do the run in and out of KK at weekends no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thanks mfitzy.

I suppose what has been in my head is that one person I spoke to made a comment that it had a reputation of being a rough town years ago. No one else I spoke to seems to share that view though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I know a few people from comer and like anywhere it has a few rough families. It seems to be a bit of a mad town too, from the stories I hear!

Nightwish wrote: »
    It seems to be a bit of a mad town too, from the stories I hear!

??????

Hmmm - it is these kinds of comments that make me nervous about the whole idea! And no one ever elaborates! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Okay I've never lived in comer but I know a lot who do, alot of places have their bad reputations, but you should live their if you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

if ya want to get a feel for the place.... go for a few drinks on a mon or tues night and get talkin to the locals and another tip raed the kilkenny people court's appearance's might give ya some idea of how quite or not a place is :D
    i dont know anyone from up there but looks like any other sleepy village to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

BingoBongo wrote: »
    alot of places have their bad reputations

I agree. Everywhere has a reputation of some sort and unless the town has a population of ten there will always be fights/trouble/drugs/scumbags.... you get the picture :)

:)
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Can we get a poll, asking would you live in Castlecomer:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I always thought castlecomer looked really pretty and quite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'd sooner live in Castlecomer than Ballyragget....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

I'm from Castlecomer and live out there still, I work in Kilkenny and it takes me around 15 minutes in the morning with the new ring road. Comer is not a rough place at all, it's a quiet spot with a few good pubs, Dillons is a real GAA pub but the vaults is the best for music, shortalls and dillions are also good spots. There is good walking in the Demense and a few night classes like Pilates, yoga and fitness classes like that, it's the second biggest town in Kilkenny after Kilkenny city so I suppose we could do with a bit more going on but certainly it beats some parts of the county for sure!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

^^ your sig is pretty crass

Thanks Windy Bee, sounds grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

windy bee wrote: »
    I'm from Castlecomer and live out there still, I work in Kilkenny and it takes me around 15 minutes in the morning with the new ring road. Comer is not a rough place at all, it's a quiet spot with a few good pubs, Dillons is a real GAA pub but the vaults is the best for music, shortalls and dillions are also good spots. There is good walking in the Demense and a few night classes like Pilates, yoga and fitness classes like that, it's the second biggest town in Kilkenny after Kilkenny city so I suppose we could do with a bit more going on but certainly it beats some parts of the county for sure!

I agreewith you but i'd say Callan and Thomastown especially will overtake Comer in the next few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Your right there. Its a rough place. Church avenue is a rough estatein comer. Rougher than any place in KK city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Church avenue has a pretty formidable reputation. I presume the OP heard about the stabbing in Comer last Tuesday. It was a "domestic" afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

You can find out more at www.castlecomer.ie. There is a discussion board there too where you can ask any questions you have.

Advertisement