Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

on your bike!!!

• 22-01-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi, Becasue of the bad weather and because of where I live there isn't any lighting (keeper hill). I've decided to get on the exercise bike. It's better than doing nothing and I do a good 30 -45 min non-stop as in I keep the pedals going and pretty good resistance too. I don't fancy the thread mills.. It feels like I'm skipping. i think they are too easy and that I can go for ever. I'm running in the connemarathon. I was wondering what thoughts people might have about using the bike till the wearther clears and the evenings get a bit brighter...

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

baza1976 wrote:
    i think they are too easy and that I can go for ever.

I'm the opposite. I can barely manage 20 mins on a treadmill before I go mad, whereas outdoors I can go for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Cycling improves your climbing legs which is good for connemarathon.
    An easy cycle is not the same as an easy run though. Ratio of aerobic benefit is 1:3 aparently. If you are going hardish it may be 1:1.5 (compared to an easy run) so 45 min hardish=30 min easy run.
    This is a way to judge how long you should cycle for.

Long easy 3-4 hour cycles are great for endurance, they will take the sting out of hills toward the end of connemarathon. Very hard to do indoors though.

A downside of indoor training is as pointed out by Stark, that boredom can be a factor. Also running leg speed maybe reduced. For boredom maybe watch a cycling DVD, eg video of tour de france stage while training if possible.

To offset the leg speed problem make sure the pedalling cadence is very high.
    A low cadence is good for leg strenght for climbing but should be used only as frequently as a hill running session.

Keep up most of your running though and if you do quality sessions like tempo run etc. dont drop these.

You can also get a head torch for running on roads, trails, grass etc at night. Not as hazardous as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

thanks T runner and Stark.. At least I know it has some benifit.. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Am also training for Connemara but also cycling in and out to work. It's good to hear about it building endurance, but I also find cycling great for getting the tension out of the legs, particularly after the short runs mid-week which tend to be faster. So far I'm finding that the two work well together...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fernando1

I got one a couple of years ago. I got sick of training on it long ago. They're very handy things to have for after a long run. 10 minutes at a highish cadence in a low gear really lessens the after effects of the long run. You'll notice it in the legs the next day. I'd rather run in a blizzard first thing in the morning than do half an hour on the bike though. Boring as hell and for a fraction of the benefit of a run. Good to have if you're nursing a running injury also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement