Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from TCD for "speaking ill" of a pervert.

Options
  • 22-01-2008 3:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

For years TCD had to suffer the attentions of a dirty little man nicknamed Matt the Jap..he was NEVER anything to do with the college but used to hang around abusing and assualting staff and sexually harrassing female students.A lot o the students,knowing nothing about him seemed to hold him in some sort of esteem as a lovable rogue,a view the staff vigourously oppsed.He died in November (not in the college) and a thread was opened up in TCD,with some people saying he was a great man etc and anybody who said otherwise(myself included) being banned.Now,my problem is this:apart from hanging around the place like a bad smell,this man had NOTHING to do with the college,he also wasnt a member of boards.ie and as such was nothing more than a vagrant.Why should somebody be banned for "abuse" of a memeber of the public,dead or not?This would be akin to a banning of anybodyt who badmouthed Harold Shipman on the grounds that its not good to "speak ill of the dead".The mod in question has abused his powers for the sake of trying to appear "cool".
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Is it the same as people getting ban for called Berty a thieving bitch?

Do you want your ban lifted or are you making a complaint about the mod? Who banned you btw and do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Wooo so not getting into this but
    Degsy wrote: »
    he was NEVER anything to do with the college

is untrue. He was a student, back in the day.

Thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

6th wrote: »

Do you want your ban lifted or are you making a complaint about the mod? Who banned you btw and do you have a link?

I'm complaining about the mod..the TCD charter doesnt include down-and-outs who choose to hang out there.I havnt got a link as i cant get into the forum..

Ah now Degsy, you know you can log out and get a link ;)

Ibid wrote: »
    Wooo so not getting into this but

is untrue. He was a student, back in the day.

Thread.

Maybe he was..in the 1980's but he was banned from the library for life for defacing books.He was further banned from the college for sexual harrasment,theft and assualt.Student publications of various hues have been letting him use thier pages to libel and slander people and anybody who speaks against him gets banned??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Whatever your thoughts about him, his relation to the college and status amongst the student body; you were banned from the forum for continually going against the mods and then you repeated your actions in the SAME THREAD! If you do this on any forum here you'll get banned, whether you are right in your convictions or not. Just because he libelled people through TCD papers it doesn't mean that you can do the same through boards.

Here is the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

You were not banned for speaking ill of him. you were banned for being an abusive ass degsy. You had long made it known you did not like the man. I had agreed with you, I wasn't exactly a fan. However you spent the entire time in that thread being an aggressive bollocks to anyone who posted on it, and didn't comply when I said for yourself and one other to stop posting aggressively and being an ass to other users over the topic.

lets quote some fantastic ones from you on that thread:
    Probably froze to death rooting in a bin.

quality. that and a couple of others after I'd said to stop meant that apexaviour banned you for a week.

FOLLOWING your week ban being up, your first post was:
    Who cares?He's brown bread and thats the main thing.

stop playing the hurt party here, there isn't one.

to sum up:

man people knew around college dies. some people liked him, some didn't. there had been plenty of threads about him where this had come up previously, degsy made everyone aware of what was a fair synopsis of some of the mans unsavoury acts in the past. fair enough.

Funeral thread becomes degsy shouting down every poster who decided they wanted to say anything positive, and so got banned. then his first post back was to act the arse. Apex banned him for a month, fully deserved.

çrash_000 wrote: »
    You were not banned for speaking ill of him. you were banned for being an abusive ass degsy. You had long made it known you did not like the man. I had agreed with you, I wasn't exactly a fan. However you spent the entire time in that thread being an aggressive bollocks to anyone who posted on it, and didn't comply when I said for yourself and one other to stop posting aggressively and being an ass to other users over the topic.

lets quote some fantastic ones from you on that thread:

quality. that and a couple of others after I'd said to stop meant that apexaviour banned you for a week.

FOLLOWING your week ban being up, your first post was:

stop playing the hurt party here, there isn't one.

to sum up:

man people knew around college dies. some people liked him, some didn't. there had been plenty of threads about him where this had come up previously, degsy made everyone aware of what was a fair synopsis of some of the mans unsavoury acts in the past. fair enough.

Funeral thread becomes degsy shouting down every poster who decided they wanted to say anything positive, and so got banned. then his first post back was to act the arse. Apex banned him for a month, fully deserved.

So its against the charter to be "abusive" about non-boards members?Discuss theb loke but only if you're willing to say he was some kind of college "legend".As for my quote about him rooting in a bin...thats what he used to do..if you didnt know that you didnt know much about him.My feelings are that people posting "positive" stuff about the man is an insult to staff and others who had to suffer his bullshiit for much longer than the four years most students spend in the place.

Degsy you were told to quit it by a mod and didnt. If you had a problem with the mod then you take it to Helpdesk or Feedback .... what you dont do is ignore the mod, thats what you were banned for. The subject of discussion at the time is irrelevant.

You've told everyone and its mother on the board before what you thought of Matt, and we never said a word to you. You did it on a thread shortly after the guy died, I called bad taste on it and told you to stop. you didn't.

Quit with the bull**** of "oh, you're only allowed say nice things about him on the tcd board" because if that was so you'd have been banned a long long time ago.

• Advertisement

Degsy you were told to quit it by a mod and didnt. If you had a problem with the mod then you take it to Helpdesk or Feedback .... what you dont do is ignore the mod, thats what you were banned for. The subject of discussion at the time is irrelevant.

No i wasnt.My piece was left intact untill some bloke started going on about speaking ill of the dead..i was then banned and my piece deleted.i WASNT warned..the mod in question was then described by another poster as being "self-righteous".That about sums it up.

the mod in question was then described by another poster as being "self-righteous".That about sums it up.

left out the part about how the poster who called him self righteous was one of your co-workers. oopsy.

left out the part about how the poster who called him self righteous was one of your co-workers. oopsy.

Yeah,between us we've over 30 years service..who'd know better?

I'm sorry, I thought this was more about you thinking you were unfairly banned, and less about your work experience. If we really want to go into that i'll take your CV only in microsoft word or PDF format, thankyou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

See my posts on the thread in question. See that I wasn't banned. Also the charter is not the definitive document on what can and can't be said on the forum. Thats precisely what the admins try to avoid, i.e. being held to task by rules set in stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No Patrick Bartholomew Ahern is still alive and thus can be libeled,
    dead people can't be.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No Patrick Bartholomew Ahern is still alive and thus can be libeled,
    dead people can't be.

Man dead people have it rough! I'm gonna talk to some later and see what can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Man dead people have it rough! I'm gonna talk to some later and see what can be done about it.

quality :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Degsy:- When a mod asks you to stop, stop. If you don't agree with the mod, send him a PM. If that fails, move onto the Help Desk / Feedback forum and make your point there. That's a simple rule, that applies everywhere: Problems with a moderator, speak to him/her or take it to HelpDesk / Feedback.

You were asked to stop, and decided to ignore the request. As a result, you got banned. You made your point once, were asked to stop but continued to make it anyway - you basically said to yourself "**** the mod, ill do whatever the **** I want". Your comments were abusive and general rude towards the dead man after the point. So you ignored a mod and went on trolling. Both are ban worthy.

If it was me, I would have done the same. Why?

1) You were not constructive. Saying you dislike him and why is constructive. Going to lengths to abuse him and say stuff like "Probably froze to death rooting in a bin." is over-stepping the line and being unconstructive. Its trolling and by saying that your starting an argument with others who respect the man. Banable offense #1.

2) You made your point once, and after that time, a mod requested you (and others) refrain from making such remarks again. You ignored the mod, and continued. You clearly didn't agree with the mods request, and if so your supposed to take it to PM/Feedback/Help Desk. You did neither. Banable offense #2.

You can whine, and bitch and claim you should be able to make your point all you want. At the end of the day, its the forum mods decision. The ban was justified regardless of what the mod requested.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

i WASNT warned..

Really? Are you sure? Because.. well, iv looked at it and the topic says differently.

You made your point here

The mod came and posted after the above points and issued the warning here.

You continued after that, and as a result, got banned.

End Result: You got a warning, ignored it, and got banned. Your here today claiming you got no warning, even though the world can see clearly you did. Thank You and Good Day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Jaysus Degs, easy on the drama.

Whatever about the perceived rights or wrongs of the discussion itself, the mods made the decision to take the issue down a notch. Had you an issue, you could have discussed it with them via PM.

To compound this, you come straight back after a ban and do the same again, in the process garnering the support of one of your buddies?

Poor show, man. There are better ways to get your POV out there...

Jaysus Degs, easy on the drama.

Whatever about the perceived rights or wrongs of the discussion itself, the mods made the decision to take the issue down a notch. Had you an issue, you could have discussed it with them via PM.

To compound this, you come straight back after a ban and do the same again, in the process garnering the support of one of your buddies?

Poor show, man. There are better ways to get your POV out there...

The stuff being posted on that thread wa smaking me sick..people were coming along and saying stuff like "i hear he invented mathematics" and "oh yeah,me and him regularly discuss intellectual matters,everybody who dislikes him is a racist".Pure bull.Point of order,Roundy,i 'garnered' support from a work-colleague after i was banned the FIRST time,because she,rightly tough the mod was exceeding his authority and panderuing to the "omg,he's a legend" school of students,some of which were in the college barely a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Looks to me that you have a personal vendetta against this man.

I suggest you take some "grow up" tablets 120mgs, twice a day with food.

There should be no people bashing on boards imo.. full stop.. except in the thunderdome where you can call all person c***tards.

Hes dead, your alive.

You can post again.. he.. erm..cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The stuff being posted on that thread wa smaking me sick..people were coming along and saying stuff like "i hear he invented mathematics" and "oh yeah,me and him regularly discuss intellectual matters,everybody who dislikes him is a racist".Pure bull.Point of order,Roundy,i 'garnered' support from a work-colleague after i was banned the FIRST time,because she,rightly tough the mod was exceeding his authority and panderuing to the "omg,he's a legend" school of students,some of which were in the college barely a month.
    You make it sound as if all you were trying to do was give a clear and more balanced view of Matt. You weren't. You crossed the line repeatedly with the insults and ApeX had warned you already. I know the guy caused hassle for you in the library, but Jesus, he DIED. Leave it go.

You knew one side of the guy - other people knew a different side. They didn't see all the stuff that you did, so they wrote their posts based on what they knew. Just because there's a difference of opinion doesn't give you any kind of superiority or mean that you're the person who's automatically right.

snyper wrote: »
    Looks to me that you have a personal vendetta against this man.

Jeez,you're a sharp one!

Degsy, how about you address Sullys points?

Stargal wrote: »
    Just because there's a difference of opinion doesn't give you any kind of superiority or mean that you're the person who's automatically right.
    Nor does it mean that anybody who disagrees with me is automaticaly right.So i wasnt particularly kind about the man,there was nothing in the tcd charter to say i had to be.Why wasnt an infraction given first?

Degsy, how about you address Sullys points?

Coz i cant get into the forum to read his links.Anyway,i couldnt care less what he has to say.

Coz i cant get into the forum to read his links.Anyway,i couldnt care less what he has to say.

Ok well here is what he linked to:
    :cool:

The college should pay for nothing.he was nothing but a bum and had no connection with the place apart from to cause trouble and have certain people hoodwinked into thinking he was osme sort of charcter.
    Right, lets put it this way.

The man is dead, some people liked him, others didn't. Those who didn't, DON'T spend your time on this thread simply posting about how he was a bollocks, cus I will delete.

Secondly, College will NOT pay for his funeral, and I can't believe some of you even think that. among other things SIPTU would kick up a fuss, so its a non-issue. stop arguing about it. drop it. Get it?

See that up there is crash's post ... thats a warning.

• Advertisement

Ok well here is what he linked to:

See that up there is crash's post ... thats a warning.

"I will delete"..it doesnt say "I will delete and ban people".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement