Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from TCD for "speaking ill" of a pervert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Degsy, you are not an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Degsy wrote: »
    Jeez,you're a sharp one!

How about you follow ma advice then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hah, actually read the first post properly this time - two other things to add:
    anybody who said otherwise(myself included) being banned.

LIES. LIES LIES LIES. LIES LIES.

you were the only one banned.

The mod in question has abused his powers for the sake of trying to appear "cool".

COME SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM (i'm trying to see how many times I can use this as a reply to to feedback threads in the space of a month. think i'm on 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

çrash_000 wrote: »
    COME SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM (i'm trying to see how many times I can use this as a reply to to feedback threads in the space of a month. think i'm on 4.
    Lol. I'd say this thread just might help you get up to about 10 if Degsy keeps on going like this :)
    Degsy wrote:
    The mod in question has abused his powers for the sake of trying to appear "cool".
    Ah here Degsy, seriously, what are you up to? There were warnings, you ignored them, you got banned. What are you being so contrary for? You sound like some n00b trying to fight the powah. For the record, ApeX is a v good mod who deal with crap on the TCD board v well and I've yet to change my mind on that based on anything you've said so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh, I'm curious as to why it is not a permanent ban?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The stuff being posted on that thread wa smaking me sick..people were coming along and saying stuff like "i hear he invented mathematics" and "oh yeah,me and him regularly discuss intellectual matters,everybody who dislikes him is a racist".Pure bull.Point of order,Roundy,i 'garnered' support from a work-colleague after i was banned the FIRST time,because she,rightly tough the mod was exceeding his authority and panderuing to the "omg,he's a legend" school of students,some of which were in the college barely a month.

You may well be right about the TCD guy, or you could be 100% wrong. I don't know. It's not relevant to this discussion tbh. Fact is, quite simply the mod made the call, and removed your access twice because you were taking the discussion somewhere it shouldn't have gone, as they saw it.

You're here long enough to know the craic, and long enough to know the folly, and more often than not, the inaccuracy of throwing fight teh powah allegations about. I can't help feeling that you've gotten caught up in this and are making it out to be a bigger issue than it merits. This thread has already gotten ugly, and my advice would be to just let it go.

There was no infraction, because there was a lucid warning on thread. This situation is quite clear cut from my point of view, and others as well.

I'd take the ban, and forget about Matt the Jap, whoever he was :)

OR, which is much more fun, you can keep telling inaccurate versions of what happened, and claiming that we're trying to be in with the hip crowd. That'll be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The stuff being posted on that thread wa smaking me sick..people were coming along and saying stuff like "i hear he invented mathematics" and "oh yeah,me and him regularly discuss intellectual matters,everybody who dislikes him is a racist".Pure bull.Point of order,Roundy,i 'garnered' support from a work-colleague after i was banned the FIRST time,because she,rightly tough the mod was exceeding his authority and panderuing to the "omg,he's a legend" school of students,some of which were in the college barely a month.

In the name of all that's holy why the hell did you bother continuing to read the damn thread then? Are you on a one-person mission to "set the record straight" or something.

I don't understand this. I really don't. I have nothing to do with Trinity, so I really don't know too much of the background, but I really and truly get the impression that you are attaching far too much attention to how you feel about this person and not enough to moving on.

What worries the hell out of me is part of this thread almost plays out like a PI thread and I really wonder if Feedback is the place for it.

My opinion on all fronts is let it go. You still have your life out before you and you really shouldn't get so het up about anything on a message board, be it the ban or other people's opinions. Life is far, far too short to lose too much emotional energy on the decision of a mod on a message board. Me, where it turns nasty...I walk away. It's easier and it's a lot less stressful.

I'd also add that your opinion on anything doesn't permit you to circumvent the rules of any forum per se, and if you are asked by a mod to tone it down, and you subsequently don't tone it down, then I have little sympathy for you getting banned. Getting banned once is unfortunate, getting banned twice for the same reason. As it happens, it is entirely possible to highlight the negative impression you have of someone, even if they are dead, without actually using wholly offensive language and if that had occurred to you, it is entirely possible you might not now be banned, and you might not now be so stressed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Leave Degsy Alone

• Advertisement

An older boy made me do it sir.

on that note: a fine contribution to the thread togster. collect your medal round back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sully wrote: »
    Degsy:- When a mod asks you to stop, stop. If you don't agree with the mod, send him a PM. If that fails, move onto the Help Desk / Feedback forum and make your point there. That's a simple rule, that applies everywhere: Problems with a moderator, speak to him/her or take it to HelpDesk / Feedback.

You were asked to stop, and decided to ignore the request. As a result, you got banned. You made your point once, were asked to stop but continued to make it anyway - you basically said to yourself "**** the mod, ill do whatever the **** I want". Your comments were abusive and general rude towards the dead man after the point. So you ignored a mod and went on trolling. Both are ban worthy.

If it was me, I would have done the same. Why?

1) You were not constructive. Saying you dislike him and why is constructive. Going to lengths to abuse him and say stuff like "Probably froze to death rooting in a bin." is over-stepping the line and being unconstructive. Its trolling and by saying that your starting an argument with others who respect the man. Banable offense #1.

2) You made your point once, and after that time, a mod requested you (and others) refrain from making such remarks again. You ignored the mod, and continued. You clearly didn't agree with the mods request, and if so your supposed to take it to PM/Feedback/Help Desk. You did neither. Banable offense #2.

You can whine, and bitch and claim you should be able to make your point all you want. At the end of the day, its the forum mods decision. The ban was justified regardless of what the mod requested.
    Sully wrote: »
    Really? Are you sure? Because.. well, iv looked at it and the topic says differently.

You made your point here

The mod came and posted after the above points and issued the warning here.

You continued after that, and as a result, got banned.

End Result: You got a warning, ignored it, and got banned. Your here today claiming you got no warning, even though the world can see clearly you did. Thank You and Good Day.

Read and stop avoiding my posts.

Iv looked in the topic and I cant find any of the quotes you just put in your post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

6th wrote: »
    Man dead people have it rough! I'm gonna talk to some later and see what can be done about it.

You were going so well...
    6th wrote: »
    Degsy, you are not an idiot.

Then you blew it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Damn! smiley_disappointed.gif

I predict this will end with DNA tests proving that Matt the Jap was Degsy's father!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Nor does it mean that anybody who disagrees with me is automaticaly right.So i wasnt particularly kind about the man,there was nothing in the tcd charter to say i had to be.Why wasnt an infraction given first?

1) You don't have an automatic right to a warning
    2) You don't have an automatic right to an infraction before banning
    3) The mod in question was well within his brief.
    4) I managed to express the same opinion as yourself without getting my ass banned.
    5) You'd already been banned for comments in that thread, how is that not a warning to avoid stiring the ****e.
    6) The charter is a sub set of the rules you have to obey. It is there to limit your activities, not the mods response.
    7) Shut the **** up. Of all the moderators to have a go at you're going to pick Apex. You know yours is probably the only ban he's ever given out. He has consistently shown an unbiased and fair hand. Do you even know anything about the guy?
    8) You're making yourself look pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

A university is a place for clever for people to explore and push the boundaries of human knowledge. They learn and research and publish. Matt did all this. He was disabled and suffered from dementia.

What's your most recent publication, Degsy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Before this thread, goes too far,

Could somone think of the kids?

Anyhow.. back on topic.. i think all infractions, warns and bans should be taken on the chin..

Ive received enough of them in my time on the internet to know this..

and you know what they say about fighting on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

OTK wrote: »
    A university is a place for clever for people to explore and push the boundaries of human knowledge. They learn and research and publish. Matt did all this. He was disabled and suffered from dementia.

You're arguing about the basis of the original thread. Fatal mistake. What was matt the japs last publication since you're claiming he published material. Also Degsy isn't an academic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This thread is not about MTJ (oh looky, he's got a TLA now), OTK.

AOK?

QED.

Boston wrote: »
    7) Shut the **** up. Of all the moderators to have a go at you're going to pick Apex. You know yours is probably the only ban he's ever given out. He has consistently shown an unbiased and fair hand. Do you even know anything about the guy?

are you implying that i'm the biased unfairhanded one??

...I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

europerson wrote: »
    That's a sad loss. I hope everything works out well for him.

LOL.

Run, Degsy. It's the one man intellectual junta.

Oh yeah. Your ban was deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

well, I'm glad to see that we're all starting to get along so well in here now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I would have banned you, and I hated Matt, like actually really really disliked him as a person and his actions, and I would have banned you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What was HIS most recent publication then?Writing "**** you" on a beer matt?...."matt"..get it?hahaha..i crack myself up!

PHB wrote: »
    I would have banned you, and I hated Matt, like actually really really disliked him as a person and his actions, and I would have banned you.

And in the unlikely event i become mod of anything at all,i intend to ban you first chance i get for the annoying and numerous references to football in your sig.At least you hated the man,and for that i wouldnt ban you for long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Degsy for Mod ' Poems of Horace and Ovid' forum.

An insight into classical Greek and Latin culture.

And in the unlikely event i become mod of anything at all,i intend to ban you first chance i get for the annoying and numerous references to football in your sig.At least you hated the man,and for that i wouldnt ban you for long!

can't see you being a very balanced mod of anything tbh.

Calina wrote: »
    can't see you being a very balanced mod of anything tbh.

i'd ban you too..

Qed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

This is the second time degsy has been banned unfairly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement