Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in Trim?

Options
  • 22-01-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Any do's or don'ts for restaurants in Trim?

Ideally looking for Indian or Thai , but open to suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I really like Wau, above Sally Rogers. Its indonesian. Service is really friendly. Water Lily is the new indian on Haggard St. Decor is a bit plain but the food was grand. I have not heard any don'ts about the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jg1971

Thanks for the info Cue....

Indonesian?....Excuse my ignorance ,but is that similiar to Indian?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

For chinese, I really like Busaba near Haggard Street. Great food and again, lovely staff. (I think staff are always really nice in Chinese restaurants for some reason).
    There's also an Apache pizza should the urge for junk grab you, just opened on the Summerhill road. (out of the town up Emmett Street, past the steps pub, straight through the junction on your left). Had a takeout from there last week and it was as you;d expect, hit the spot, but nothing special. I just find pizza is very dear for what you get.

My favourite place for food is the Beacon restaurant in Brogans on high street, but its a bit pricey, and really more of a special occasion kind of place. Everything about that place is lovely though, and even the pub grub is mighty fine. (try the steak sambo in ciabatta bread, with chips). The food is kind of general posh restaurant stuff, but really really nice and great size portions.

I'd say avoid Watsons facing the castle, some of the staff there are incredibly rude and the service is dire. For cafe kind of stuff, the silver swan on market street is good. A bit bland, but cheap and very efficient and friendly.

There is great choice now in Trim for food.
    Now I'm starving.

Edit. Oh yeah, the Marigold (chinese) on Emmett street is also nice. Nice decor, great food, reasonable price. I'm not mad about take away from there, but its a nice place to go into for a meal.

Indonesian would include thai food but not be limited to it. Best fry, for me, is in the Castle Arch Hotel. Loadsa parking. Plenty of space to relax (unlike Watsons) and a mighty fine fry.

cue wrote: »
    Indonesian would include thai food but not be limited to it. Best fry, for me, is in the Castle Arch Hotel. Loadsa parking. Plenty of space to relax (unlike Watsons) and a mighty fine fry.

Interesting. I didnt know they even did breakfast. Me think a weekend visit may be in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Castle chipper, battered sausage, drowned in vinegar!

I'd have to say Wau or Busaba if you're going Oriental. Both serve a mix from across Asia and aren't pricey in the slightest. Good food also served in Franzini O'Briens opposite the Castle. Great service and food, it's won numerous awards, and it's not too much more expensive than either of the above.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Stay away from that Indian place on Haggard Street. Its sh1te:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Got a takeaway from the new Indian on Haggard Street, I agree that it was not all that good. The 2 Indians in Navan are much better.
    The new Italian will be interesting to check out.

Sunday lunch in Knightsbrook is fantastic but nearly too much food! The golf club is good for food. Heard good reports about the bar in the Castke Arch hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Franzini's is my favourite.

dixiefly wrote: »
    The 2 Indians in Navan are much better.

And a percentage goes to the employees... Zero's a percent! Anyone remember the Indian in Navan with the funny name (I won't name it here for legal reasons) that got nationwide coverage about 2 years ago for keeping a dozen of their own people in a room over shop and paying them buttons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

The Beacon at Brogans bar is the best -It may be dearer but it's definitely worth it. Amazing decor and brilliant staff.
    The Busaba is also lovely and they're very friendly.
    I think the menu in Franzini's is poor and unimaginative -they've had pretty much the same menu for years.

Went to the new Indian place on Haggard st last week. I had the chef's tandoori special and it was excellent. Others had various dishes and they found it ok. Gotta admit though, the layout is pretty basic. It looks like what it is - an old cottage that has been gutted, and that is a bit of a turn off as a dining experience. Food was good though.

cue wrote: »
    Went to the new Indian place on Haggard st last week. I had the chef's tandoori special and it was excellent. Others had various dishes and they found it ok. Gotta admit though, the layout is pretty basic. It looks like what it is - an old cottage that has been gutted, and that is a bit of a turn off as a dining experience. Food was good though.

I'm looking forward to trying that place. Its a shame they dont deliver though, as I would be more likely to try a take out than actually sit in it. I've asked a number of times about delivery, but no plans yet. Oh well, Busaba will continue to get my money for the foreseeable future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Meathgirl

Knightsbrook's my fav! I like the bistro in the Trim Castle hotel too! Ya can't beat the chips from 'the castle' takeaway!!! I have to say i found the indian on Haggard st very nice for takeaway! I like Wao too... But KNightsbrook is in a class of its own!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

BUSABA BUSABA BUSABA, really really good grub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Stay away from that Indian place on Haggard Street. Its sh1te:p

I couldn't agree with you more! I got a take away from here when they first opened. It was the most disgusting meal I've ever tasted. I'm annoyed that I didn't bring it back and complain. I ordered a Chicken Korma and it looked like porridge and tasted like s***e! STAY AWAY from this place.

The Beacon in Brogans is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Our family didnot like the Indian on Haggard St either.

There is a new Indian on Emmet St. and I had a takeaway and also had a sit down meal there last weekend and it was EXCELLENT. It is seemingly run by the same people as Gaylord in Navan.

jimd2 wrote: »

There is a new Indian on Emmet St. and I had a takeaway and also had a sit down meal there last weekend and it was EXCELLENT. It is seemingly run by the same people as Gaylord in Navan.

Thanks Jimd2. I'll have to check out this place. Though I did get a bad meal from the Gaylord before (tikka masala) and it tasted like chicken in tomato soup! But that was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

jules or is that jools - in the trim castle hotel. Possibly the best sit down meal that i've had ever - and i've eaten in maybe all of the above at various stages(!) staff probably as friendly and courteous as i've come across.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    jules or is that jools - in the trim castle hotel. Possibly the best sit down meal that i've had ever - and i've eaten in maybe all of the above at various stages(!) staff probably as friendly and courteous as i've come across.

I have to agree with you there AnCatDubh. Jules is a fantastic restaurant. I've been there twice and thouroughly enjoyed the food, service and ambience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 bandit!

Watsons new cafe on Emmet St is the best all round, Great food, you can relax and enjoy, and no shock when you get to the till, Great Fry ups, their lunch now includes roast of the day, spuds etc, and Chicken Curry is better than any other that i have tried.

jimd2 wrote: »

Just checked out the new Indian on Emmet Street (Khan Spices I think it's called). The food was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Any updates or reviews of Restaurants in trim? I haven’t been out in a while, just wondering what's good these days. I noticed Busaba has changed hands, I haven't been in yet, got a few takeaways from the new Indian on Emmet street- nicer than the other one

Watsons is doing Chinese food at night times, Got a Satay the other day and gob Smacked!!, best ive had in Trim!!
    Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

spadder wrote: »
    Any updates or reviews of Restaurants in trim? I haven’t been out in a while, just wondering what's good these days. I noticed Busaba has changed hands, I haven't been in yet, got a few takeaways from the new Indian on Emmet street- nicer than the other one

Indian on Emmet st (khan spices is class)
    Knightsbrook do a great sunday lunch but be hungry going and bring a doggie bag for your desert later as there is a LOT
    Trim Castle Hotel bar food off a menu in the evenings is good.
    Castle Arch has a great reputation for a carvery.

I have also heard that Bellinter House do a lovely early bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Fracini's is now doing a Sunday lunch

20 euro - 2 courses
    25- 3 courses

Have not tried it yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Soodlebum

The Italian - La Scala - is lovely. They do a really good Early Bird special as well. Never had a complaint about the new Indian on Emmet Street - really nice staff as well. But for the authentic Trim epicurean treat - the Castle Chippers, and the Boardsmill. Cannot be bet. Believe me!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

wien wrote: »
    i did talk to the indian guy in emmet... does he own the haggard street indian or the gaylord navan?
    but he told me he has nothing with these restaurants. he owns only and only KHAN SPICES EMMET STREET TRIM AND KHAN SPICES NAVAN LOCATED NEAR THE TOWN HALL NAVAN which is down the hill . to my understanding its watergate street.
    This indian guy who owns these 2 restaurants further told me that over khan spices navan he owns a B AND B which will b soon in operation.

but from his talks i draw a conclusion that he has a very strong hotel management and hospitality background.

KHAN SPICES INDIAN RESTAURANT EMMET STREET keep it up... u will stay if standards are maintained as it is...cos not a single person had any complaint from the quality of your food and service ....

At time of writing you have 5 posts, 4 of which are singing the praises of Khan Spices - any connection?

I haven't eaten there, but have in the one on Haggard St. and as I said before it was sh1te.

Soodlebum wrote: »
    ... for the authentic Trim epicurean treat - the Castle Chippers, and the Boardsmill. Cannot be bet. Believe me!!!!

Ah yes, the Boardsmill. 6 inches of pork offal stuffed with onions, drenched in ketchup and draped in greasy batter. I had one last night for the first time in ages. Delightful.

• Advertisement

So how many shares in Khans Spices do you own!? ok there food is good but get a life.

Advertisement