Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Pro 64-bit

• 22-01-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of purchasing this over the next few days. I got a new rig last November and the hardware is roughly 2k euros worth. I'm currently only running XP home on it. I have 4 gb RAM so I would like 64-bit so it can see all of it (as opposed to 3.25gb). Can I upgrade from xp 32 or will I need completely reformat my hardrive and install everything again to accomodate 64bit??

EDIT: If I order off Komplett it will cost €150 inc shipping (137+12.50). Is there anywhere (online or otherwise) I could get it cheaper?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

you can only upgrade a 32bit operating to a 32bit operating system you will have to do a fresh install and yes it will see the full 4gigs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If your going for 64bit go with Vista, XP 64Bit isnt good at all...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^ What he said. Vista x64 has much better driver support than XP x64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Dabs.ie are slightly cheaper , 132 + 5 postage , but they are also a lot slower to ship,

and as previously said , get a list of all your devices , and check for Win XP X 64 drivers bofore you do anything or it will be a nightmare , they must be certified or they wont work , it will not accept any substitutes , or any kind of 32 bit driver , its very very picky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

mathias wrote: »
    Dabs.ie are slightly cheaper , 132 + 5 postage , but they are also a lot slower to ship,

and as previously said , get a list of all your devices , and check for Win XP X 64 drivers bofore you do anything or it will be a nightmare , they must be certified or they wont work , it will not accept any substitutes , or any kind of 32 bit driver , its very very picky.

Would you agree with other posters that Vista 64 bit is the better option. My rig was bought late november for 2k in total, pieced it together myself. Will put it in my sig soon, but in a nutshell:

Q6600 2.4ghz cpu
    4gb ram
    500gb hd
    xfx 8800gt 670mhz xxx gpu
    620w psu

• Advertisement

You should be OK there , no parts older than 3 months , so all drivers should be available.

What about printers , scanners , wireless cards that kind of thing , do you have them and are 64 bit drivers available for those?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

mathias wrote: »
    You should be OK there , no parts older than 3 months , so all drivers should be available.

What about printers , scanners , wireless cards that kind of thing , do you have them and are 64 bit drivers available for those?

No printers or scanners set up yet. My motherboard is Wifi enabled so i'd assume i'd be ok there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

yoyo wrote: »
    XP 64Bit isnt good at all...

Nick

This is just not true! I am happy to say it is a stable, robust OS. It is not a "gaming OS", though I have only ever had an issue with one game on it, Quake 3 which wouldn't install but would play perfectly from the CD, so it really depends on what the PC is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Stephen wrote: »
    ^ What he said. Vista x64 has much better driver support than XP x64.

I haven't tried Vista 64, but agree there can be driver issues with XP64. But only if you use old hardware - in my experience at least - the only problem I have had was an MX500 mouse which worked fine with Windows native drivers anyhow.

No printers or scanners set up yet. My motherboard is Wifi enabled so i'd assume i'd be ok there too.

The only issues Ive heard of with this OS are primarily driver issues , so if your sure they are all available and certified I say go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement