Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finnan Retires from International Football

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Good for Liverpool, he's been picking up injures fairly easily over the last few years. Hopefully this adds 2-3 years onto his career at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thanks Steve for being one of our few decent players in a difficult few years. Great full back, shame to lose him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

That is a big loss but his best days are behind him. Its not going to make a big difference regarding whether or not we qualify or not. That link isn't working btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

How old is he now? Who you reckon will take the slot now? O'Shea, O'Brien?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I wonder has he heard who the new international manager is, and decided to jump ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

This is ****ing terrible.

Whoever the next manager is has to approach Finnan and tell him he needs him and that he doesn't have to play in any friendlies...because you can guarantee that having to turn out for friendlies is a key factor in Finnans decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Shame, he's a great player, for Ireland and Poo'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This could be the first of many.

Shay Given, I'm sure he's browned off representing two circuses.

Robbie could go.

Some of the midfield.

DesF wrote: »
    Shay Given, I'm sure he's browned off representing two circuses.

Hard to sympathise with Shay though. He could've left Newcastle years ago. Fair enough he was loyal but where has it gotten him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ah des in fairness keane has a few years left in the tank!...a few goals wouldnt go amiss tho!:D
    but seriously the top 6-7 players shouldnt be called up for meaningless friendly's.finnan included.
    he was a great servant of the national team and will be missed badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

finnans obviously a bottler ;)
    been speaking to carragher too much id say

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hard to sympathise with Shay though. He could've left Newcastle years ago. Fair enough he was loyal but where has it gotten him?
    :eek:

We slate mercernaries, we slate loyalty.

What do players have to do?

Or maybe, just maybe, no-one in the so called "big four" ever came in for him, because the top, top managers don't rate him?

Maybe aul Shay isn't as "world class" as the green spectacle wearers think.

Or maybe, just maybe, no-one in the so called "big four" ever came in for him, because the top, top managers don't rate him?

Well he was heavily linked with United and Arsenal when both Schmeichel and Seaman left. He kept signing contracts to prove his loyalty. I have no problem with that but if he was to come out, as you say, and be 'browned off' then the sympathy would end there. Don't think that's unreasonable.

Oh and yeah he definitely was that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Not world class but surely could have moved out of toon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

My word DesF surely you're not doubting Givens quality? The lad has been picked twice in the Premier League team of the year ie the best goalkeeper in the Premier League for those particular seasons. No need for green spectacles here, the facts speak for themselves, the lads world class.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well he was heavily linked with United and Arsenal when both Schmeichel and Seaman left.
    Er, yeah, by the red tops and gossip merchants.
    Pighead wrote: »
    My word DesF surely you're not doubting Givens quality? The lad has been picked twice in the Premier League team of the year ie the best goalkeeper in the Premier League for those particular seasons. No need for green spectacles here, the facts speak for themselves, the lads world class.
    Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Villain wrote: »
    Huge huge loss..
    But not a huge huge surprise.

DesF wrote:
    because the top, top managers don't rate him?
    Apparently his size has always gone against him, which is odd considering he's 6,1. But then again the top clubs do like the lanky feckers.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    he's 6,1.

Is he really?

He looks much smaller tbh.

Who remebers Paul McGrath(dodgy knees), John Aldridge, Ray Houghton,
    Andy Townsend, Ronnie Whelan etc?

God, I miss those guys:(..retiring at 31 with no extenuating circumstances is just not right:confused:

Hmm.
    Well when you put it like that perhaps I was being a bit over zealous in declaring him world class. Hadn't considered looking at it from that point of view.

• Advertisement

Is he really?

He looks much smaller tbh.
    Yeah, I was surprised when I heard that years ago too. I think the fact that he looks smaller than he is has gone against him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well Finnan hasnt been able to put a string of games together for the last while without picking up an injury. That combined with the fact that the last few years he has been inexplicably played out of position would constitute extenuating circumstances in my book.

Great player. One of our few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Balls.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Well Finnan hasnt been able to put a string of games together for the last while without picking up an injury. That combined with the fact that the last few years he has been inexplicably played out of position would constitute extenuating circumstances in my book.

Great player. One of our few.

You are joking right? I seriously doubt that was in Finnans mind either.

It's not inexplicable for a manager to play him in position he's well capable of to try and get the best team out on the field. He's just as adept at left or right back. Our best defensive performance of the last campaign was with Finnan at left back and O'Shea right back against Wales at home.

He's an integral starting XI team player - whether that be at left/right back or right mid and should not be retiring.

Nunu wrote: »
    He's an integral starting XI team player - whether that be at left/right back or right mid and should not be retiring.
    But not in Rafa's team this year.

I don't see anything wrong with a player giving up International duty to concentrate on his actual job, ya know, the one that pays his wages and stuff.

and should not be retiring.
    orly?

and you know all of his personal circumstances, do you?

orly?

and you know all of his personal circumstances, do you?

Of course not? But, you can only go by what he has said.

What I'm getting at is it is too easy for a player to retire from international football. I find it hard to comprehend. Despite what people may say surely the possibility of playing for your country at a major finals would spur you on for as long as possible?

I suppose I just have the romantic notion that a player should be more or less have to be told to **** off by the manager before they can call an end to their international career...ala McGrath, Houghton etc.
    A lot of people would say they and others hung on too long but I actually admire them for it. If you're playing club football, why not international aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

What I'm getting at is it is too easy for a player to retire from international football. I find it hard to comprehend. Despite what people may say surely the possibility of playing for your country at a major finals would spur you on for as long as possible?

Maybe he is smart enough to know that we have f**k all chance of reaching the next major finals. So he doesn't want to spend another two years trawling around europe for no reason.

Or maybe he just thinks it would be a big waste of time, and isn't arsed any more, coming over and being treated like a mug by the clown association.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Very sad to see him go. It was sticking out and I don't think he'll be the last. It always done my head in when Carr was started in front of him, I'm nearly surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Maybe he is smart enough to know that we have f**k all chance of reaching the next major finals. So he doesn't want to spend another two years trawling around europe for no reason.

Wow, what a defeatist attitude! If that's how he's thinking then he is right to retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

:

You yourself stated he was the only world class player on our national team only a few days ago :confused: Id rate Shay as better than Cech tbh, its just that the awful defence he has worked with over the years doesnt always cause the goaline to reflect it.

Awful news about Finnan :(

Wow, what a defeatist attitude! If that's how he's thinking then he is right to retire.

Defeatist, or realist?

shane86 wrote: »
    You yourself stated he was the only world class player on our national team only a few days ago :confused:
    I also own a pair of green spectacles.
    shane86 wrote: »
    Id rate Shay as better than Cech tbh,
    Ha.

Defeatist, or realist?

Ye, i'd stick with defeatist...unless you can look into the future...can you:eek::D

• Advertisement

Ye, i'd stick with defeatist...unless you can look into the future...can you:eek::D
    I can't see into the future, but I can tell you that it will take a damn miracle for Ireland to qualify for the WC.

And miracles haven't happened in two thousand years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

IMO a player who retires from Internation Football age 31 with no serious reason illustrates the players lack of pride for his "country".

A true Irish player would not do this, but Finnan has lived in England for nearly all of his live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Maybe it is defeatist. But if you look at the chances of success with Liverpool or with Ireland, you would say Liverpool have a better chance of success, and Finnan has a better chance of keeping his team and squad place at Liverpool if he is able to rest during international breaks.

Maybe it is defeatist. But if you look at the chances of success with Liverpool or with Ireland, you would say Liverpool have a better chance of success,

About the same imo. :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Couldn't agree less weathercheck. The man wnet to game after game only to watch Stephen Carr take the starting spot. As I said, I'm surprised he didn't jack it in ages ago.

• Advertisement

I can't see into the future, but I can tell you that it will take a damn miracle for Ireland to qualify for the WC.

And miracles haven't happened in two thousand years.
    Wrong Desmond. Traore won his Champions League medal less than 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

..another example of players loseing their national pride...

money over the green.

Shame.

I'll play if i get the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

what a shame alright, he'd only just be 34 at the time of the next WC (if we qualify;)) and we need all the experienced players we can get for the qualifiers. its ridiculous in this day and age that players are retiring from international football so young, look at fernando couto, he retired from international football at 35 and he's still playing now at 39!.

p.s. its obvious from some sentiments on this thread that people put the club they follow before their country and are happy for finnan to retire, what a disgrace.

maybe when a new high calibre manager is appointed (stop laughing down the back there!) they might have a word with him to un-retire, i can imagine the long drawn out process in getting a new manager hasnt exactly inspired him to stay on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eh? why are people giving him a hard time over this decision? he's 31, it's a completely understandble move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Very disappointing that he should retire at only 31. Having said that though, I hope he can be persuaded to postpone his decision. His experience would be tremendous to have during the forthcoming qualification campaign.

i guess im just old fashioned, when your called upon to play for your country you should play, not be concerned about what may happen with your domestic career.

p.s. Stephen Carr came out of retirement did he not? maybe Finnan will do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

IMO a player who retires from Internation Football age 31 with no serious reason illustrates the players lack of pride for his "country".

A true Irish player would not do this, but Finnan has lived in England for nearly all of his live.

ah hear. he stated that he'll be 34 by the time the WC comes round. he feels he wont be in the team then so why not step aside and let a younger player through.

question the pride of someone who represented their country 50 times???
    grow up!

i guess im just old fashioned, when your called upon to play for your country you should play, not be concerned about what may happen with your domestic career.
    That's just nonsense. So you'd risk your bill paying job?
    p.s. Stephen Carr came out of retirement did he not? maybe Finnan will do the same.
    LOL. Using Stephen Carr as an example!! Best one yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

prendy wrote: »
    ah hear. he stated that he'll be 34 by the time the WC comes round. he feels he wont be in the team then so why not step aside and let a younger player through.

question the pride of someone who represented their country 50 times???
    grow up!

Yea i do actually.

If he had some pride he would keep playing until he reached 35 or if he picked up an injury.

TBH retiring at 31 is shameful.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's just nonsense. So you'd risk your bill paying job?

LOL. Using Stephen Carr as an example!! Best one yet!!

LOL indeed, thats nonsense, if your logic for not playing international football is potential injury then why play international football at all at any age?

Stephen Carr, moody michael as he is, still came out of retirement, and as i said the more experienced players who have played in a successful WC qualifying campaigns the better!

as i said already players can play at the highest levels and play international football well into their 30s, using random examples Cannavaro is 34, Campbell is 33, Beckham is 32, all want to play for their country in the next WC campaigns, why not Finnan?

• Advertisement
Advertisement