Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finnan Retires from International Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's just nonsense. So you'd risk your bill paying job?

you make it sound like he's on the breadline.

how exactly would he risk his job by playing on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

what a shame alright, he'd only just be 34 at the time of the next WC (if we qualify;)) and we need all the experienced players we can get for the qualifiers. its ridiculous in this day and age that players are retiring from international football so young, look at fernando couto, he retired from international football at 35 and he's still playing now at 39!.

p.s. its obvious from some sentiments on this thread that people put the club they follow before their country and are happy for finnan to retire, what a disgrace.

This is a load of rubbish to be honest. 34 is too old to be bombing up and down the touchline and chasing pacy wingers in (if we get to them) a WC finals. Nearing 32 even is probably too old to be embarking on a new qualifying campaign while hoping to challenge for a title and play a major part in the champions league.

Finnan recognises this and also knows that new players are coming up through the ranks.

As regards Couto - just because a player is still playing at 39, doesn't mean he's still up to international level - isn't he playing for Parma?

To give you the perfect example, Maldini played for Italy until it was obvious he was no longer going to be considered for the first team. Ask any Italian and they'll tell you he's one of the best players ever but he waited too long to retire. Many that I know feel this cost them an important game or two.

Finnan's given the Irish team as much as anyone could ask. At the age of 32 he probably feels that he has maybe 2 years left at Liverpool. looking at the Irish set-up, it's obvious that another new era is about to start under the stewardship of god knows who. maybe he just feels it's not going to be his era this time around.

You're more than a bit ungrateful to be honest. He's a model pro and has carried himself just as that throughout everything that's gone on. I can't remember him choosing not to travel anywhere as some would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Maybe he is smart enough to know that we have f**k all chance of reaching the next major finals. So he doesn't want to spend another two years trawling around europe for no reason.
    DesF wrote:
    Or maybe he just thinks it would be a big waste of time, and isn't arsed any more, coming over and being treated like a mug by the clown association.

I'd say his reason is a combination of both of the above. Finnan was a model pro and always gave his best in an irish shirt so i dont think there is any weight in the claim that he doesnt want to play because he's an english based player. Roy, Carr, Kenny are just a few "Irish" lads who have retired prematurely in the past.

To all the liverpool fans i would say he has more chance of winning something with ireland than with you shower!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

gosplan wrote: »
    This is a load of rubbish to be honest. 34 is too old to be bombing up and down the touchline and chasing pacy wingers in (if we get to them) a WC finals. Nearing 32 even is probably too old to be embarking on a new qualifying campaign while hoping to challenge for a title and play a major part in the champions league.

Finnan recognises this and also knows that new players are coming up through the ranks.

As regards Couto - just because a player is still playing at 39, doesn't mean he's still up to international level - isn't he playing for Parma?

To give you the perfect example, Maldini played for Italy until it was obvious he was no longer going to be considered for the first team. Ask any Italian and they'll tell you he's one of the best players ever but he waited too long to retire. Many that I know feel this cost them an important game or two.

Finnan's given the Irish team as much as anyone could ask. At the age of 32 he probably feels that he has maybe 2 years left at Liverpool. looking at the Irish set-up, it's obvious that another new era is about to start under the stewardship of god knows who. maybe he just feels it's not going to be his era this time around.

You're more than a bit ungrateful to be honest. He's a model pro and has carried himself just as that throughout everything that's gone on. I can't remember him choosing not to travel anywhere as some would.

Totally wrong.

Maldini was begged on more than one occasion by the Italian managemaent to join up with them for Euro '04 and then again for World Cup '06 - even as late as just before the squad deadline. They also said he didn't have to play friendlies. And i don't remember him ever costing them a game or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Malidini was 34 when he retired and was considered such a liability that he was asked back for both the 2004 EC and 2006 WC!

Gary Neville is 32, chances are he'll be in Capello's plans for the 2010 WC qualifying.

Cafu captained Brazil to WC victory in 2002 at age 32, with Roberto Carlos the other Fullback( they then played in the 2006 WC as well)

Lilian Thuram and William Gallas have/will be playing a part in Frances previous Campaigns, Thuram went well into his 30s, in Gallas' case he will be playing for the foreseeable future and he is a year younger then Finnan!

please dont call me ungrateful, i like Stevie Finnan and i think he can do a job for us in the WC qualifiers, im disappointed with his decision, who isnt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

sad decision. I never like any player retiring from internationals before their club career is over.

Bluntly, it has to be about greed. I mean he's already minted and he's basically trying to keep earning premiership wages for as long as possible. Its debatable how much continuing his international career would shorten his club career. I reckon you're talking inmonths not years. Its typically what 8 games a year ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hmmm, maybe we can coax Stephen Carr out of retirement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

DesF wrote: »
    :eek:

Is he really?

He looks much smaller tbh.
    Sky did a great piece on him before (during the Premiership's Greatest Ever Foreign Players) where he explains that he's not that small and then 10 or 15 teammates and ex-teammates line up to say that he's done great for such a small chap... classic
    Cafu captained Brazil to WC victory in 2002 at age 32, with Roberto Carlos the other Fullback( they then played in the 2006 WC as well)
    And they were both well past it by '06... I think it's a fine decision - a new manager might have ended up not playing him because he's "looking to the future" anyway, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

it's not like any Irish players play half as good for their country as they do their clubs anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Or maybe he just thinks it would be a big waste of time, and isn't arsed any more, coming over and being treated like a mug by the clown association.
    Association smociation. He's representing Ireland. His country. **** the FAI and **** the board of Shelbourne FC that managed to get them into such a state.

Anyway, thankfully Stephen Kelly has been very impressive for Birmingham this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Association smociation. He's representing Ireland. His country. **** the FAI and **** the board of Shelbourne FC that managed to get them into such a state.
    What the jaysis do Shelbourne have to do with Steve Finnan, might I ask?

Seriously.

Because I think it's pretty clear that the reason you don't support Ireland is because of the FAI. A dodgy board isn't going to stop me supporting Ireland, or Celtic for that matter.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Because I think it's pretty clear that the reason you don't support Ireland is because of the FAI. A dodgy board isn't going to stop me supporting Ireland, or Celtic for that matter.
    So, why were you ranting about Shels?

I genuinely dont understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ridiculous to bring Shels into it, merely looking for a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

sure while were here lets blame Shels and yer man who drove them into the ground for Saipan, take that Shels!

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Ridiculous to bring Shels into it, merely looking for a reaction.
    I'm certainly not. I think Des would be the last person to rise to that. I think it's pretty clear what I'm saying and can't believe I have to explain it. Des would not stop supporting Shels whether their board was world class or corrupt. I seriously doubt "the association" had anything to do with Finnan's decision.

Nunu wrote: »
    Totally wrong.

Maldini was begged on more than one occasion by the Italian managemaent to join up with them for Euro '04 and then again for World Cup '06 - even as late as just before the squad deadline. They also said he didn't have to play friendlies. And i don't remember him ever costing them a game or two?

He wouldn't have started,
    that's my point. He recognised that his days were numbered. Asking him to join the squad is just bull**** lip service - there's no way he would have got in ahead of Nesta, Cannavaro or probably Matterazi. He didn't want to be just a squad member.

Obviously if you want you can find a load of quotes saying we'd love to have him around and so on and so forth but that's the same as Real saying 'Hierro will be missed' when the guy had clearly become a liability.

Back on topic - you can't question the loyalty of a player who turned up without fail for qualifying matches where he was being given moronic instructions by a man who was tactically beaten by Cyrpus - twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Finnan was a great servant to Ireland and it is a loss to see him go, one of our most consistent players.

lets hope it improves and lengthens his club career :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

This could be the first of many.

Robbie could go.

I know things are bad at the moment but Robbies not even 28 yet!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

event wrote: »
    you make it sound like he's on the breadline.
    Not at all. I was just making the point that his loyalties lie, first and foremost, with his employers which in this case is his club.

I really don't understand people sometimes. If the guy wants to retire (for whatever reason) so be it. It's his choice. It's very easy to criticise a player while sitting in front of your computer, complaining that he should do this or do that for his Country. What have you ever done for your country?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Good Luck to him. I hope his departure allows Joey O Brien andKevin Foley to develop.

At least it forces the new manager to think a little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not at all. I was just making the point that his loyalties lie, first and foremost, with his employers which in this case is his club.

I really don't understand people sometimes. If the guy wants to retire (for whatever reason) so be it. It's his choice. It's very easy to criticise a player while sitting in front of your computer, complaining that he should do this or do that for his Country. What have you ever done for your country?

Bazmo come on, any of us would cut our own hand off to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Really? Club football is of far more importance now for the top players as well as supporters.

Winning the world cup for your country...

or

winning Champions League.....

I know which would mean more to me. I guess it depends on how much national pride the player has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

or

I know which would mean more to me. I guess it depends on how much national pride the player has.

Yes cause he has a realistic shout of winning the World Cup with Ireland :rolleyes:

Cafu, Maldini etc stayed on because they had a chance to win things at international level. Finnan doesn't

or

As a supporter Champions League, no contest.

Ok then representing my country in the World Cup....

or

Playing for a club in Champions League.

Basically my country is the most important thing, it ranks up with my family in terms of importance.

or

Basically my country is the most important thing, it ranks up with my family in terms of importance.

Fair enough, for me it would be club everytime no contest.

Just to add, I think its probably better that Steve Finnan retired, as I think its better having a younger squad. I think his reasons are correct.

Just to add, I think its probably better that Steve Finnan retired, as I think its better having a younger squad. I think his reasons are correct.

New manager and all that, it is a good time for you to rebuild. A good consistent player though who just gets on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is a huge loss for the upcoming qualifiers. In fairness though, Finnan was never properly recognized within the Irish setup - and with the dilly dallying over the new appointment I easily see why he has chosen this point in time to jack it in.

50 caps and however many more match squads is more than enough service folks. He has no obligation to play - and when a footballer's heart is no longer in it he is no longer an asset to any squad.

Pity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Decent player in his service for Ireland though having a manager play you out of yore favoured position didn't help for a while.His reasons seem justified to me also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Really? Club football is of far more importance now for the top players as well as supporters.

Any already wealthy player thinking along these lines should have never played for his country in the first place. Im not saying that about Finnan necessarily, I think however he may have become disillusioned with the whole FAI set up, maybe the long hunt for a manager was the final straw if he thinks they wont get anyone decent. His pretty neutral expression upon scoring the equaliser in Croker said it all. He was glad to rescue the seeding but he knew they had performed awful.

Any supporter who would rather see Man U or Liverpool or any other far off team in a city theyve no association lift the CL than see a stadium ull of green white and gold flags cheer on an Irish squad making not only sport but national history is a disgrace tbh.
    As a supporter Champions League, no contest.

Maybe I am misreading this but you would rather see your club win the CL than your national team win the WC/Euros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We had a poll on this a while ago, in terms of a treble or a world cup. I personally pick a treble.

I have more attachment to my club football team than my national football team.

I wouldn't.
    Pride, schmide.

Steve Finnan has done it for Ireland for long enough. He has a career to think about. If he feels this decision will lengthen his career, then more power to him.
    PHB wrote: »
    But I get slated for that point of view.

At least I support Irish football ffs.

Where is the pride in the country with people who pour money into the British game?

Don't lecture me on national pride, thanks very fúcking much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, any of us with severe mental problems would.

He's played for his country for 8 years amassing 50 caps and played in a World Cup. Fairplay to him if he wants to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

or

Well Finnan has done both Played for Ireland in 2002 World Cup and won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 so there you go he has done it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,130 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've no problem with players retiring from international football if they're in their mid 30s and struggling for fitness - 31 is too young though. He should've given it another campaign.

loyatemu wrote: »
    He should've given it another campaign.
    Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why?

So he could wear the Green Jersey and try and bring his nation to the world cup in 2010.

There is no bigger incentive in football, unless you are more concerened about your finances.

Look DesF, I know you support Irish football more than me, and perhaps others that are bemused at Finnan's choice, and who would rather play for my country than play for their club side.

Its not really about pride in my country, but it is love for my country.

To the people who support teams in far away lands(I do to) how could you feel more joy seeing Chelsea lift the European Cup?

It means nothing really. Ireland is YOU!!!!!!! _____________(foreign team) is only an example of globalisation.

I'm not coming down on one side or another but I'm not sure everyone is considering the experience of playing for your country.

I think the key is that we see the players as playing for us and wearing the green shirt. Their experiences probably show it more as working for the FAI.

He's entitled to feel he's given a lot to an organisation that have made it pretty much as difficult as they possibly could. He still turned up, he stilll played well despite everything and leaving now is no betrayal.

For those that think money comes into it - Finnan signed a three year contract last summer and it'll more than likely be his last at Liverpool. If anything a WC appearence in the summer he's out of contract would boost his profile.

Look DesF, I know you support Irish football more than me,
    I wasn't trying to say that at all.

But it galls me to hear people talk about "national pride", when they themselves exhibit a sever lack of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good player, good servent. He will be a big loss

shane86 wrote: »
    Maybe I am misreading this but you would rather see your club win the CL than your national team win the WC/Euros?

No spot on, I'd rather Arsenal win a corner. You seriously think I'm going to cheer on Robbie Keane, no chance, mind he is a good player, I will give him that. But sorry 100%Arsenal for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

PHB wrote: »
    We had a poll on this a while ago, in terms of a treble or a world cup. I personally pick a treble.

You remind me of an Irish Man U fan I was in college with who also supported England, he had even been at Euro 2000 cheering them on, despite absoloutely no family ties to England. Why? Because he reckoned England have a better team, therefore they deserve his support more than the Irish.

That is a shocking statement from any football fan, it really is. Id be surprised to hear anyone from Manchester stating it, let alone some Irish lad who likely picked Man U in the early 90s when they were winning loads and were bleedin deadly etc etc. If seeing the Man U squad lift a CL cup in a far off European city is more important than seeing Robbie (as unlikely as it is), lift a World/European cup, or even make it out of the knock out rounds, words escape me tbh.
    No spot on, I'd rather Arsenal win a corner. You seriously think I'm going to cheer on Robbie Keane, no chance, mind he is a good player, I will give him that. But sorry 100%Arsenal for me ;)

Why?!!?

Because he plays for your Norf Landan royvils? Personally I think Robbie should have the captaincy taken off him and made to earn a selection but still.

Jesus Christ.

shane86 wrote: »
    You remind me of an Irish Man U fan I was in college with who also supported England, he had even been at Euro 2000 cheering them on, despite absoloutely no family ties to England. Why? Because he reckoned England have a better team, therefore they deserve his support more than the Irish.

That is a shocking statement from any football fan, it really is. Id be surprised to hear anyone from Manchester stating it, let alone some Irish lad who likely picked Man U in the early 90s when they were winning loads and were bleedin deadly etc etc. If seeing the Man U squad lift a CL cup in a far off European city is more important than seeing Robbie (as unlikely as it is), lift a World/European cup, or even make it out of the knock out rounds, words escape me tbh.

Why?!!?

Because he plays for your Norf Landan royvils? Personally I think Robbie should have the captaincy taken off him and made to earn a selection but still.

Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ yourself, I've little interest in International football, end of, and yes because Keane plays for the spuds though that is not the reason I don't support Ireland, it is club football for me, obviously not for you,fair play, but get over it.

As for your mate supporting England, my English treacher, a scouse supporting priest was the exact same as your mate, supported England.

Shane- Your right absolute madness.

Its not like the Republic of Ireland is a country like Spain. If you were from Catalan and said I follow Barca; I don't care if Spain do well or not. Then perhaps your stance would be acceptable but your Irish. Arsenal means nothing to you, I'm sorry. Its not about loving international football either, you don't have to, but when YOUR National team is playing...your fellow countrymen are singing the national anthem it is your obligation to support them fully.

I don't like Rugby or Golf, but damn I'll support an Irish team or person at any cost.

*p.s I know you owe no explanaton to me, but that is crazy talk*

Shane- Your right absolute madness.

Its not like the Republic of Ireland is a country like Spain. If you were from Catalan and said I follow Barca; I don't care if Spain do well or not. Then perhaps your stance would be acceptable but your Irish. Arsenal means nothing to you, I'm sorry. Its not about loving international football either, you don't have to, but when YOUR National team is playing...your fellow countrymen are singing the national anthem it is your obligation to support them fully.

I don't like Rugby or Golf, but damn I'll support an Irish team or person at any cost.

*p.s I know you owe no explanaton to me, but that is crazy talk*

Sorry don't agree with you,and I'm not any less Irish because of it. And don't be stupid it is not my obligation to support them. As for Arsenal meaning nothing to me again that is not for you to decide.

They do mean something to you. I should have made it clearer. However, how your loyalty would be closer to Arsenal than to the Irish national team is quite bemusing.

What connection do you have with Sagna? What connection do you have with Stephen Kelly?

I think there would be far more possible to have emotion if Ireland missed a penalty in the world cup semi final than if Flamini missed a penalty in the champions league semi final.

• Advertisement
Advertisement