Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video and Sound Technology?

Options
  • 22-01-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

anyone doin this course that can coment on it, thinkin of doin this next year, just wonderin what the general feelin towards dis course was. Tanx:);)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Well ive done it, you get a sound bunch of people doing the course but unfortunately when i was doing this course it was terrible, theres a couple of threads in this forum that deals with it and i have expressed my opinions about it so check it out, apparently though a member is saying the facilities are much improved which is good news and the course is becoming more professional/focused than it was before. but that could be someone from LIT spreading propaganda (im paranoid like that :P ).

If it has changed look into it for sure but if it was anything like it was before stay well clear we had no equipment ridiculous lecturers that don't show up half the time, poor facilities and non relevant classes that were pass or fail on attendance/exams, first year you will be doing allot of theory and basics 2nd year you get a project you have produce a video of about 10 minutes long and other small projects. Now, this is only going back a couple of years and i find it hard to believe its changed completely as claimed by a member in another thread.

Make sure you go to open day talk to lecturers, don't just take their word they are trying to sell you something, go see the facilities yourself make sure they are up to scratch, learn more about the classes in each year, if there is something called human resources flee! learn about what they will be teaching you in each class and ask for details don't let them generalize! one lecture in particular is great at promising things that will never happen or are just plain lies. Also very hard to get a job in Ireland with this course, there is no placement, so expect to be on your own, trust me its very hard to get a career in media unless you know someone, most places want experience that requires hands on knowledge something you dident get when i was there, therefore you can expect to be making tea and getting paid less than minimum or working voluntarily for experience, you will more than likely need to travel abroad. Since ive left ive met a few people who have made it successful in the area they recommended some fas course in video production in tralee apparently most people in rte did this course, and i think they give you placement.

when i was doing this course 40 of us started 15 or so stayed for the diploma, 3 for the degree, most of the people left in disgust.Im not trying to put you off this im simply stating facts from my experience i stayed for the diploma and passed, thought i did give the degree a shot... Of course if it has changed and received a complete overhaul ie ditching of non relevant classes, better equipment etc (as stated by a member) then it could be quite good as it was meant to be, but i would remain weary just make sure you know as much as possible about it before going ahead because i wasted 3 years and i regret doing it, thats 3 years i wont get back and i realised i could have used those to get well a head in my new (hopefully permanent)career path...

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

Man i agree with you 100% with how **** video and sound was and in a way still is. I'm now in third year (probly met you at a party or something!) and up to this year the course was absolute tripe, but trust me the facilities are now there to make it a proper course. Ollie "teaches" feck all anymore and control is being shifted away a bit from meskell to people with masters in music production.

The technical aspect is always going to be there as its an engineering course, but the new add-on year is a scientific degree, no electronics or any of that crap.

But to sum up, Video and sound is definatley NOT the same course that they tell you it is in the prospectus or on open day.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Man i agree with you 100% with how **** video and sound was and in a way still is. I'm now in third year (probly met you at a party or something!) and up to this year the course was absolute tripe, but trust me the facilities are now there to make it a proper course. Ollie "teaches" feck all anymore and control is being shifted away a bit from meskell to people with masters in music production.

The technical aspect is always going to be there as its an engineering course, but the new add-on year is a scientific degree, no electronics or any of that crap.

But to sum up, Video and sound is definatley NOT the same course that they tell you it is in the prospectus or on open day.

i dident mind electronics that much alot of it was relevant but they could have cut it down somewhat imo, do they still have human resourses?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

I'd say nows a great time to jump into video and sound- 3rd year there meself (its ciaran- barry).
    By the time the new batch of students come in next September, They'll have the studios(there's 4 control rooms with varied desks and 2 shared live rooms) and have lecturers and peers who actually have some idea how to use them, they're still getting used to them right now. They'll have the edit suites and a proper lab with pro-tools, avid and enough high powered pcs for everyone to use.
    The video side still leaves alot to be desired- there was supposed to be new camera kits coming in and due to stupid college procedure they've been submitted months ago with what they want to get and nothing has actually been done to get them- not the lecturers fault, he's very enthusiastic and seriously knows his s**t, its those above his head who's feckin it up. As it stands right now we've 1 decent camera working well enough to use, 2 working fine just with no batteries thus rendering them useless and 2 more that work fine just we only use them in class and aren't allowed take home. They have more but they're just consumer camcorders that really aren't worth using. The editing situation is great, its just the shoot equipment side that lets the whole lot down. By the time ext years students come in, I reckon they'll have gotten in the new camera's and have sorted out the ones now.

So i'd say that for someone coming in next year it'll be class- good gear, a few new young lecturers who know the score and looking likely that it'll be 4 years long with a common 4th year with music tech that will have you leaving with a level 8 degree, To be honest i'm pretty sickened that all this is happening towards the end of my stint in the course, if those studios were there even last year I would have loved it, as it is unless 4th year comes we're not gonna have spent enough time with them to get the most out of them.

yeah we still do human resources and project managment- only for this year though and we got a new lecturer for it, she started off as a tad bit of a bitch but once she got settled in she chilled out and twas grand- she knows we don't really care about the subject so hasn't really been killing us over it.

Sounds like it really has improved, thats good to hear, i wish all those facilities were there when i was in the course, might have just stayed on for the degree then.

But it sounds like, the course "fillers" are still in such as HR....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 MissL

Cool, sounds good! I'll Probably be there next year so!! :D Thanks for the help;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

I was a member of the first class for video and sound technology, it was exactly as Cato describes it, ridiculous! However there was a good idea behind the course and obviuosly alot of interest so I was confidant they would get it someway right eventually. Whether next year is the one or not I can't say.

I got the Diploma I came for though so who am I to complain.

It was a great laugh though I have to say, everyone in the class was really sound and we partied all the time, basically because we had nothing to actually do in class.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LayneVedder

I think by next year goin onto the year after it'll be a great time to come into the course, got all the camera gear now, and the studios are savage and fairly addictive.

Advertisement