Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen blackout after adjusting RAM

Options
  • 22-01-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Having taken the RAM I wish to replace out of my PC yesterday to check its model number, I today put the same RAM back in.

Alas, the PC has failed to reboot. I just get a black screen and there is no recognition of the keyboard (the LEDs usually light on booting).

The RAM appears to be locked in place correctly and I dont think I disturbed anything else. My only theory is that I gave something a belt of static and fried it as I wasn't grounded when working on the pc or handling the components.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Are you getting any beeps on startup?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried booting off with just one stick? Have you also ensured that both modules are in the same colour slot (wouldnt neccisarily stop pc from booting but you never know), did you also try installing the memory into another slot? Its quite rare to kill a pc component by static, especially once you plug out the power going to the pc...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Thanks for the replies

There are no beeps, though the LEDs on keyboard and mouse are now active again

I have tried booting with all combinations of the 2 ram sticks and slots but am still getting only a blackscreen.

I am going to try reseating the graphics card today in case I knocked it when taking the ram out - it feels rock solid though, I dont think thats the problem.

My other theory is that its pretty dusty inside the casing and some fluff may have got in to the ram slots. I'm going to turn a cold hairdryer on it to see if blasting the dust out helps.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Meh....still blackscreen after doing all the above. No beeps at all.

I tried taking both ram cards out and booting just to see if there was any different behaviour, but it was the exact same as when I had one or both cards in. This suggests to me that the motherboard just isn't seeing the ram at all.

It could be time to bring in a pro, this is taking up too much of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Reset the CMOS / BIOS

This is achieved by doing one of the following.

Press the BIOS Reset button (If one is available it will be situated on the MOBO near the button battery)

Some MOBO's have a jumper that needs to be removed for 5 Min's & then replaced.

If none of the above options are on your board? just remove the button battery for 5 Min's & then replace again.

Finally. stsrt the machine.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Hey gadgetman,

I tried both the jumper and battery removing suggestions today with no success unfortunately.

Any other ideas?

Advertisement