Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landscape Architechture

Options
  • 22-01-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Are any of you lovely children doing this course, and if so could you give me a realistic picture of what the course actually entails, its one of the only courses that has drawn my attention.

Much thanks to you if information is supplied.

First Post!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Ok, you need to think LONG AND HARD about this one!!! Landscape Architecture is odn eunder the faculty of agriculture (now, "Vet. science and food science") Anyway... This means that the course is very science based! (that may or may not have been obvious to you)

I am currently in fourth yr of a different Ag course however have many friends in Landscape so here is my voew of it....

Ok, some things have changed recently regards modulisation etc so some of this may now be a little different but Im sure the general scheme is still the same. In first year ALL "Ag" students (animal science, food scince, crop and animal production, forestry, lanscape....) cover the same stuff... this is a general SCIENCE yr!!! (I think each course has one subject/module that is unique to their course - MAY have changed recently though)

My first yr (along with all the lanscapers) involved doing chemistry, physics. maths, economics, biology..... and some other stuff thrown in there too! This was all general stuff, not animal/food/land specific - kinda like in school really - just general science!!! That is something that MANY people did not realise (myself included) and is def something taht people should be warnedabout! Im not trying to scare you, these courses are not particularily hard (same Qs come up every yr, a half decent amount of work will sort ya out no prob) the hours can be long - averaging about say about 6 hours of lecture/labs a day. There are chemistry, physics and biology labs in frst yr I think.

Second yr sees the courses split slightly, becoming more specific, Landscape make the biggest split here. The like of soil scince and Ag. chemistry are compulsary here I think. ALOT of the landscape work in done in the studio and is off you own back really - so you need to be self motivated and willing to put in the time and effort. A number of presentation are required also.

Third yr is similar to second yr however this yr the course in totally landscapre specific (as are the other courses respectively) The majority of 3rd yr is re;liant of studio work - projects, presentations etc. BUT, the adcantage of this is that this class I THINK only had TWO exams in third yr (two in total - 2 at christmas I think and none (maybe one) summer!) compared to me who had 12!!!! Would that suit you?

4th year sees the landscapes off to Richview (building up near all weather football pitches) they are on their own up there (no other ag's) and again are very project/studio drivin. Again, VERY few, if any exas in 4th yr!!!!

Through out the course, esp in 2nd yr, the landscapes spend many days out walking around campus, learning as they go - kinda like filed trips!!! The actually have a couple of real filed trips too - always great craic!

AG in general is a very small faculty and great craic! Classes are small (around 20-30 in eachc lass) so its personal, kinda like school - everyone knows everyone else!!!

Hope that help[s a little, do you have any Qs? While one friend of mine HATED it (she was ina bad place at the time anyway) the majority of landscapers love it!!!!

Best of luck, hope that helped a little! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

xeroshero wrote: »
    Ok, you need to think LONG AND HARD about this one!!! Landscape Architecture is odn eunder the faculty of agriculture (now, "Vet. science and food science") Anyway... This means that the course is very science based! (that may or may not have been obvious to you)

No, no it isn't part of Ag science.
    http://www.ucd.ie/arcel/index.html

The landscape architects are based up in the newstead building which they share with the civil engineers. It's up near richview. The Civil Engineers, Architects and Landscape architects are in the one school, as we were told it's a school of the designed environment. This is probably why it's scientific.

Civil Engineer myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tony Harrisons'

Well, its between Radiography, This and Social Science(New Course).

I want something that's either science, people orientated or art, and these three courses that seem to be what I'm looking for.

Too bad there's noone with any actual practical experience, but thanks for the answers anyway.

xeroshero, are you mixing this course up with something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

No, Im not mixing it up - im DEFINITELY talking about the course you asked about. Apologies, it used to be under the faculty of agriculture (along with food science, animal science, animal and crop production (ACP) and a few other course) this was when I started 4 yrs ago, however last year they broke it into two faculties - "the school of agriculture, food science and veternary science" and the other one mentioned above the "School of Architecture, Landscape & Civil Engineering". This does NOT change the course in any way!!!! Yes, Lanscaper's have moved up to (near) Richview, this is a new building for them, hence them only moving towards to end of last yr/this year (they were based in the stuidos of the ag block until then).

Everything I have said about the course, is correct (up until this year anyway unless something changes next year - which I doubt...)

You asked for info, I gave it, whether you choose to believe it or not is your choice. I actually checked with a friend of mine doing the course before posting my original post to ensure I was giving the right info.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

One of my close friends is doing 1st year LArc this year and loves it. It's a lot of work but they seem to have a lot of fun. They have 3 full days of studio each work which involves lot's of drawing and project work and they have a field-trip almost every other week, they've gone to the botanic gardens, the park of remembrance, etc. etc. Their big Christmas project was to redesign the park of remembrance I think. Anyway, apart from studio last semester they had plant biology and history of architecture. It's not an easy course but it seems to be a really enjoyable one, they're a really tight-knit class and you get plenty of personal attention, their building is lovely too, brand new, and each LArc gets their own personal work station thingy. I'm not sure about this semester much but I know he's getting to do 2 hours of photography classes a week (I'm so jealous, :) ) He loves it anywho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement