Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Semi-Final Leg 2 - Spurs vs Arsenal

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

If my memory serves me correct the last time we got a real thrashing was by man utd 6-2, and we all know what happened that season.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Congrats spurs, after nine years the law of averages appears to have bitten back big time.
    Lets hope for another nine!

Walcott needs to be loaned out. Gilberto needs to move on and a DM needs to come in. GK too needs to be looked at.
    Other then than im not really pushed. The squad is good enough for a CL and PL race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

A defence would be nice too tbh. Maybe I'm being too greedy though...

Arsenal did the same thing when they drew with United at the Emirates earlier this season.
    ooohhh will i or wont i bite!

cson wrote: »
    A defence would be nice too tbh. Maybe I'm being too greedy though...

Well with Djouruo and Senderos, clichy and kolo back that will look a bit better. But i think Gilberto was more interested in book his summer holiday then playing tonight. Gave the back 4 no protection at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cracking match, really enjoyed the 90 mins. Fair play to Spurs. About bloody time too!! :D
    Great goal by Robbie and the build up to Lennon's goal was fantastic.

Would love to see Everton go through tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

so would i :)

and oh yeah, i blocked out that 03 cup final loss to blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Don't think I know of a time when I saw an Arsenal team play such garbage. I think Arsene needs to ditch Gilberto, Bendtner and Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't think I know of a time when I saw an Arsenal team play such garbage. I think Arsene needs to ditch Gilberto, Bendtner and Walcott.
    Gilberto, yes. Bendtner had an off night imo - for most of the first half he looked good though, with some loely touches. I reckon he''ll be a very good player. As for Walcott, I reckon they need to loan him out somewhere he'll play every week. He has the raw ability, but he really needs to work on how he uses the ball on the pitch - and the odd sub apearence/league cup game won't be enough in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have to say that's one of my most memorable results as a Spurs fan. I was still nervous, right up until around 85 minutes, as if any team could throw away a 3 goal lead with more than 10 minutes left it's Spurs, but we never really looked too threatened, and always had the counter-attacking threat, even with just Defoe up front.

I was very nervous with the substitutions - basically we sat back for 30 minutes. I know in hindsight it worked a treat but after Adebayor scored, I wondered if it would backfire. Still, a great game for the neutrals to watch, some lovely goals, passion, and a fantastic result for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Congrats to Spurs on reaching the CC final and also for beating their nemesis in a very impressive way, 5-1. Make no mistake about it, this was a solid win, fully deserved in a pulsating match in which Arsenal, who played an A- or a B+ team, and despite Wengers comments afterwards, this was a bad loss for Arsenal - his face and body-language during the match told its own story - he was far from a happy bunny.

This win was a long time coming which makes it all the more sweeter for Spurs fans and the manner of it makes it doubly so. I wish them well in the fina whether against Everton or Chelsea. Chelsea have had a lot of success in this tournament in recent years (as they were one of the few big teams to put out stong starting line-ups for most of the matches, finals apart of course). I suspect that Grant and Abramovich will want to win this competition, irregardless of its importance or financial reward, so I expect a tough game for Everton.

For Arsenal, its a case of licking the wounds. It remains to be seen if this result will affect them in other competitions. They have been hiccuping of late.

As for Spurs ..... enjoy ....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

3M 21. Lukasz Fabianski FULL INTERNATIONAL

6M 3. Bacary Sagna FULL INTERNATIONAL

3M 31. Justin Hoyte U21 INTERNATIONAL

10M 10. William Gallas FULL INTERNATIONAL

3M 30. Armand Traore

15M 13. Alexander Hleb FULL INTERNATIONAL

10M 15. Neves Denilson

5M 19. Gilberto Silva FULL INTERNATIONAL

7M 2. Vassiriki Diaby FULL INTERNATIONAL

10M 32. Theo Walcott FULL INTERNATIONAL

10M 26. Nicklas Bendtner FULL INTERNATIONAL

SUBS
    2M 40. Vito Mannone (GK)

30M 4. Francesc Fabregas FULL INTERNATIONAL

15M 9. Da Silva Eduardo FULL INTERNATIONAL

7M 16. Mathieu Flamini FULL INTERNATIONAL

15M 25. Emmanuel Adebayor FULL INTERNATIONAL

Dont think any of those valuations are way off.

Certainly not 15 million;)

Average age of 23 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Babybing wrote: »
    3M 21. Lukasz Fabianski FULL INTERNATIONAL

6M 3. Bacary Sagna FULL INTERNATIONAL

3M 31. Justin Hoyte U21 INTERNATIONAL

10M 10. William Gallas FULL INTERNATIONAL

3M 30. Armand Traore

15M 13. Alexander Hleb FULL INTERNATIONAL

10M 15. Neves Denilson

5M 19. Gilberto Silva FULL INTERNATIONAL

7M 2. Vassiriki Diaby FULL INTERNATIONAL

10M 32. Theo Walcott FULL INTERNATIONAL

10M 26. Nicklas Bendtner FULL INTERNATIONAL

SUBS
    2M 40. Vito Mannone (GK)

30M 4. Francesc Fabregas FULL INTERNATIONAL

15M 9. Da Silva Eduardo FULL INTERNATIONAL

7M 16. Mathieu Flamini FULL INTERNATIONAL

15M 25. Emmanuel Adebayor FULL INTERNATIONAL

Dont think any of those valuations are way off.

Certainly not 15 million;)

Average age of 23 :)

but the argument should be based on real world cost, not subjective estimations of value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Ah the old makey upy numbers i see, in that case spurs must have had about 50M* just in Robbie Keane

Anyway spurs deserved the win, out played Arsenal in every position. Fabianski was less than impressive in goal. he should have stopped at least two of the goals.

But i think Arsenals main problem was their midfield was non existant. Even when Fab came on, he was giving the ball away far too much. he must have had 3/4 pass that went nowhere near anyone and just rolled out for throws.

*I'm making a guess as to his total transfer cost over all transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3072312,00.html

:eek:

EDIT: Just saw this was on the Adebayor thread. Whoops. I'll leave it here anyway...

• Advertisement

Berbatov must be 150M so there ya go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger claimed afterwards that he had not see the incident saying: "I don't know what you're talking about."

Stop the press! :eek:

Well there was no replay of this "headbutting" incident
    Did anybody see this? Or is it tabloid bul****!

jank wrote: »
    Well there was no replay of this "headbutting" incident
    Did anybody see this? Or is it tabloid bul****!
    Didn't see the headbut but I remember seeing Gallas and Bendtner getting into what looked like a scuffle. Judging from that report it wasn't those two that were fighting, Gallas was just breaking it up.

Much ado really, but I'm sure it won't stop some people looking to find more in what is essentially a nothing story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

gallas confirmed that adey and bendtner had had a little bust up, that they would be asked to explain why they did what they did, i still think if bendtner turns out half as good as he already thinks he is he wil be a very good player..... he does need to lose a bit of the ego though i feel.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Didn't see the headbut but I remember seeing Gallas and Bendtner getting into what looked like a scuffle. Judging from that report it wasn't those two that were fighting, Gallas was just breaking it up.

Much ado really, but I'm sure it won't stop some people looking to find more in what is essentially a nothing story.

yea i saw that alright, Ade and Bendtner having a verbal go at each other.
    Gallas as captian rightly stepped in told Bendtner to shut up and get on with it.

It seems that all there was. Wenger must be right then saying he didnt see it as it seems it didnt happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

cson wrote: »
    Lets just put this into context here; United have won a lot more than Spurs in the last few years, they're fully entitled to celebrate it - huge win over the old enemy, thrashing them 5-1 and they're in a Cup final for the first time in god knows how many years. Go figure.

Fair play to the Tiny Tots ;) fully deserved, they actually look like a decent side! The way they hunted down Arsenal when they weren't in possession was very impressive and shock horror, they actually put a good defensive performance together. And that was a very decent Arsenal side out tonight. Missing only really Almunia, Rosicky, Toure and Clichy (Bar the subs that came on)

Honest, if we had a clappy smilie I'd use it now.

I've experienced some special moments at White Hart Lane over the last few years as a ST holder, 2-1 vs Chelsea last season, the 2nd half of the 2-2 vs Seville, the win vs Bolton that confirmed our Uefa qualification in 2005/06 among them.

Last night kicked the sh1t out of all them. I'm watching the repeat on Sky now, and I can guarantee you the ground was 10 times louder in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Congrats to Spurs. I can take nothing away from their performance. They played us off the park.

I'm going to echo some sentiments here by saying;
    Gilberto needs to be let go. As great a servant to the club he has been in times past, he can no longer cut it hat the highest level.
    Wallcott and Fabianski should both be loaned out. I feel they could be great players, but they need more first team experience, which Arsenal really cant afford to give them much of right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I've got to say, fair play to all you Arsenal fans on here. The vast majority of you are very gracious in defeat and it's nice to see the opposing teams fans congratulating the rival fans when justified, as you have. Bravo!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm sure the FA will still find a way to suspend Adebayor for ten games and fine Arsenal two hundred grand for a grievous assault on the honour of the game or some ****.
    SuprSi wrote: »
    I've got to say, fair play to all you Arsenal fans on here. The vast majority of you are very gracious in defeat and it's nice to see the opposing teams fans congratulating the rival fans when justified, as you have. Bravo!
    One would have to be seriously myopic to be any way otherwise tbh. Spurs were vastly superior in both legs.

Perhaps not surprisingly Ramos has instilled belief into the Spurs team again and has got them looking like the side that was starting to push towards the top 4. Arsenal's B, or in this case, B+ as redspider fairly aptly put it, is good enough to beat or at least match about half of the premiership's teams, but Spurs, particularly at home in front of a pumped up crowd, are close to being a top 4 team, and as we know, there is a big gap between a top 4 side and a bottom 11-20 side.

SuprSi wrote: »

(I can't speak for all of us) but Arsenal fans tend to enjoy football at its purest and Spurs beat us without resorting to sneaky tricks or negative tactics. I know the scoreline was atrocious for us but its better to be hammered by a team that played good football than lose one nil to a team who played ten men behind the ball and got lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Im just glad to see Ramos is surviving, he is a fantastic manager and I was worried the premiership would eat him alive. :D

Galvasean wrote: »
    (I can't speak for all of us) but Arsenal fans tend to enjoy football at its purest
    Ah would you stop! You're making yourself sound like the last bastions of the beautiful game. Every fan of football enjoys football at it's purest. Remember, Arsenal didn't get the nickname "Boring, Boring" for nothing.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I know the scoreline was atrocious for us but its better to be hammered by a team that played good football than lose one nil to a team who played ten men behind the ball and got lucky.

Hey, you leave Greece alone. they were legitimate tactics! :)

Personally, I've always admired arsenal, I've always admired the way theyve played, and consistently performed. In the same way that I've always admired utd's free flowing fast football.

We've had, to say the least, a crap year so far. Our club has been a laughing stock, and justifiably so considering the shenanigans around Levy and Jol. Our performances were on a par with the bottom half of the premier, and we were rightly in that position. We had a manager, who while very affable and likeable, didnt seem to believe in having fit players, and was tactically niave.
    And as spurs supporters, we have taken a lot of stick for it. and rightly so :)

While the club and the fans had great hopes of doing something wonderful this year, a top 4 place, it all fell apart amid a media franzy, and I have to say that as a spurs fan, I felt really let down by the vast majority of 'football' fans who jumped on the 'kick em while theyre down' bandwagon.

But I am heartily delighted to see real fans here who appreciate the hard work our team has done, who have seen the transformation, and who acknowledge the fact that last night, a spurs team convincingly beat a strong arsenal side.
    thank you.

But I am heartily delighted to see real fans here who appreciate the hard work our team has done, who have seen the transformation, and who acknowledge the fact that last night, a spurs team convincingly beat a strong arsenal side.
    thank you.
    In fairness though, only a fool would say otherwise. Credit where credit is due. One of the best matches I've seen in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

anyone catch what fabregas was doing when he went up to the huddle of spurs players after Malbranque scored?

no?

Ah would you stop! You're making yourself sound like the last bastions of the beautiful game. Every fan of football enjoys football at it's purest. Remember, Arsenal didn't get the nickname "Boring, Boring" for nothing.
    Its been a long time since Arsenal were considered a boring team.
    Shhesh, I try to compliment another team and look what happens.

Advertisement