Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moreen area in Sandyford

Options
  • 22-01-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

This is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I'm currently looking to buy a house and I was wondering if anyone knew what the Moreen Rd, Moreen Ave area of Sandyford was like?

The house prices seem to be quite low in comparison to others in the area and I wondered what the reason was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I dont know the area too well, but it would be savage for someone working in Sandyford, and the Luas is not too far away at all. But Im betting the house your thinking about is the one on Moreen Avenue. Its 60 odd grand cheaper than other houses in the area, and its been for sale for 4 or 5 months. I have not been inside it, but I would imagine there is a catch there. Let the buyer beware and all that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

Think deep southside Cherry orchard and you go some way to describing Moreen.

Go doen there on a nice mild Saturday night about 10pm and have a walk around. You get a feel for the place - if you survive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

MrVostro wrote: »
    Think deep southside Cherry orchard and you go some way to describing Moreen.

Go doen there on a nice mild Saturday night about 10pm and have a walk around. You get a feel for the place - if you survive :)

You are talking through your hat I have friends there and have being up 100s of times and never seen any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's a grown up council estate if I remember correctly, handy enough transport (if you use Luas/M50, buses are particularly useless in this area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shakeygumdrop

Thanks for all the info. I had a look at a couple of places. They were pretty nice houses but I'm not too keen on the area. No concrete reason for not liking it, it just doesn't have a homey feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Blk150

Put it this way.If my car was stolen the first thing id do after phoning the guards would be take a look around in moreen.Complete kip:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shaz67

you know, people like you make me sick. am living in moreen for past 35 years and have never ever had a problem with anyone in it. manys the night i have left my car open or forgotten to lock the door. nothing has ever been touched so maybe its the joyriders from your place that leave the remnants of cars around sandyford.great community spirit around here, couldnt live in a nicer place or wish for nicer neighbours either.Kids are well catered for i.e youth groups and clubs and of course the transport system is second to none!!! so keep your nasty comments to yourself until you done some proper research on the area. many of the residents have been here since 1975 when the estate was built, so that says alot for the atmosphere of the place. I am from moreen and am very proud of our estate.Wud'nt wish to live anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Carpenter wrote: »
    You are talking through your hat I have friends there and have being up 100s of times and never seen any hassle

Lol.. Live in Sandyford Village myself and the reputation, while bad, is somewhat justified.. It certainly isn't a nice area going by experiences of cycling through it on countless occassions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 melabeliath

I'm also looking to buy property around that area.
    Any feedback guys? Is Moreen estate a 'safe place' to live with your family?
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm from Stillorgan/Blackrock. About 17 years ago when I was in my mid-teens Moreen had a really bad reputation (full of skangers).

Sandyford has come a long way since then so it has probably gentrified quite a bit.

But the best way to know for yourself is to spend some time walking around there during the day and at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I lived in Sandyford for the guts of 20 years and grew up there. I cycled through Moreen on the way to and from school, then college literally thousands of times over that period and never had any issue (bar the odd dog that didn't like cyclists!). This included at night time.

It's not Foxrock but it's a fine and safe area. Maybe 20 years ago it would have been a slightly different place but Sandyford as a whole is a rejuvenated place. The Sandyford 'Industrial Estate' used to be just that with a few battered factories. It's now a top class business centre. On the other side of Moreen, Dundrum Shopping centre (i won't call it town centre!) is pretty close. All the development means the area as a whole has naturally improved drastically too.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Moreen. I find the layout and the feel of the estate grey and depressing. There will be some lovely houses there though and safety/security wouldn't be an issue. The facilities around Sandyford in terms of a family growing up there are excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Yeah i grew up beside moreen. It wasn't great 20 years ago,lot of antisocial behaviour going on!!! But its a posh southside suburb so its never gonna be too dangerous!! ;) As far as I know its not bad now, with industrial estate and dundrum theres an influx of a different types of people! Hopefully thats helped loosen it up a bit!! (avoid the Balally Inn at all costs tho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

sambuka41 wrote: »
    avoid the Balally Inn at all costs tho

A truly excellent piece of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I lived in Sandyford for the guts of 20 years and grew up there. I cycled through Moreen on the way to and from school, then college literally thousands of times over that period and never had any issue (bar the odd dog that didn't like cyclists!). This included at night time.

It's not Foxrock but it's a fine and safe area. Maybe 20 years ago it would have been a slightly different place but Sandyford as a whole is a rejuvenated place. The Sandyford 'Industrial Estate' used to be just that with a few battered factories. It's now a top class business centre. On the other side of Moreen, Dundrum Shopping centre (i won't call it town centre!) is pretty close. All the development means the area as a whole has naturally improved drastically too.

he he Sandyford Industrial Estate = Top class empty spaces.
    It was better years ago when as you put it it was battered old factories, at least they and the smaller office parks were open doing something doing rather than Microsoft (one of their buildings owners is seanie fitzpatrick AFAIK) and a whole lot of emtpy office spaces, small empty warehouse/offices and a big hole in the ground coutesy of fleming.
    sambuka41 wrote: »
    .. (avoid the Balally Inn at all costs tho)

Ah now I found it quiet an interesting place to go for soup and sandwiches at lunch. ;)
    Decor could do with bit of upgrading alright.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3 melabeliath

Thanks guys,

One has to be very careful when buying a house, especially when he has a small family growing.
    I think I'd still go for the area - it seems that it has become a more 'quiet' since 10-15 years ago.
    If, however, any of you has any additional information/advice, please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nickyone

Hi All,

I am going to move to Sandyford, there are so many new apartments available to rent with reasonable price, the only thing I don't know is this place good and safe to live there ?
    Thanks in advance

Is Sandyford Industrial Estate nice place to live there today ? Please share your experience, I am going to move there to rent a lovely appartment but not familiar with the area, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One of my best friends grew up in Moreen, and while he got a bit of stick for being a bit posh it was light hearted. Never had any problems at all, never beaten up at night and he would have walked through the estate at night from the old 44 bus stop on the Sandyford Rd.

I would say it's well settled since then (20 odd years ago)

duplicate

thanks borderlinemeath, could you tell me a little bit about Sandyford Industrial Estate, please, is this place safe and peaceful ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Don't really know the industrial estate that well, it was much smaller years ago, it's grown hugely with the M50, but having driven through it - it seems like a nice industrial estate, some of them seem to be a bit bleak and desolate but it seems fairly ok.

thanks borderlinemeath, just came back from Sandyford Ind. Estate saw appartments in Cubes, they are very small, I have few appointments next week, hope will get nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nickyone, the apartments in cubes are small, try grand central, or one beacon court... or any of the other blocks up there, I reckon cubes are smallest by quite a bit! in relation to Moreen, I used to live in beacon court, there were scum bags around alright alright, I really couldnt care about being politically correct at this stage, thats probably understandable considering I had the bloody wing mirror kicked off my car (E250 for secondhand mirror and to fit and spray, and that was bloody cheap) and they tried to smash the window, this happened to me once, after that I had to pay for secure parking in one of the apartment blocks. I was forever seeing car windscreens smashed in, wipers ripped off and wing mirrors ripped off. (this was on the road that runs along all the fields on the left, the beacon court etc) that was bout 3 years ago, not sure if its still happening, and Id say a very small amount of scum bags were involved, but Im just giving you my verdict! also go up there to the shops, have you seen the security men, they are not there for the laugh... So while im not saying its Beirut, i wouldnt exactly call it ballsbridge! just checked, my god there are alot of houses for sale in Moreen! also if these houses were not in Moreen and a mere few hundred metres away in one of the other estates, they would be fetching a hell of alot more!
    I am going to move to Sandyford, there are so many new apartments available to rent with reasonable price, the only thing I don't know is this place good and safe to live there ?
    Thanks in advance

i would not want to live in the beacon court again due to the sheer traffic and noise at that junction, other than that yes the place is a good place to live, there is a great dunnes, obriens etc there. It is very safe, whatever gurriers there are, would always shop at the supervalu, chinese etc and only venture onto other side of drummartin road to either access luas or go down to fields for a kick around or knacker drink id imagine... They have no reason to venture where all of the apartments are located...

Advertisement